General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 06-Dec-11 22:04:03
Print Post

Profile Steps

[link to this post]

I had 38717 profile for months before a sudden step down to around 339xx/340xx and another down to 328xx

Tonight after 7 months I have seen a sudden recovery, although no loss of sync registered and I am back at 38716 ! Who knows why?

Are there defined major profile steps or is it really as fine as 1kbps?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Croftie
(member) Tue 06-Dec-11 22:53:43
Print Post

Re: Profile Steps

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I beleive it could well be as fine as 1kbps steps.

Your history sounds simular to mine. 38717 for the first 8 months, then 5 Mb drop with fluxuating profile for 5 months untill 17a kicked in and gave me back 38716.

These are all the profiles I've seen during that 5 month wobbly period. The smallest gap between consecutive profile changes was 9kbps.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 06-Dec-11 23:06:06
Print Post

It's roughly 88% of sync, so even if there are steps they are very small and can be disregarded.

If you are sure there has been no re-sync I wonder if it could be that the DLM does after a long time sort out a jump needed by an long-term higher sync? I think we have evidence in earlier posts that people who have had faults fixed have needed the engineer fixing it to call for a reset on the line, otherwise speed is not regained. Maybe your sync should have been delivering higher for ages?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 06-Dec-11 23:11:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It has had a couple of deliberate power cycles recently and also an engineer requested line reset - which resulted in a 20k drop! So it seems to have been delivering to a limit.

Maybe there has been a soft resync ... and maybe I have gone to 17a but until I can flash te modem I will not know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(regular) Tue 06-Dec-11 23:18:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
It has had a couple of deliberate power cycles recently and also an engineer requested line reset - which resulted in a 20k drop! So it seems to have been delivering to a limit.

Maybe there has been a soft resync ... and maybe I have gone to 17a but until I can flash te modem I will not know.

It appears that the FTTC connection is able to resync "on the fly". i.e. dynamically allocated IP addresses are maintained, your ISP doesn't see the event in their log file, but a substantial change in sync speed & thus profile can be observed by the end user.
Standard User Croftie
(member) Wed 07-Dec-11 00:11:15
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:
It appears that the FTTC connection is able to resync "on the fly". i.e. dynamically allocated IP addresses are maintained

That happened to me recently. There is a technical term but I can't remember it atm.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 07-Dec-11 00:13:56
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

You referring to Seamless rate adaption?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User Croftie
(member) Wed 07-Dec-11 00:16:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes that's the one.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 07-Dec-11 00:23:30
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

Hmm
VDSL2 adopts a number of improvements to better tackle the various bandwidth needs of different operators.

For example, VDSL2 supports improved impulse noise protection (INP), impulse noise monitoring (INM), SRA, U0 PSD (power spectral density) shaping, and new service and initialization policies for enhanced triple play stability. Other advanced technologies such as emergency rate reduction (SOS), dynamic rate repartitioning (DRR), and crosstalk channel estimation and mitigation techniques are also being proposed in the standard.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-Dec-11 00:32:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

But Openreach is the operator, so the question is what have they implemented.

Don't forget SRA is supported on ADSL2+.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to