General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Saltank
(member) Wed 09-Nov-11 23:12:16
Print Post

new building

[link to this post]

I need to set up FTTC for a new flat, but because the building is new, there has never been a BT line registered, VM is not available, and post code checkers only bring up the correct address on the Royal Mail's website.

I was told 'everyone gets Sky' in the buildings nearby, so naturally I want to know how can I find out if it's possible to speed up the process of getting a landline and even, if FTTC is enabled?

The exchange is Colindale and it says FTTC is enabled in some areas and I've seen the new cabinets installed, but then again BT have told me "no such address exists" so has anyone experienced something similar?

(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Nov-11 09:39:02
Print Post

Re: new building

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

Getting the phone line installed is not so much of an issue, if it's a new build and never had any phone line then the provider would just get a new address built for the location, then it would just be a point of the next available engineer appointment.

As for finding out if FTTC is there, knock on the door of one of the neighbours in the block and see if they will give you their phone number and then pop it into the BT Wholesale checker.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Nov-11 14:51:21
Print Post

PM me the postcode and I'll see what info it gives.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Saltank
(member) Thu 10-Nov-11 20:19:12
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Can't really knock on the door of the neighbours, there aren't any yet smile
The only positive thing I've heard from the estate agents was that some other tenants in a nearby building had the same issues and they managed to order Sky TV+Broadband. Of course I'm not after that, I need proper broadband asap smile

(member) Thu 10-Nov-11 20:21:07
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
PM me the postcode and I'll see what info it gives.

PM Sent
This is amazing, the road doesn't exist in any sat nav or Google Maps (but the satellite image shows the buildings and the road!), except for Bing, which has the road.
The post code doesn't work anywhere, but I've got a post redirection working with Royal Mail, so their 'system' is the only place that knows this place even exists.

(Unregistered)Thu 10-Nov-11 21:33:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Saltank:
...with Royal Mail, so their 'system' is the only place that knows this place even exists.

If Royal Mail didn't know your post code, you wouldn't have one!

Ask your preferred broadband suppliers to invest in some decent address finder software: i.e. software that uses the Royal Mail's database - the definitive source of UK post codes!.
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Nov-11 22:22:02
Print Post

Your property should be on cab 50, like every other postcode (such as NW9 5EW) closeby. Properties left and right of where you are are on cab 50.

Cab 50 is planned to have FTTC, but according to Openreach records this is not yet enabled. Most others in the exchange area are, so it's likely just to be a matter of time.

Of course I can't 100% gaurantee this but it's more than likely to be cab 50. So you can't get FTTC just yet but should do so not too far in the future smile

James

James
ADSL24 Broadband
Standard User Saltank
(member) Thu 10-Nov-11 23:14:41
Print Post

Thank you for that information, I am humbled!

Will have to take up a short term ADSL2+ connection meanwhile, I suppose.

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Nov-11 08:41:19
Print Post

Be sure to keep us in mind as we can do monthly contracts until FTTC is available smile

James
ADSL24 Broadband
Standard User Saltank
(member) Fri 11-Nov-11 12:02:01
Print Post

Will do, thanks!
Now I have to try and find an ADSL2+ provider that does 3 months contracts. It seems BE stopped doing them frown

Jump to