General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Nov-11 23:24:51
Print Post

LLU and FTTC

[link to this post]

An exchange can be FTTC enabled, but not WBC enabled, by the FTTC cabinets being connected to a WBC-enabled exchange. It is fair enough to describe the initial exchange as FTTC enabled because some or all of the PSTN lines connected to it can get FTTC.

But what happens if the non-WBC exchange has TT LLU and the WBC-enabled one doesn't? (Or are there no such cases - yet!?)

I would assume TT would not then be able to offer FTTC on the non-WBC exchange. Anybody know?

If the WBC-enabled one has TT LLU then the reverse effect is feasible.

Case 1, as above, TT could supply FTTC via that one.

Case 2, only the WBC-enabled one has TT LLU, but TT would still be able to offer FTTC to their non-LLU customers on the non-LLU'ed exchange. I would imagine this case can easily occur.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 13-Nov-11 09:41:30
Print Post

Re: LLU and FTTC

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think the presence of TT LLU or WBC in an area where there is FTTC availablility is irrelevant, as FTTC from TT is the same as other ISP's offering FTTC, it runs over the BT network not TT's own that they've installed as part of their LLU rollout.

So the same rules still apply - if you want WBC, your exchange has to have this. If you want TT LLU, your exchange has to have this. If you want FTTC, your cabinet has to be enabled, but it doesn't matter which exchange it is fed from, or what LLU equipment is in either exchange.

Or am I missunderstanding? smile

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Nov-11 10:04:31
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
as FTTC from TT is the same as other ISP's offering FTTC, it runs over the BT network not TT's own that they've installed as part of their LLU rollout.

That I think is the crux of the question - does TT FTTC not use GEA at the handover exchange but uses WBC ? I'd be surprised if TT uses WBC FTTC due to costs, but obviously its not impossible. smile

I'd have assumed that TT would have unbundled the "major" exchange where the fibre is run back to; since they've unbundled quite a few smaller exchanges well ahead of Sky and any other.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 13-Nov-11 10:15:42
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Fair point. I think TT offer FTTC at any enabled excahnge though, so if that is the case, they cannot be relying on GEA or their own backbone from the exchange as not all FTTC exchanges have TT, although most of them are in NI which TT have not enabled.

Hmm... an example is WWSAGN in Truro. This has FTTC but not much else, including TT LLU.

Upon checking availability on TT's website it says FTTC will be available in May 2012, but the exchange was enabled in March 2011. The cabinet in question is also live since March 2011.

Maybe this is when TT plan to enable this exchange for TT LLU too? That would indeed mean that TT only accept FTTC when the exchange that feeds the copper line to the premise is enabled for TT LLU, regardless of if the exchange that serves the FTTC cablinet (if different) has TT LLU. That would make sense of course as the voice part of the line still goes back to the actual excahnge the copper line is fed from, not where the FTTC cab is fed from.

Interesting though..

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk

Edited by Adsl24 (Sun 13-Nov-11 10:27:47)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Nov-11 22:55:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
hen TT plan to enable this exchange for TT LLU too? That would indeed mean that TT only accept FTTC when the exchange that feeds the copper line to the premise is enabled for TT LLU, regardless of if the exchange that serves the FTTC cablinet (if different) has TT LLU. That would make sense of course as the voice part of the line still goes back to the actual excahnge the copper line is fed from, not where the FTTC cab is fed from.

I think your analysis agrees with what I recall reading that TT were the first users of GEA.

I think TT only want MPF customers now, even with the "fibre boost" add on - I don't see any pricing for broadband only (SMPF) on their website.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Nov-11 13:59:17
Print Post

It does get complex doesn't it! I think a crucial question here is whether or not "I think TT offer FTTC at any enabled exchange" is correct. As jchamier thinks, I also believe TT use a GEA handover to themselves, not a WBC feed.

The phone bundling aspect I intended to be implicit in my opening post, as I was assuming that even on non-LLU ADSLx they still wanted the phone rental, though on WLR rather than MPF.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Nov-11 18:56:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It does get complex doesn't it! I think a crucial question here is whether or not "I think TT offer FTTC at any enabled exchange" is correct. As jchamier thinks, I also believe TT use a GEA handover to themselves, not a WBC feed.

Since TT have even unbundled my mate's exchange (THHW) with 2000 properties and no chance of fibre, I guess TT are planning that they'll have unbundled all the exchanges where BTOR install FTTC. TT have unbundled some really remote exchanges, including NSFRS which was a massive surprise.

The phone bundling aspect I intended to be implicit in my opening post, as I was assuming that even on non-LLU ADSLx they still wanted the phone rental, though on WLR rather than MPF.

Ah, I'd forgotten about WLR. I know there are some TT broadband users who have BTW phone lines, but I suspect they're quite rare.

Maybe TT use a concentration of WLR users to determine where next to unbundle. I know people who live in TTHW's areas were constantly accosted when shopping in neighbouring towns that had been unbundled!!

Print Thread

Jump to