General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spon
(member) Tue 06-Dec-11 21:35:37
Print Post

Sky TV alternative via FTTC?

[link to this post]

Hi,

We are hopefully getting FTTC soon. We have been considering Sky TV but now wondering if there is an alternative streaming option via FTTC at all? If so, what sort of content please?

Thanks
Dave

up the down escalator..........
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Dec-11 23:22:17
Print Post

Re: Sky TV alternative via FTTC?

[re: spon] [link to this post]

Video rental of HD content via XBox and PS3 is good quality, but is at £3.50 to £4.50 per rental.

Netflix is best bet, as they may beat the offering from LoveFilm whcih suffers from lowish bit rates at around 1.5Meg

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 06-Dec-11 23:28:37
Print Post

There's Sky Go and also BT Vision.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User spon
(member) Wed 07-Dec-11 10:21:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks folks,

So film is an option which is good news. Any sports services e.g. for footie etc as an alternative to Sky or is it just films? I'm kinda keen to use a PAYG service if such a thing exists rather than pay Sky loads each month. Not really the cash, more the principle!

Thanks
Dave

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Dec-11 10:45:17
Print Post

Sky generally has the TV for UK sewn up, BT Vision offer it as a package option, i.e. Sky Sports

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Wed 07-Dec-11 13:41:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

BT Vision is currently IMO a poor relation to sky. By far. Most programming is over freeview, with Sky Sports 1/2 also available via encrypted freeview channels, and some limited on demand content delivered over IP.

AFAIK the freeview decoder isn't HD, only limited VOD is.

However BT have been investing in a content delivery network & adding multicast support which IMO puts them in a far strong position for competing with satellite to carry programming without the current capacity limits.

With "youview" arriving next year I can only assume/hope we'll see a much more compelling BT vision service in the coming year or so with far more streaming HD content, especially for fttx users.

Sky has content mostly sewn up, but does make this available to virgin (they have to), so I assume the same will apply to BT.

Note if you drop sky broadband but keep sky you may lose access to anytiime+ though rumours are that the ISP traffic block is now removed even though non-BB users can't sign up. A good sign of this being opened up.
Standard User spon
(member) Wed 07-Dec-11 15:40:44
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

Cheers guys. I'll probably hold out for 6 months but it does look like Sky is the only viable option at the moment blush(

Print Thread

Jump to