General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Fri 02-Dec-11 16:01:24
Print Post

Cabinet Installed

[link to this post]

My cabinet has been installed for about a month now but there is no sign any anything further happening and the wholesale checker still states FTTC is unavailable. The postcode checker does provide an estimate speed for fibre broadband.

From experience how long does it typically take for a cabinet to become available once it is installed?

Does anybody work for BT and know the state of play in this area?

The exchange is EMRPLEY (Ripley Derbyshire 01773)

Thanks
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-11 16:05:17
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Installed

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ripley:
From experience how long does it typically take for a cabinet to become available once it is installed?

Thanks

In my case from the FTTC cabinet being installed to going live was 11 weeks and 3 days. (...and I wasn't impatient at all wink)

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Sat 03-Dec-11 02:46:28
Print Post

Mine went live about 7 months after the initial install, some 4 months after all the neighbouring ones went live.

Power is a key feature, which BT seem to be now managing to get installed faster. Listen for the noise of any fans from the cabinet housing...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rhino7
(learned) Sat 03-Dec-11 09:13:13
Print Post

Mine was 5 months from cabinet installation to activation. The power went in within a few days of the cabinet going in but they had lots of problems with blocked ducts which meant the fibre held things up.

BTBroadband (Infinity)
ROUTER:-Netgear SRXN3205
Sync 40000D 10000U

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 04-Dec-11 15:18:55
Print Post

[re: rhino7] [link to this post]

Noticed new cabinets popping up round my way this week (ROCHFORD exchange). Date is set for march, so i've got my fingers crossed smile
Standard User Colin_London
(regular) Sun 04-Dec-11 16:07:45
Print Post

Have had the pavement marked up with the locations of the new cabs here in Epping for a couple of months now. Keep my eyes peeled for new markings, and some appeared recently, but looked like they could indicate blocked ducts (squiggly line with a line through the middle).

And now the enabling date for the exchange has moved from the coming soon list (31 March 2012) to the Future Exchanges list (now just '2012').

Had gotten my hopes up for FTTC in March, but looks like they'll be dashed frown
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Dec-11 20:30:53
Print Post

[re: Colin_London] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Colin_London:
Have had the pavement marked up with the locations of the new cabs here in Epping for a couple of months now. Keep my eyes peeled for new markings, and some appeared recently, but looked like they could indicate blocked ducts (squiggly line with a line through the middle).
Ours have been marked up for a while now and this last week there's even been roadworks. Unfortunately it's hard to know if they are related. Some of the diggings clearly lead to/from BT junction boxes but others seem to be just general council work replacing curbing.

There is a big dig along the main road into the town which is where I'd expect the fibre to come from except that it started from the opposite direction before curving back and has now crossed the road away from the existing cab. Curiously they've marked the next road with 'H/V' and 'L/V'. Presumably that's high-voltage and low-voltage but doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

It's all making it fun to speculate although right now it just looks like they are running mains power out to old allotments on the other side of the main road rather than installing fibre to my cab. The signs say working for Eon central networks which rather confirms that.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Sun 04-Dec-11 21:37:59
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

Hmmmn seems to be a bt hit and miss on the timescales then. They have the cabinets powered up so thats on hurdle out of the way by the sounds of it.

Its a shame BTOR dont publish a bit more information about the current status of the install.

Sounds like patiently waiting is the only option!
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Dec-11 22:59:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ripley:
They have the cabinets powered up so thats on hurdle out of the way by the sounds of it.

That was the last thing they did to my cab, everything else was done weeks earlier.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User Justo
(regular) Mon 05-Dec-11 09:38:54
Print Post

My cabinet is still awaiting power - six months and counting since install of cabinet and fibre - the other cabinets down the road have been live for two months.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to