General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Sat 17-Dec-11 11:54:41
Print Post

What does it all mean?

[link to this post]

I'm on second year of BT up to 8mb BB and phone package, I have average 4.4mb speed on TBB graph and I'm very happy with package, reliability and value for money. The BT technician told me that my line is 3000m from the exchange. From the nearest cabinet, my line goes underground to a pole and overhead cable, about 300m from cabinet to my house. For curiosity I tried the BTchecker and found:
Your exchange is planned to have ADSL2+ by 31st May 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps.
and
Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 33.7Mbps

In simple terms, what does this mean? Will my existing package become faster? Will I need to do anything for ADSL2? Will FTTC make my connection any faster?
Standard User kasg
(committed) Sat 17-Dec-11 12:29:10
Print Post

Re: What does it all mean?

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
In simple terms, what does this mean? Will my existing package become faster? Will I need to do anything for ADSL2? Will FTTC make my connection any faster?

I'm not totally familiar with BT's packages, but if you are currently on an "up to 8Mb" package you will have to upgrade to an "up to 20Mb" package to benefit from ADSL2+, this may cost extra, I don't know. But if you're looking at moving to FTTC anyway, don't bother, this will give you a much faster connection, but you won't benefit from it at all unless you move to an FTTC package, such as BT Infinity (other ISPs are available).

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
  Print Thread

Jump to