General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(regular) Wed 21-Dec-11 09:15:13
Print Post

FTTC Speed Tests

[link to this post]

I have noticed discussions in various threads regarding online speed test accuracies.

I don't know for sure which are the most accurate, but the most consistent ones I use are speedtest.net & mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

They both give reasonably similar results & appear to be consistent with their reporting.
e.g. when my connection is poor, I get poor results.

I personally prefer speedtest.net as it logs your test results over longer periods than mybroadbandspeed.co.uk, & these results can be easily exported to a csv file for really long term monitoring etc. (also recording the IP address in use at the time of the test, so showing re-syncs etc.).
Registration with speedtest.net is not required for these basic & useful facilities.

The TBB speed tester can, on occasions, appear to give poor results, even when a user's connection is otherwise "O.K."

The usual BT performance/speed tester ALWAYS produces slightly more pessimistic results, but apart from the occasions when it experiences obvious "problems", is also quite consistent.
It does take much longer to conduct & can only be conducted once every hour, so not so good for instantly monitoring what happens if you should choose to reboot/re-sync the modem.

To me, consistency is the most important aspect & switching between speed testers just to get a better result doesn't assist at all.

Always using the same speed tester, regardless of whether results are ALWAYS pessimistic or ALWAYS optimistic, at least demonstrates a definite pattern to your connection's real-life performance (subject to any contention / traffic management for various types of traffic etc).

So, in addition to sticking with the same speed tester, I believe that speed tests should always be conducted at the same time of day/evening/night to truly monitor a connection's performance over as prolonged a period as possible.

Again, for consistency reasons, timing the download of a fixed sized file at regular times of day appears to confirm connection performance patterns.

One of BT's URLs for just this purpose can be found at this link:-
BT Test Files

The largest file is only 15MB (15,675,392 bytes on disk), which was probably ideal for much slower ADSL1 connections, but it IS a constant to use even over FTTC connections.

e.g. For my own connection from when it was "problem-free" (speed tests & ability to download at up to 33 Mb), I could usually download the 15MB file in 3 seconds.
It currently takes 5 seconds (pretty much at any time of day or night).

When my connection was variously performing even worse than it is now, it could take up to 14 seconds.

I accept that the "accuracy" of the timings is a bit loose (whole seconds only), but again, over a prolonged period a pattern emerges, & a sudden difference really does highlight "problems".

I would be curious to see timings for downloading the 15 Mb file from other users, especially those whoose speed tests are around 33 Mb.

The above is purely my own opinion, so please feel free to agree/dsagree accordingly.

Paul.

P.S. I have no idea what the test file (largedownload.me) contains, but suspect it is just typical & consistent "data", specifically designed for testing purposes.

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Wed 21-Dec-11 09:21:10)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 21-Dec-11 09:55:03
Print Post

Re: FTTC Speed Tests

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

Those old BT files bring back memories from the old 500kbps days!

From memory the data was data was created in such a way that compression application that claimed to "increase bandwidth" would have little effect so the real capability could be tested.

I have just tried the Largedownload.me and it gave me 4Mbps - rather slow. My connection should run at 36Mbps but has a few problems but not that bad!

Remember: Delete the file after it has been downloaded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(regular) Wed 21-Dec-11 10:08:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi MHC,

In reply to a post by MHC:
Those old BT files bring back memories from the old 500kbps days!

From memory the data was data was created in such a way that compression application that claimed to "increase bandwidth" would have little effect so the real capability could be tested.

I have just tried the Largedownload.me and it gave me 4Mbps - rather slow. My connection should run at 36Mbps but has a few problems but not that bad!

Remember: Delete the file after it has been downloaded.

I get:-

Downloaded: 14.9MB in 5 sec

Transfer Rate: 2.98MB/Sec

Regardless of whether I delete it, or simply overwrite it when asked.
Overwriting it is the quickest method for me.

Did you mean it took 4 seconds, or did you mean MBps rather than Mbps?

Paul.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Dec-11 10:13:20
Print Post

Generally two test methodologies exist

1. Average over long period - us
2. Sampling, with rejection of some high and low values to arrive at a consensus - ookla

This means we are more likely to give a low result even if there is a short stall or period of congestions, whereas ookla ones will reject this, thus giving something more akin to learning what your headline speed is. For example you can pull your ethernet out during an ookla test and as long as its plugged back in before the end get a decent result.

Another difference is the protocols used, by utilising HTTP ookla generally avoids traffic management, we have a custom protocol, that providers could spot but many don't and lump our test with the P2P stuff.

Once the tests are averaged over large numbers of tests, we do tend to broadly agree with all the testers, i.e. individual circumstances become negliable in a big sample.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 21-Dec-11 10:18:16
Print Post

It was around 502 kBps in MS terminology! or 4Mbps in real data transfer termnology.

Yes the units are right!

It was always a case of deleting - MS would create Largedownload(1).me, Largedownload(2).me ... I had a colleague who complained of low disk space and we found over 100 of the files on her PC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(regular) Wed 21-Dec-11 10:24:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that explanation Andrew,

To me, it is a very clear explanation, that should hopefully address many of the queries I have seen recently (not just in the TBB forum).

Paul.
(regular) Wed 21-Dec-11 10:31:00
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
It was around 502 kBps in MS terminology! or 4Mbps in real data transfer termnology.

Yes the units are right!

Hmmm. Not looking too healthy at all.

Is it currently just a problem with that particular link/test file?

Paul.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Dec-11 10:49:10
Print Post

They may be hosted on a 100Meg only link, and posting the URL may have lead to a burst in use.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Wed 21-Dec-11 11:03:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
They may be hosted on a 100Meg only link, and posting the URL may have lead to a burst in use.

Possibly, but I repeatedly ran my own tests around that time, still maintaining the same 2.98MB/Sec.
Standard User bruiser1
(newbie) Wed 21-Dec-11 11:29:29
Print Post

As I've posted elsewhere, I am puzzled that the BT official test, the Ookla-based test sites and the TBB test site differ so much.

BT and Ookla (e.g. speediest.net) consistently report me at 37/38Mbps down, 8/9Mbps up; TBB consistently says 18/19Mbps and 8.5Mpbs respectively. I wish there were a way of knowing which numbers best related to real-world benefits.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to