General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 15-Dec-11 23:22:25
Print Post

Just when is Canterbury getting Infinity?

[link to this post]

So I have been eagerly waiting for Openreach to install Fibre in Canterbury.

The first time I checked the estimated date was Sep 2011, which was then moved to 31st of December 2011. Recently I have seen many Openreach vans including big ones and what appears to be fibre cable being laid down. According to this site: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ (Canterbury exchange is accepting orders.)

And SamKnows.com states that Canterbury will have FTTC by 31/12/2011.

However the confusion comes from BT's own infinity page. The "See when it's available in your area map" which only a day or so ago stated Canterbury at 31/12/2011. Now states infinity will only be available 30th June 2012.

So could anybody please assist me in figuring out whether I am going to have to wait almost 6 months before fibre is available?
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 16-Dec-11 20:11:29
Print Post

Re: Just when is Canterbury getting Infinity?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Works have been on-going in Canterbury for a few months now (see my post here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4046579-cab...

A work colleague of mine had a call last week from BT Retail after he registered interest in ordering Infinity. He placed the order only to have another call on Wednesday saying that the order had been cancelled.

It seems likely that the exchange may be ready but individual cabinets are still at different phases of completion.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~24336.33 kbit/s - ~2970.74 KB/s
Upstream ~10224.86 kbit/s - ~1248.15 KB/s
Standard User Jabes
(member) Mon 19-Dec-11 19:37:52
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

According to ELGIN they're working on my cabinet this week. Anyone know how quickly after the cabinet is done that orders start being available?

Zen

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 19-Dec-11 21:09:40
Print Post

[re: Jabes] [link to this post]

It can be days. It can be over 6 months frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Dec-11 21:21:52
Print Post

The whole exchange (well the cabinets they have/are enabling) would all go live at the same time.

Considering BT can't even organise traffic lights for a Leased Line in this area I doubt they will enable Canterbury any time soon. Openreach's current date is set for December 2012, YES two thousand and twelve!

***EDIT***

My bad it looks like BT OR are now saying Canterbury is accepting orders.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-...

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Edited by 5km (Mon 19-Dec-11 21:26:44)

Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Mon 19-Dec-11 21:45:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
So could anybody please assist me in figuring out whether I am going to have to wait almost 6 months before fibre is available?

Try using this checker - as it will be the most reliable.

BT tend to wait until 10 or 15 cabs in an exchange area are ready and then declare the exchange is RFS/accepting orders.

However, not all the cabinets are done by this date as some take longer than others (or have planning, power or duct issues).

Remember though, the 'end of quarter' dates are just place-holders - and when BT know when a cabinet will go live, they can change the date at very short notice.

OTOH, if it says 30th June 2012 and isn't done by mid June, it will 'automatically' change to 30th September 2012 - even if is going to be enabled in July..
Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 21-Dec-11 20:12:44
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

The pavement by my cabinet is dug up, I guess the new one will drop in in a few days.

My postcode says I am active on the checker, but phone number not yet..

Best wishes
James

Zen
Standard User Jabes
(member) Sat 24-Dec-11 11:45:27
Print Post

And now the new cabinet is in (well it was finished yesterday)

Best wishes
James

Zen
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-Jan-12 00:16:25
Print Post

Well I have just done some research into this and found that a very large majority of Canterbury Street cabinets have been upgraded to support BT-Infinity.

However, there are some cabinets almost double the distance from the exchange than mine that have received Infinity, but not my cabinet. Also my cabinet services a brand new housing estate (CT2 7LN) which is high density as it has many apartments and houses.

Yet BT and OR can't include this street cabinet for an upgrade to Infinity.
This does not make sense.

- -
Edit: if the lines are literally brand new and run under-ground to the house, I was told that that street cabinet would most likely not receive FTTC, as in the future they would jump straight to FTTP, but how long will that take. Next 5 years, I would rather just get FTTC now!
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Jan-12 00:59:26
Print Post

It seems two of the largest new developments in Canterbury are being missed.

BT have no plans to enable cabinet 73 (the one you connect to) and 71 (the one I connect to) and most of the Ciry centre will be missed to.

I put a poster on no. 71 ... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28466011/missing%20fttc%20ca...

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to