General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User izools
(experienced) Sun 27-Nov-11 11:08:56
Print Post

When is 80/20 planned

[link to this post]

Currently have VM Fibre 50/5 which is a pretty good service except for latency all over the shop...

My postcode was originally planned for FTTP but it seems that this has now been scrapped as my postcode / house number states FTTC is available.

Does anyone know when OR are planning on rolling out the 80M service?

Also, James, if I give you my postcode and house number are you able to tell me how far I am from my cab so I get a guestimate of the sort of speed I could expect on FTTC? The flats are wired with Cat5 for the phones so no internal wiring issues thankfully smile

Delivered over 5GHz 802.11N via a Netgear DGND3300
Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Nov-11 11:36:49
Print Post

Re: When is 80/20 planned

[re: izools] [link to this post]

The trials start on 8th January and at present the 80/20 product is due to "go live" in April.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Nov-11 14:01:22
Print Post

[re: griff_90] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by griff_90:
The trials start on 8th January and at present the 80/20 product is due to "go live" in April.

That's a bit worrying.
I hope BT get some more capacity by then as my Infinity product is already showing all the classic signs of an over-subscribed network.
Connection is (and has always been) at full speed (as has the IP profile), speed test results over the last few weeks have been all over the place. I've done three speed tests today, one @ 36Mbps, one @ 22Mbps, one @ 32Mbps.
Usenet downloads are exhibiting the same "capacity" issues. Sometimes they'll rattle along at full speed, but evenings and weekends have a habit of dropping towards 20Mbps.
It's only been like this for a few weeks, so I assume BT have now connected a couple of us [on the same exchange] and they're running out of bandwidth capacity wink

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 40Mbps
UL Sync 10Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-Nov-11 15:03:09
Print Post

[re: griff_90] [link to this post]

Hey Griff_90 Do you know how to get on the trail for 80/20 with BT. Im already with there FTTC service now and synced at 40000/10000. Should i give them ring or maybe see if i can talk to someone on the bt website? If anyone can help, it will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 27-Nov-11 15:33:47
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

To be honest, some people (myself included) did warn when the price of Infinity (as oppossed to other providers offerings) was announced that the CBR has obviously not changed much, and that contention at peak times may be an issue.

The capacity is invariably not going to be on the Openreach segment, but on the access or internet segments that BT Retail rent from BT Wholesale

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Nov-11 15:34:06
Print Post

I don't bother with speed tests as they seem to have trouble with FTTC connections. I have had two different speed testers run one after the other and get very different speeds (one even shows I have an upload of 13Mbps - not bad for a 10Mbps sync!).

I have also noticed a varying download with newsgroups, however, it seems to vary according to the provider in use. I always get max download from Giganews but Astraweb can be variable (sometimes max, sometimes not).

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User reddev86
(regular) Sun 27-Nov-11 15:43:24
Print Post

Ive hopefully got a place on the trial. I have my name down for it anyway, though I believe places are gonna be very limited.

My line wont reach anywhere near 80, but im hoping for around 50. Hopefully they'll allow less than perfect lines to take part in the trial also.

I've never had any throughput issues via Plusnet. Constantly get 95% of my IP profile, which is 38717k. So yes I'd say it's a BT retail contention issue, and not Openreach/Wholesale, not surprising really, given the low price.

FTTC via Plusnet Fibre Extra Pro
DS: 39999 US: capped to 2000
NILN exchange - 550m from cabinet
Netgear WNR1000
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-Nov-11 16:14:20
Print Post

[re: reddev86] [link to this post]

redev86 may i ask how you got your name took down? Also im not sure what ill get on 80/20 but the cabinet is at the bottam of my street which im guessing is around 100-200m so im confident it will be a good improvement even though im more than happy with what ive got. Ive been with infinity since september and must say the service has been prettymuch flawless getting speedtests of 37.5meg or more and 8 meg up. The only flaw is the router with wireless drops outs on my laptop and for some reason not all the ethernet ports are working properly in that one of the ports get terrible latency and sometimes not the full speed. The problem seems to be port 4 and port 2 so I just use xbox on port 1 and computer on port 3, so probably going to get a new router and may ask for a new 1 of bt. finger crossed my exchange dont get congested as i was the 2nd person on my exchange to be put on bt infinity and the engineer was actually the first one he said. I know all the cabinets are not connected up in my area as my friend round the corner from me about 5mins walk can't get it yet and is stuck on his 1mb connection (haha). There is also website on my area which was made by adsl24 which helped alot aswell to knowing which cabinets were going live.
Standard User reddev86
(regular) Sun 27-Nov-11 17:25:48
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
redev86 may i ask how you got your name took down?

Depends on your ISP, Plusnet had a thread on their forums where you could post to express your interest in taking part. Not sure about BT or others.

FTTC via Plusnet Fibre Extra Pro
DS: 39999 US: capped to 2000
NILN exchange - 550m from cabinet
Netgear WNR1000
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-Nov-11 17:48:57
Print Post

[re: reddev86] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply reddev86, ill just try and ring them when i've got the chance.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to