General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rodneyf2
(newbie) Thu 24-Nov-11 15:38:56
Print Post

No FTTC on Brentwood exchange

[link to this post]

All the information sheets available from Openreach show Brentwood exchange as "Already accepting orders". However when I put my telephone number into any ISP site they show it as not enabled for FTTC. Openreach refuse to tell me why this is so. Can anyone help?

Rodney
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Nov-11 15:44:12
Print Post

Re: No FTTC on Brentwood exchange

[re: rodneyf2] [link to this post]

Your local cabinet might not be upgraded yet.

But some in the area might be done which is why it shows as accepting orders.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
29.5Mbit down / 5.5Mbit up
Standard User rodneyf2
(newbie) Thu 24-Nov-11 16:06:43
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:
Your local cabinet might not be upgraded yet.

But some in the area might be done which is why it shows as accepting orders.

Then why won't they tell me when I will be able to get an FTTC service? Surely they are responsible for the infrastructure.

Rodney

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Nov-11 17:43:35
Print Post

Normally if the checker is not showing any dates it means your cabinet may not even be planned, in which case you won't be able to get FTTC at all. PM me your postcode and I can check a few things for you.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Nov-11 18:37:12
Print Post

Because there may be no date planned for your cabinet.

The roll-out is proceeding at such a pace, that they do what they can reasonably in each area and move on, with possibly more added at a later date.

Averages for FTTC enabled exchanges are in the 40 to 85% range. It is so rare to do 100% that when BT did in Derry NI, it got a press release.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User shrimper1
(member) Thu 24-Nov-11 20:03:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by rodneyf2:
All the information sheets available from Openreach show Brentwood exchange as "Already accepting orders". However when I put my telephone number into any ISP site they show it as not enabled for FTTC. Openreach refuse to tell me why this is so. Can anyone help?

Rodney

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EABRW

This Sam Knows link says FTTC available in some areas of Brentwood. So your lucky, as our date for Rayleigh, has slipped back from March 2012 to December 2012 frown
Standard User rodneyf2
(newbie) Mon 28-Nov-11 09:51:37
Print Post

So nobody thinks it's wrong that Openreach won't communicate the facts? They may be a company in the private sector but since they remain (at the wholesale level) a monopoly supplier shouldn't there be some accountablity?

Rodney
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Nov-11 13:43:01
Print Post

If the FTTC in the area is purely done with their own money, then they are free to do as they wish. Ofcom has imposed no specific rules on full disclosure of roll-out plans.

What is known if that Openreach do not enable all cabinets on an exchange usually. So there will be some that miss out, in another couple of years this may improve.

They are playing within the rules as they stand currently.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-11 14:10:54
Print Post

[re: shrimper1] [link to this post]

Yes a pain, we had been planning a new office there, but now we have had to change location to Leigh for our new office as that exchange now has everything (almost)

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Tue 29-Nov-11 13:37:09
Print Post

BT/Openreach are worst at informing you of changes that occur anytime after the original roll-out of an individual exchange.

They *do* add to coverage after an exchange has gone live, but it is a royal pain trying to discover what the plans are. This includes cabinets that have been installed, but the deployment has stalled for some reason (such as power installation); cabinets delayed by planning permission; cabinets pushed back to a later phase.

I've even seen cabinets get delayed that sit right out on the border to the neighbouring exchange. The delays look to me suspiciously like they are planning to connect the fibre for those cabinets into the neighbouring exchange instead!

I agree that it is wrong - but not in the sense that they should be forced to due to being a monopoly. In fact, I think they hold back because they *aren't* a monopoly any longer.

Where I think they are wrong is that keeping people in the dark reflects badly on them as an open company. I think they'd do better if they chose to keep people better informed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to