General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Dec-11 12:03:25
Print Post

FTTP

[link to this post]

I've been browsing: http://www.openreach.co.uk/coming_soon

I notice that some towns are listed as FTTP, some as FTTC and some as FTTC/P.

For the towns listed as FTTP, are all Openreach fibre deployments in that town FTTP?

Oliver.
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Dec-11 15:34:45
Print Post

Re: FTTP

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Yes as far as I'm aware

Be* Unlimited
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Dec-11 16:01:50
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply Nicola. The inevitable follow up question...

According to Openreach, Eastbourne is scheduled for FTTP (not FTTC or FTTC/P) in March 2012. As far as I'm aware, FTTP is rolling out to commercial units and not to residential properties, at least not past the trials stage or new build properties. Can I assume from this that residential properties in Eastbourne will not be seeing fibre broadband in 2012?

Or, if I'm wrong about FTTP going to residential properties, are Openreach going to dig up half of Eastbourne and lay fibre to all the houses?

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Wed 28-Dec-11 16:02:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Moradin
(newbie) Wed 28-Dec-11 16:32:28
Print Post

I think... (i may be wrong here)...

that if an exchange is shown as FFTP, it just means that SOME of the local cabs will
get FTTP while the rest will get FTTC. and some may get neither.

I think they are installing FTTP where its most economical, so they get max bang for their buck so to speak.

im sure once everyone is FTTC they will roll out a FTTP for everyone system (many years away im sure).
Standard User kasg
(committed) Wed 28-Dec-11 16:38:27
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Moradin:
I think... (i may be wrong here)...

that if an exchange is shown as FFTP, it just means that SOME of the local cabs will
get FTTP while the rest will get FTTC. and some may get neither.
So why wouldn't that be shown as FTTC/P?

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Dec-11 16:54:04
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

Where an exchange is listed as FTTC / FTTP there will be a mixture of either FTTC or FTTP, but not both for the same area

Where FTTP is stated, it will likely be FTTP rolled out an area at a time from near the exchange outwards
FTTP does not use cabs at all

BT in most cases are using existing ducting to blow the fibre and in a lot of places some of the fibre is already in place

I have several new areas of tarmac along the road which comes to me from the exchange which lead to a double manhole distribution point where the fibre then goes up the pole which is situated next to the double manhole. The fibre was blown through the ducting in one night as far as I'm aware and there was very little road digging (and disruption) involved

The double manhole replaced my cab

In Bradwell Abbey where the fibre comes in from underground there were lots of issues around provision of fibre to properties. I therefore believe BT have opted for FTTP over the pole for all other areas, as it requires them to do far less work (and less requests for wayleave)

This is all based on my experience and others who have posted here regarding the various processes

Be* Unlimited
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Dec-11 17:07:01
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

Interesting info, thanks. I had wondered how BT were planning to feed fibre into every house on a FTTP exchange. Out of interest I tried about 10 random telephone numbers from the MK6 postcode into the BT Wholesale checker, and none came up with fibre availability, so it seems to be a quite limited rollout so far, and I'm guessing the same goes for many exchanges listed as FTTP.

On the subject of Eastbourne, it could be something to do with this maybe: http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/business-news...

It's a joint venture between the Council and a company to bring fibre to local "businesses and organisations". If the infrastructure is being provided by Openreach, which it most likely is, then I suppose that's why it's on Openreach's rollout lists.

However that also means that residential properties, as I was thinking earlier, will miss out, as the lists say FTTP and not FTTC/P.

Oliver.
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Dec-11 17:17:21
Print Post

In all the previously announced FTTP areas, residential properties can get FTTP if (and when) the BT Wholessale checker says yes - exception is multiple occupancy residences

It's a very slow rollout

Don't forget only very limited areas on Bradwell Abbey are as yet enabled
Some info here
http://mkbag.org/

Be* Unlimited
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 28-Dec-11 20:44:38
Print Post

the eastoube article is about a private comapnt and nothing ot do with openreach - maily to do with WIFI
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Jan-12 13:24:47
Print Post

Eastbourne should be getting FTTP, according to the roll-out plans on the Openreach consumer portal. However, the FTTC spreadsheet hosted on Google Docs, shows that most of Eastbourne will actually be getting FTTC.

My exchange is listed in this conflicting fashion too. I recently started having doubts about the FTTP status after I received a letter from the local council about the proposed installation of an Openreach cabinet. This led me to research this forum, whereupon I came across the thread with the FTTC list.

With the spreadsheet showing my postcode as FTTC, and the recent planning letter, does this mean I will only be able the get FTTC? or is FTTP still a possibility?

Thanks in advance, Laura
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to