General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jezthomp
(newbie) Wed 30-Nov-11 11:24:49
Print Post

Good news for my exchange?

[link to this post]

So for a while now my exchange has been due for upgrade in March 12, as everyone probably knows this means diddly squat so had my fingers crossed.

So i checked again recently on the openreach site and its still on there for March.

I then checked on the BT site Infinity checker putting in my BT phone no, it nows says due March 12 from my actual phone no not address.

Image here.. http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2408/screenshot20...

So is this the final good news and once its all up and running i'll be able to get it? smile

Or still could be pulled? frown
Standard User James8282
(learned) Wed 30-Nov-11 11:33:00
Print Post

Re: Good news for my exchange?

[re: jezthomp] [link to this post]

I think its good news its planned!

The date could slip several time tho, mine did 4 times a 1 year delay! However it was worth the wait smile

Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Thu 01-Dec-11 01:52:29
Print Post

It could be pulled - there are things that can go wrong right up to the end.

It is more likely to slip. In fact it is almost certain to slip while it has a "placeholder"-type of date (ie the end of the quarter). Placeholder dates are just that - a raw indication of the rough position within BT's plans. When it gets to mid-March, all the cabinets that still have placeholder dates for end-march will then be bulk-updated to end-June. In mid-June, they'll all be updated to end-September. And on each bulk-update, there will be howls of protest in the forums.

The only true indication of when the cabinet is ready is that the date changes from a placeholder into a real date sometime within the 2 weeks after the date it changes. Once that happens, you can get excited. But if it stays as a placeholder, then don't bother getting excited.

And even after the cabinet has been installed, and all the neighbouring ones have gone live, things can still go wrong, and dates slip by another 6 months.

It can be infuriating, even if you know that you shouldn't be getting any hopes up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jezthomp
(learned) Thu 01-Dec-11 07:10:06
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
It could be pulled - there are things that can go wrong right up to the end.

It is more likely to slip. In fact it is almost certain to slip while it has a "placeholder"-type of date (ie the end of the quarter). Placeholder dates are just that - a raw indication of the rough position within BT's plans. When it gets to mid-March, all the cabinets that still have placeholder dates for end-march will then be bulk-updated to end-June. In mid-June, they'll all be updated to end-September. And on each bulk-update, there will be howls of protest in the forums.

The only true indication of when the cabinet is ready is that the date changes from a placeholder into a real date sometime within the 2 weeks after the date it changes. Once that happens, you can get excited. But if it stays as a placeholder, then don't bother getting excited.

And even after the cabinet has been installed, and all the neighbouring ones have gone live, things can still go wrong, and dates slip by another 6 months.

It can be infuriating, even if you know that you shouldn't be getting any hopes up.

Brilliant, sounds like never!

I've kept an eye on an exchange near me (not mine) and they had it down for September, it now says, well said during November that the exchange is ready for orders, is that again still specific to the cabinet and people will be waiting?
Standard User epyon
(committed) Thu 01-Dec-11 10:20:31
Print Post

Mine has the same date but nothing on my number or postcode yet.

BE*Unlimited 19157/1399Kbps

Edited by epyon (Thu 01-Dec-11 10:21:25)

Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Thu 01-Dec-11 21:35:42
Print Post

Openreach started reported my exchange as "accepting orders" in November last year, but I couldn't find anyone who could actually place an order until mid December. The first installations were between Christmas & New Year.

The bulk of the cabinets (mine included) were installed in the September/October just before this. However, my cabinet had power problems, and took until April to enable, and my install finally happened in June.

It was a 10 month period that tested patience.
  Print Thread

Jump to