General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DRW
(committed) Mon 12-Dec-11 17:37:03
Print Post

Horndean - Installation of FTTC street cabinets has started

[link to this post]

No other than an observation that FTTC is on the way for Horndean, talking to the people digging the holes and putting in the pipes they are installing a lot in Horndean and have installed even more in Waterlooville.
Standard User NJSS
(newbie) Fri 30-Dec-11 21:37:06
Print Post

Horndean - Installation of FTTC street cabinets has started

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

Any update yet as to when this will be finished?

I enquired of my ISP (NewNet) yesterday & they had no info.

It would be a nice New Year present to have FTTC or better still FTTH - although the latter is not on the list yet.

NJSS
Standard User DRW
(committed) Sat 31-Dec-11 11:03:12
Print Post

Re: Horndean - Installation of FTTC street cabinets has star

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

In November my ISP - Plusnet indicated I would be able to be connected in late March, however I did a recent check on one of the BT sites and it indicated that I would have to wait until June (still in 2012) So I do not know.

It is interesting to see that this work is being carried out such that regular Openreach staff are not aware of what and when things are happening, for example the Friday before the cabinet work started on the Monday I saw an Openreach chap working at the old style cabinet and asked him when we would be getting FTTC - he did not know. Yet the following Monday there was the digger and the foundations being installed and the next day the FTTC cabinet was installed - I do not know if it has been powered up yet.

As I have just got ADSL2+ Annexe M I am still reeling from a speed increase from 6.5 Mb to 11.1 Mb down and now 1Mb up

As an aside - I think that having a great speed at home can lead to disappointment when accessing the internet in hotels

A bit of extra information

Just walked by the cabinet to do the "hum detection test" - could not really detect any humming due to the might roar of Horndean's traffic heading north on the A3. However I suspect that the power has not been connected as the ground behind the cabinet has not been dug up and that is where the mains power is being fed into the cabinet (according to the person who was installing the cabinet a few weeks ago).

Edited by DRW (Sat 31-Dec-11 16:28:33)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DRW
(committed) Sat 19-May-12 14:37:44
Print Post

It appears that you can order an FTTC service (or a least I have done) I got an invite from BT to apply for an Infinity service. Openreach person due here next Friday am and new Router has arrived from Plusnet today.
Standard User DRW
(committed) Fri 25-May-12 23:16:18
Print Post

Now had the FTTC service connected today.
Standard User NJSS
(newbie) Thu 25-Oct-12 11:38:01
Print Post

Any further news.

I am told still not available at cabinet P10 at the top of Catherington Lane, near White Dirt Lane.

NJSS

Edited by NJSS (Thu 25-Oct-12 11:56:09)

Standard User NJSS
(newbie) Fri 02-May-14 05:42:35
Print Post

Slight progress as NewNet have offered an upgrade to ADSL2+; It appears that my Draytek Vigor 2860n will support ADSL2+.

NJSS

Edited by NJSS (Fri 02-May-14 06:05:22)

Standard User NJSS
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-16 08:01:54
Print Post

Horndean/Catherington - Installation of cabinets has stared

At last BT Openreach have started to install a new cabinet at the junction of Catherington lane & White Dirt Lane, on the other side of the road from cabinet 10.

The good news is that it has power from SSE - we know that as we had a one hour power outage as a result of cable damage whilst the cabinet power was being installed.

Question - it appears the Hampshire Superfast Broadband website, here:-

for postcode PO8 0TH that:-

"Some properties in this postcode will be upgraded to fibre broadband between
January 2017 and December 2017"

I find the use of the word "some" disconcerting is this usual?

Can anyone advise how long it might be from the installation of the new cabinet, literally yesterday, and when the service might be available? Hopefully well before January 2017.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Fri 17-Jun-16 10:09:26
Print Post

Re: Horndean/Catherington - Installation of cabinets has sta

Normally with a working FTTC cabinet etc, it is only those who have ordered the upgrade that get it.

To put it another way, there does not appear to be any form of automatic upgrade.

Hence BT OR using the phrase "premises passed" or "available to" in reports about Broadband availability.

The proportion actually upgraded and thus has the working benefits of "Superfast Broadband" is very significantly less when averaged out over the country.

Regarding the timescale, locally actual installation work for the FTTC base started in November 2013; and the FTTC was "Released For Service" in March 2014.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 17-Jun-16 10:13:19
Print Post

Re: Horndean/Catherington - Installation of cabinets has sta

In reply to a post by NJSS:
I find the use of the word "some" disconcerting is this usual?
The roll-out for FTTC is not 100% coverage. Some properties will not be able to get it.

Also, they don't do all the cabinets at once, they are done in phases.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
  Print Thread

Jump to