General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ToneDeaf
(regular) Mon 19-Dec-11 22:17:13
Print Post

FTTC - End User Equipment Required?

[link to this post]

I'm getting excited as BT are already active in this end of the town (Hamilton) installing fibre and 2nd street-side cabinets.

In preparation for a future upgrade I have tried to research the subject but am a little confused by the various articles viewed - therefore I would like to ask:-

Does any of my existing equipment (see below) require replacement for Zen's FTTC "up to 20Mb" product?

I currently have an aged but reliable, dual SSID, BT Business Hub (ver5 firmware) and an ADSLNation XTE2005 (NTE-5) filtered faceplate on the Master Socket. My long line to the exchange has been very stable when connected to this equipment.

The BT street cabinet is approx 800m from my front door with a total underground run through the village. However, it is rumoured that the cabling is aluminium!!

Looking forward to your replies on the subject.

-------------------------------------
Zen 1760/448k ADSLmax
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Dec-11 22:25:49
Print Post

Re: FTTC - End User Equipment Required?

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

Zen has no up to 20 Mbps fibre product?

its up to 20 products are old fashioned ADSL2+, so perhaps you are confusing technologies.

Assuming you mean Zen products like Fibre Active, then it will come with an Openreach VDSL2 modem, that provides an ethernet connection direct to the internet for one computer, or preferably an Ethernet router, of which Zen list suitable devices at http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband/fibre-broadb... lots of other devices are available.

The XTE2005 will be replaced by a new Openreach filter, though they do the same job. The BT Business hub would be obsolete.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ToneDeaf
(regular) Mon 19-Dec-11 22:53:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the prompt reply Andrew,

Indeed I have been getting ADSL2+ confused with VDSL. That explains why Zen's ADSL2+ appeared to be such a bargain!

Upon re-reading the Zen website - I am now a little less excited at the prospect of the £96 set-up fee and an extra £10 per month (on top of my existing subscription) for FTTC broadband.

I now realise that the subject of pricing has already been raised in the Zen section of the forum.

-------------------------------------
Zen 1760/448k ADSLmax

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Dec-11 22:59:53
Print Post

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

The difference in pricing is because Zen expect subscribers to probably use more of the allowance.

Fibre Office is the same price as Zen Home 500 was ten years ago, and higher usage allowance. So it looks expensive but is a lot cheaper than in the past.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to