General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User schander
(newbie) Tue 08-Nov-11 08:49:42
Print Post

Sub exchange not listed

[link to this post]

Hi all,
I'm not sure this is the correct forum, but here goes.
I have been looking into getting fibre for a while now and I thought i was connected to the main Bedford exchange, most checkers list me as being connected to that (bt wholesale, samkows etc). However, after firing off yet another email to BT, I got a callback and was put through to the UK Infinity team.
The advisor said that I was attached to a different exchange Bedford East which serves only 1900 connections and that it was being upgraded the 22nd of this month with Infinity available from the 29th. This make sense as either side of the estate where I live can get Infinity. To me this would mean that there is an exchange just for my estate, which is weird. This document makes sense now, as it says Bedford town, rather than Bedford .

So my question is how do I find out about the exchange the advisor mentioned? Or was the advisor just fobbing me off....

Regards
Satpal

Edited by schander (Tue 08-Nov-11 08:51:47)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Nov-11 08:57:34
Print Post

Re: Sub exchange not listed

[re: schander] [link to this post]

Bedford East must be a well hidden exchange then...

They might just mean the cabinets serving Bedford East are not being upgraded until 22nd, which makes more sense.
FTTC is less about the exchange, and more about the green street cabinets

Have you checked for Virgin Media cable coverage? Most of Bedford appears to have it as an option

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User schander
(newbie) Tue 08-Nov-11 09:19:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick response.
Yes it makes sense about the cabinets. Just that having looked at houses just outside my estate all have Infinity, again that's probably just cabinets. I think the cabinet that serves me is about 20 yards outside my front door and is grey not green (I have seen Openreach vans outside it before).

On Virign, well this is and interesting story. The older half my estate (11+yrs) has Virgin, however when NTL, as it was back then (6-7+ years ago) when the newer half of the estate was being built they ran out of money and didn't lay the cabling so newer part doesn't have virgin frown

Thank again for the quick response.

Satpal

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Nov-11 09:59:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

There's a fuzzy recollection in my head about there being a "sub exchange" feasability trial somewhere as an alternative to TPON. Maybe this is it?

A cursory google isn't showing much up though.
Standard User Ribble
(member) Tue 08-Nov-11 10:10:34
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

Bedford does have a fair amount of TPON. Likely that is what the grey cabinets are
Standard User schander
(newbie) Tue 08-Nov-11 10:24:11
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Bedford does have a fair amount of TPON. Likely that is what the grey cabinets are

This make sense as way back when i first moved into the house almost 6 years ago. I was told adsl was not available, one of the reasons was that there was fibre between my house and the exchange. I eventually got adsl, but it took a while.

How can I find out more about TPON in Bedford?

Regards
Satpal
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Nov-11 10:58:21
Print Post

TPON did occur to me

Generally the BT Wholesale checker reflects TPON lines, though if you have ADSL now you are on a copper line already.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Tue 08-Nov-11 12:44:26
Print Post

Interesting. Could they have put in a new exchange (presumably a couple of concentrator units) instead of new copper back to exchange to get rid of tpon? Or maybe it was just for estate.

Either way sounds like good news.
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Nov-11 13:48:24
Print Post

Care to PM me your postcode? I'll find out for sure.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User schander
(newbie) Tue 08-Nov-11 14:05:35
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
Care to PM me your postcode? I'll find out for sure.

PM'd & Thanks

Satpal
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to