General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Dec-11 07:05:20
Print Post

FTTC Exchange Deployment Footprint?

[link to this post]

Might be a dumb question but ... when BT say they are bringing FTTC to an exchange do they enable every premises connected to the exchange for FTTC or do they just cherry pick some premises to get FTTC and leave the rest on old ADSL? Thanks in advance. smile
Standard User pehaw
(newbie) Mon 19-Dec-11 08:26:59
Print Post

Re: FTTC Exchange Deployment Footprint?

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Oh they cherry pick big time.

Cabinets that are forecast to be non(or low)-profitable will be very unlikely to be upgraded. Think small number of connected lines, free from VM competition, etc.
Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Dec-11 09:53:20
Print Post

[re: pehaw] [link to this post]

or ones that predominantly serve business parks...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 19-Dec-11 10:07:59
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ionic:
or ones that predominantly serve business parks...

I know of at least two Business Parks or Trading Estates where there are plenty of small companies and in FTTC enabled exchanges areas. They have NOT been enabled - houses close by have been but not the businesses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User DrPepper
(learned) Mon 19-Dec-11 12:13:21
Print Post

Or like my cab, because it was a new housing development in 2008 there were only 37 houses feed by the new cab which serves the site it was classes as uneconomical. By the time the actual exchange area was rolled out my cab was serving near 260 homes yet this did not matter. The site will be finished by the end of 2012 with a total number of homes being 473 (The size of a small village). After a lot of chasing with BT (openreach) I have been told that they MAY re-assess the cab in Autumn 2012 however I do not hold my breath that will ever happen frown
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Dec-11 19:50:45
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

It's whether an individual cabinet connected to an exchange is upgraded. Even then, it's not just an instant upgrade, you would have to request an FTTC service via you ISP.

Standard User MaxNRG
(regular) Sat 24-Dec-11 08:53:27
Print Post

[re: DrPepper] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrPepper:
Or like my cab, because it was a new housing development in 2008 there were only 37 houses feed by the new cab which serves the site it was classes as uneconomical. By the time the actual exchange area was rolled out my cab was serving near 260 homes yet this did not matter. The site will be finished by the end of 2012 with a total number of homes being 473 (The size of a small village). After a lot of chasing with BT (openreach) I have been told that they MAY re-assess the cab in Autumn 2012 however I do not hold my breath that will ever happen frown

It would be really handy if OR published interest in Fibre by cabinet. I live on a 6 year old development with about 250 homes connected to a cabinet that was installed for the estate. I'm seriously considering going door to door to collect interest in fibre an then bulk submitting the interest to BT to try and encourage them to speed up getting our cab enabled.

Who told you the dates that your cabinet would be re-assessed?

Be* Unlimited (4Mb/1Mb)
Alcatel Speed Touch 780 + Apple Airport

Edited by MaxNRG (Sat 24-Dec-11 11:10:04)

Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Sat 24-Dec-11 08:59:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by pehaw:
Oh they cherry pick big time.

Cabinets that are forecast to be non(or low)-profitable will be very unlikely to be upgraded. Think small number of connected lines, free from VM competition, etc.

I'm sure its the same method LLU providers used yes (BE, Talk Talk, o2) etc when putting their kit in exchanges smile

Its not a charity at the end of the day
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 28-Dec-11 20:49:55
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

Max

this may be of use -- i found an emall address on ww.Openreach.co.uk website in relation to regarding cabs and funding ect such things it is ngb@openreach.co.uk
Standard User MaxNRG
(regular) Fri 30-Dec-11 23:10:14
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Max

this may be of use -- i found an emall address on ww.Openreach.co.uk website in relation to regarding cabs and funding ect such things it is ngb@openreach.co.uk

Thanks,

Will drop them a line if we don't get enabled in Q1 2012.

Thomson TG585v7 + AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Generation)
on BE Home 24Mb

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to