General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MaxNRG
(learned) Fri 23-Dec-11 07:10:59
Print Post

FTTP Rollout...

[link to this post]

I had given up checking the status of FTTP as I'm on the Ilford Central exchange in London and the now almost mythical Openreach spreadsheet said I was on a cabinet destined to have FTTP. Then I noticed this story about my exchange being one of the first that BT Retail was selling FTTP on (they call it Infinity Option 3). As usual the BT Wholesale Checker tells me that all I can get on my line is the 3-4Mb ADSL2+ I have. Has anyone actually got FTTP outside of Milton Keynes?

Thanks.

Be* Unlimited (5Mb/1Mb)
Alcatel Speed Touch 780
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Dec-11 09:49:14
Print Post

Re: FTTP Rollout...

[re: MaxNRG] [link to this post]

Ebbsfleet, it is all they can have, as no copper their I believe

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Fri 23-Dec-11 10:00:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Somewhere in North London too - Muswell Hill, I think.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MaxNRG
(learned) Fri 23-Dec-11 12:16:38
Print Post

So there is no evidence from anyone here that FTTP has been ordered on an exchange that this press release corresponds to...

I've written an email to BT asking if I can order this as the Infinity sales won't do anything if the checker says 'No'.

Be* Unlimited (4Mb/1Mb)
Alcatel Speed Touch 780 + Apple Airport
Standard User kitcat
(learned) Fri 23-Dec-11 13:07:29
Print Post

I believe several places in Cornwall have had customers provided on as has Chester.

Ilford shows as FTTC / FTTP and I believe only part of the exchange is covered, so your cab may be in line for FTTC later on or FTTP later on.

Most exchanges have only a proportion of the area covered in the first batch with further cabinets / areas covered later on.

Even in Bradwell Abbey they have still not covered the whole exchange and only a small part has got FTTP so far.

The checker is usually right if you used you Tel no, if it says no it means no, but it does update quickly when it becomes available. Keep checking on a weekly basis, but it will need patience or you get stressed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Dec-11 13:49:03
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Highams Park, can see a speedtest result that is clearly Infinity Option 3, non spotted for Ilford. Did see FTTC results in the Ilford area.

One problem is the Infinity Option 3 is the most expensive, so to date most that is seen is in Milton Keynes, which has a demographic that probably is more likely to buy into the new products

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MaxNRG
(learned) Fri 23-Dec-11 13:59:43
Print Post

Many thanks for the responses. Time to be patient.

Be* Unlimited (4Mb/1Mb)
Standard User MaxNRG
(regular) Fri 23-Dec-11 21:29:01
Print Post

I got the details of the FTTP Team at BT Retail and got put through to a sales person who confirmed that my cab is destined for FTTP, but that it was not live yet and so would not be able to take an order. It appears that ducting work for FTTP may have been done on my cab (according to an Openreach Engineer who was fixing my ADSL this week) and so it's down to when FTTP is marked as available... I'll call them in a month to see if the situation has changed.

Be* Unlimited (4Mb/1Mb)

Edited by MaxNRG (Fri 23-Dec-11 22:19:30)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Dec-11 21:34:14
Print Post

FTTP does not need to go via the existing green cabinets, it may do so because of reuse of ducting, but it never needs access to the copper resources

Standard User MaxNRG
(regular) Fri 23-Dec-11 22:21:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Good to know, though living on a 6 year old new build I suspect the fibre will go very close to the cab as it's at the entrance.

Be* Unlimited (4Mb/1Mb)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to