General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Dec-11 10:59:42
Print Post

FTTC Cab Power Signs!

[link to this post]

Well I just signed into London works and I see power works proposed to the current PCP im connected to (FTTC Cab was installed early October), so this seems like interesting times ahead in finally getting the FTTC cab powered up. The exact message reads:

Connections Highway Services: NEW INDIVIDUAL SUPPLY: BT CABINET PCP05

What im a bit concerned about is why they'v mentioned PCP, as the PCP doens't need a power feed to it, do they mean the adjacent FTTC cabinent?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Ribble
(member) Fri 02-Dec-11 11:55:52
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cab Power Signs!

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

It refers to the FTTC cabinet which is connected to PCP5

Edited by Ribble (Fri 02-Dec-11 11:57:02)

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Dec-11 12:24:55
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
It refers to the FTTC cabinet which is connected to PCP5

laugh laugh laugh

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Dec-11 10:03:43
Print Post

Well the proposed date of installing power started on the 16th and is ending today. Throghout that period no actual works or any signs of any work happening has occured. Looks like they'v missed the dates! Can anyone shed any light on why this could be?

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 22-Dec-11 10:31:42
Print Post

In north herts it used to be EDF who were responsible for the local power grid and they were doing it on the cheap as all work was further subbed out to smaller contractors who would take ages to get anything done.

Now we have UK Power Networks who seem to have brought a lot more of the work in house and you see their vans everywhere doing FTTC installs.

So it depends who is responsible for your local power network and how reliable they are.
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Thu 22-Dec-11 11:09:18
Print Post

Maybe they ended up with other work to do that took priority?

Once that kind of thing happens, the next thing to get in the way is the council fine for not finishing roadworks on time. The threat of such a fine means they'd rather not start, or just fill the hole in unfinished, than pay the fine. It is cheaper for them to just forget the work, and re-apply for a new roadworks slot... the leadtime for which means there'll be a gap of at least a month.

The beaurocracy behind roadworks (aimed at keeping traffic moving, not at keeping services running) means this kind of "adding a month+ delay" is most likely, rather than an attitude of "catching up ASAP". Maybe it springs from the laws of unintended consequences, but it is an obvious reaction from the contracting companies.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Dec-11 20:39:00
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
In north herts it used to be EDF who were responsible for the local power grid and they were doing it on the cheap as all work was further subbed out to smaller contractors who would take ages to get anything done.

Now we have UK Power Networks who seem to have brought a lot more of the work in house and you see their vans everywhere doing FTTC installs.

So it depends who is responsible for your local power network and how reliable they are.

On mine it says EDF Energy.

My Broadband Speed Test
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Jan-12 13:22:08
Print Post

Oh dear more delays to bear with. No proposed plans to install power to my cab for the next three months according to londonworks.gov.uk....great. mad

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Bobby_Valentino (Mon 02-Jan-12 13:23:16)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jan-12 13:31:18
Print Post

I have a friend in the East Midlands with a shiny new FTTC cabinet and a FTTC enabled exchange. Cabinet is silent, no humming, and BT Wholesale checker says nothing about FTTC broadband at all for his BT telephone number.

Oliver.
Standard User pokchop1st
(regular) Mon 02-Jan-12 13:58:13
Print Post

Take a look at My problems http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4010790-has...
Much the same as yours.

Edited by pokchop1st (Mon 02-Jan-12 14:02:11)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to