General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pehaw
(newbie) Fri 09-Dec-11 17:21:18
Print Post

FTTC Benton - Advice Needed

[link to this post]

Hello people,

The PCP-to-Postcode-Report-13042011.zip doc on googledocs shows my postcode as follows

SAU_ID,Name,Postcode,SAU_NODE_ID,Exchange Only Flag,Percent Lines,Uplift,Phase,Deployed,FTTC or FTTP
NEB,BENTON,NE7 7FP,{NEB}{p49},0,100,32.69,,,

I'm reading that as my cabinet will not be included in the rollout of the Benton exchange that ts taking place now with an RFS date of 01/12/2011 (or 31/12/2011 depending on where you look).

The BT Wholesale checker shows the following...

"For Postcode NE7 7FP

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2Mbps and 5.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 6.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 32 Mbps and upstream line speed of 12.9 Mbps.
"

A few questions...

a) Is it possible that my cabinet (49) could be a 'slave' of some other nearby FTTC enabled cabinet and that my copper would start at the FTTC enabled parent cabinet?

b) Is it worth canvassing houses in the post-codes covered by cabinet 49 to make people aware that the upgrade won't include them and get people to express interest on the OpenReach site, send letters, etc.

c) Why would it mention FTTC in the checker if there is no plan to upgrade my cabinet?

d) Am I clutching at straws? Is it all a waste of time, I'm stuck on 3.5 meg ADSL2+ deal with it?

I need a pint.

cheers for any input.
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Fri 09-Dec-11 18:34:23
Print Post

Re: FTTC Benton - Advice Needed

[re: pehaw] [link to this post]

It's worth remembering that some of the files mentioned are pretty dated now and that the programme is failrly dynamic - ie may have changed! Have you tried ordering FTTC and been rejected? If not why not try to place an order before you start worrying about petitions etc as the line checker should be the best indication of what is available to you.

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Dec-11 22:39:20
Print Post

Best to use your phone number in the Wholesale checker, not the postcode.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(learned) Fri 09-Dec-11 23:17:38
Print Post

I think you are reading the PCP-postcode report incorrectly

Exchange Only Flag,Percent Lines,Uplift reads 0,100,32.69

so 0 lines are exchange only
100% of lines are covered
Uplift is 32.69

If you use your number in the checker and is says Fibre is available, find a supplier and order. The telephone number checker will give a accurate yes/no.

It looks like you are one of the lucky ones. (Buy a lottery ticket tomorrow!)
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Dec-11 10:03:13
Print Post

Unfortunately according to latest openreach records that postcode / cab 49 is not included in the rollout and thus no FTTC i'm afraid.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Dec-11 10:06:14
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

unfortunately not as its missing the critical 'Yes,FTTC' in the spreadsheet line for that postcode (Deployed,FTTC)

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User pehaw
(newbie) Sat 10-Dec-11 12:33:05
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
unfortunately not as its missing the critical 'Yes,FTTC' in the spreadsheet line for that postcode (Deployed,FTTC)

Thanks for the info - do you have access to recent BT-OR data?

Is it worth pursuing with canvassing properties connected to cab 49 with a view to make people aware that the upgrade won't include them and get people to express interest on the OpenReach site, send letters, etc. Or is that all a bit of a waste of time...?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 10-Dec-11 12:47:46
Print Post

smile
Read his post immediately before the one you quoted. It was a reply to you smile.

Re canvassing, it couldn't do any harm - though whether others in that post code will care is another matter. Who you would write to is also a moot point, as we have no idea on what basis these things are decided.

It could simply be that there is no suitable place available for the FTTC cabinet.

It is Openreach's decision, so probably their CEO/MD, who should be findable. Alternatively the CEO of BT Group - Ian Livingstone. Or if everyone there wrote to BT Broadband they may be able to persuade Openreach that it would be worthwhile.

Even ADSL24, but I expect they would need something stronger than expressing "an interest", in order to have as much effect on Openreach as BT Broadband could.

Do try your phone number in this checker though.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 10-Dec-11 12:49:42)

Standard User pehaw
(newbie) Sat 10-Dec-11 13:11:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
smile
Read his post immediately before the one you quoted. It was a reply to you smile.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by the above.

Re canvassing, it couldn't do any harm - though whether others in that post code will care is another matter. Who you would write to is also a moot point, as we have no idea on what basis these things are decided.

I'm going to get onto it I think. I'll try some scare-tactics and point out that they will be living in a slow(ish) broadband area and it will have a catastrophic effect on their house price value!

It could simply be that there is no suitable place available for the FTTC cabinet.

I doubt that is the reason. Their should be ample space to put an fttc cab in. Location is here.

It is Openreach's decision, so probably their CEO/MD, who should be findable. Alternatively the CEO of BT Group - Ian Livingstone. Or if everyone there wrote to BT Broadband they may be able to persuade Openreach that it would be worthwhile.

Even ADSL24, but I expect they would need something stronger than expressing "an interest", in order to have as much effect on Openreach as BT Broadband could.

Do try your phone number in this checker though.

yeah i have tried that and it doesn't mention FTTC at all. I was just curious as to why the post code checker would show FTTC of 30+ meg when it wouldn't be available as the cab isn't being upgraded. (and all lines in the post code are on that cab).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 10-Dec-11 13:21:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by pehaw:
smile

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by the above.
You asked if he has access to recent BT-OR info. I referred you to this post smile.
yeah i have tried that and it doesn't mention FTTC at all. I was just curious as to why the post code checker would show FTTC of 30+ meg when it wouldn't be available as the cab isn't being upgraded. (and all lines in the post code are on that cab).
I think the post code checker just checks the exchange that serves it, whereas the phone number checker checks your actual line routing - ie the cabinet.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to