General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User andylong42
(learned) Fri 11-Nov-11 12:32:40
Print Post

BT replacing modem - why?

[link to this post]

Hi

I have been called by BT to arrange for a replacement modem. Apparently there have been "lots of people with issues", but my connection has been solid. What is the reason for this and what problems have people been having? Will the new modem improve anything for me?
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Fri 11-Nov-11 12:44:01
Print Post

Re: BT replacing modem - why?

[re: andylong42] [link to this post]

There have been a lot of failures of the VDSL modem - I'm on my second. In my case there was little warning of any problem (played up a bit one Sunday, died totally the next day).

The problems might (or there again might not) be related to overheating.

If your current modem is working OK then a new one probably won't "improve" things.

Do you know what your connection speed is (the IP profile speed reported by the BT speed test)? Or your sync speed?

Edited by mr_bean (Fri 11-Nov-11 12:45:25)

Standard User andylong42
(learned) Fri 11-Nov-11 12:53:42
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

Hi thanks for the reply,

My profile is 25373 down/10000 up

I currently get 20359 down/4920 up

Does this tell you much? Is there much scope for squeezing a bit more out of the line?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mr_bean
(member) Fri 11-Nov-11 13:24:26
Print Post

Is there much scope for squeezing a bit more out of the line?

I doubt that another OR modem will change things much - I think the hardware's essentially identical (rumours of better heat transfer from the main chip mostly).

There aren't many alternatives though - certainly not enough to be able to say such-and-such is better for long VDSL lines as was possible for ADSL.

Bottom line is your sync might go either way following the modem change (especially if they're doing other work on the cabinet at the same time as changing modems), also they're moving everyone to 17a which has seen speeds go up a bit.

If you'd been syncing at full speed we could be pretty certain that wouldn't change
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-Nov-11 13:45:29
Print Post

Also worth mounting the modem on the wall, flat surface using the template that is on the instruction sheet in the box using a couple of screws. Is better ventilated and so maybe less problems, I was given a newer one after moaning it was slow and just put back on the screws the old duff one was, might not be needed now but if it stays cooler by the hot air rising up and out through the side vents instead of sitting on a desk with the top upwoards and getting hotter than needed then good stuff and all helps. I questioned this when the thing was installed in the summer and he said no need. Not what people on the web site think so I did mine the upwards wall way.
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Fri 11-Nov-11 13:58:58
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Min was wall mounted from the beginning and never seemed to run that hot - still died!
Standard User Ribble
(member) Fri 11-Nov-11 14:30:01
Print Post

Apparently this work has been contracted out to Kelly Communications, so dont be too surprised if they dont appear to be Openreach personell.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Fri 11-Nov-11 14:42:04
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Does anyone know whether ISPs other than BT are doing this proactively?

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Nov-11 17:53:28
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

The recall/swap out will be ran by Openreach, so affecting all ISPs

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to