General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Nov-11 20:03:38
Print Post

RE: BT Wholesale Postcode Checker

[link to this post]

Note to Mods - it may be worth making this a sticky as it's a question being raised quite a lot at the moment?

Note to anyone trying to determine FTTC availability

I would recommend ignoring and not using the BT wholesale "postcode" checker in any shape or form. It is simply inaccurate.

Basically, it will always say FTTC is available if your exchange has FTTC enabled/planned, regardless of whether your cabinet is to support FTTC. I don't know why BT can't fix this so that at least postcodes that are served by one cab only, and that cab is not being upgraded, can correctly report that it's not available.

You should only take note of what the address and telephone checker reports, and not the postcode checker as it cannot be relied upon at all.

The checker in question is https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Thanks,

James

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk

Edited by Adsl24 (Sat 05-Nov-11 20:07:13)

Standard User rhino7
(newbie) Sat 05-Nov-11 22:32:41
Print Post

Re: RE: BT Wholesale Postcode Checker

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

It may also fail to mention that a fibre product is available when it is. My cabinet (which serves all the properties in my postcode) went live recently and I'm up and running with Infinity, but the postcode checker makes no mention whatsoever that anything other than ASDL is available.

BTBroadband (Infinity)
ROUTER:-Netgear SRXN3205
Sync 40000D 10000U

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Nov-11 22:45:10
Print Post

[re: rhino7] [link to this post]

What does this one says?
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 06-Nov-11 02:55:17
Print Post

I beg to differ smile Same exchange.

--

For Postcode GU34 2PP

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 15Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 8.5Mbps and 19Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

--

For Postcode GU34 2PQ

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 20 Mbps and upstream line speed of 12.6 Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Nov-11 03:08:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
I would recommend ignoring and not using the BT wholesale "postcode" checker in any shape or form. It is simply inaccurate.

Basically, it will always say FTTC is available if your exchange has FTTC enabled/planned, regardless of whether your cabinet is to support FTTC. I don't know why BT can't fix this so that at least postcodes that are served by one cab only, and that cab is not being upgraded, can correctly report that it's not available.
This isn't strictly true. My exchange, Vauxhall WRVAUX is FTTC enabled as are the cabs surrounding where I live however I and all others with my postcode (some 69+ properties) have 2km+ EO lines and the postode checker does NOT show FTTC as being available.
Standard User rhino7
(newbie) Sun 06-Nov-11 06:58:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What does this one says?
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

It's the same:

=========================================================
For Postcode PR4 0LW

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
=========================================================

No mention of any fibre option yet I already have Infinity installed!

BTBroadband (Infinity)
Sync 40000D 10000U

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Nov-11 08:47:49
Print Post

[re: rhino7] [link to this post]

I wonder if these two cases have the FTTC supplied from a different head-end exchange. Perhaps the post code belongs to the local one so (incorrectly) shows no FTTC, but the address and phone number pick up reality.

Is the local exchange WBC-enabled? If not, I'm probably right. If it is, I may or may not be.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 06-Nov-11 08:48:35)

Standard User rhino7
(newbie) Sun 06-Nov-11 10:19:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The exchange (LCAOR) has been WBC enabled for quite some time. Both the copper phone line and the fibre are definitely both connected to the same exchange. I think that it must just be that the checker is not complete as I've tried postcodes for other streets all around me (connected to the same cabinet) and they show that fibre is available. The address checker for properties on my street also shows that it is available.

BTBroadband (Infinity)
Sync 40000D 10000U

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to