General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User reddev86
(regular) Fri 11-Nov-11 00:36:47
Print Post

FTTC on BT wholesale checker

[link to this post]

OK, I've had FTTC for over a year. Just now I checked the wholesale checker to see if my estimate had been updated to be more accurate in that time I've been connected.

It clearly hasn't been....

"Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 11th December 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 26.6Mbps and upstream line speed of 11.1Mbps."

What the hell is going on there? My cabinet was enabled in phase 2 of the roll-out, around about March/April 2010, and I've had it since then.

FTTC via Plusnet Fibre Extra Pro
33mbit down, capped to 2Mbit up
NILN exchange - 550m from cabinet
Netgear WNR1000

Edited by reddev86 (Fri 11-Nov-11 00:46:17)

Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Nov-11 08:38:05
Print Post

Re: FTTC on BT wholesale checker

[re: reddev86] [link to this post]

This normally means that they are having to perform an upgrade of capacity to the cabinet (as the original 100 copper pair they would have initially linked in from the old cab) has probably been taken up - so they just update the checker to show the ETA for new orders to be placed.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User reddev86
(regular) Fri 11-Nov-11 09:02:38
Print Post

Re: FTTC on BT wholesale checker

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Thanks for clearing that up, I never thought of that. Probably because I was expecting my speed to drop closer to the estimate of 26Meg by the time the cabinet was filling up.

If the cab capacity now needs expanded, I'd have expected my speed to be dropping as a result of crosstalk.

Interestingly though, I've had roughly the same sync speed, and IP profile since install, in fact it's actually went up by about 2Meg since install, and not because of 17a, because I'm still on 8c.

Who knows....

FTTC via Plusnet Fibre Extra Pro
33mbit down, capped to 2Mbit up
NILN exchange - 550m from cabinet
Netgear WNR1000

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to