General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Hellish
(member) Fri 30-Dec-11 01:07:26
Print Post

Belfast , no FTTC

[link to this post]

I live in the capital city of the country with the most FTTC installations in the world. I am amazed I still can not access FTTC where I live, which is right in the heart of Belfast.

I am moving address from a flat in the same building. I am currently with BE unlimited. I dont know if I should sign up for another one year contract with them when I move flat, or wait until FTTC comes my way.

There seems to be a big push to get FTTC to the remaining parts of Belfast. Most of this work is due to be finished next month, however my street cab doesnt seem to be on the list.

The street is Donegall Street Belfast, BT1 2GQ. Could someone please tell me if I will be included? My cab is a very short distance from my property, less than 100 meters.
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Dec-11 01:54:03
Print Post

Re: Belfast , no FTTC

[re: Hellish] [link to this post]

Your line will likely be exchange only at that distance and as such FTTC is not available as there is no cab serving you

Be* Unlimited
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Dec-11 01:56:51
Print Post

I thought you could do a single free House Move with Be, without starting a new minimum period?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Dec-11 02:01:22
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

That postcode is served by cab 30, 100% of lines.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Dec-11 13:21:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes and I can confirm you won't need to start a new contract so will stay on your current 1 month rolling contract or if not outside orignal contract period, the remainder of your existing contract

Be* Unlimited
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Dec-11 13:36:32
Print Post

Parts of Belfast are being done now but most of the city is being done later than other towns. Obviously in recent times Belfast has had superior coverage and speeds. A lot of areas also have Virgin cable coverage too.

You are connected to the City exchange which is down at the corner of Durham St and the Grosvenor Road. According to a leaked spreadsheet from BT all the lines on your postcode are connected to cabinet 30 but there is no date attached for when the cabinet will be done. The spreadsheet is from April 2011 so it is out of date unfortunately.

Cab 30 does not appear on the list of those being upgraded on the www.nibroadband.com site either.

Trying to locate the cabinet is tricky but I suspect it could be down the bottom end of Donegall St between Talbot St and Commercial Place outside Ellisons Jewellers. Sound about right? If so, take a dander up and see if there is a new cab in that area. It'll look like this: http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2672/050ea.jpg

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
29.5Mbit down / 5.5Mbit up

Edited by orly (Fri 30-Dec-11 13:38:36)

Standard User Hellish
(member) Fri 30-Dec-11 18:00:49
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

Here is an image of my existing cabinet.

http://i.imgur.com/5EavA.jpg

As you can see I am quite close to it.

I notice its a very old style cabinet too. The cabinet just across the street from it was an old style one too. However they changed that cabinet to the newer one. Even it doesnt have FTTC yet. It seems this old historic street in belfast lives up to its name. No FTTC love from BT frown

I will prob just get BE again, if its still a one month rolling contract.

Edited by Hellish (Fri 30-Dec-11 18:02:24)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Dec-11 18:20:10
Print Post

You have to do a house move on your existing Be. If you cancel it then sign up afresh that would be a new minimum term.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Dec-11 18:39:27
Print Post

Move to Derry, we've 100% coverage wink

BT Infinity
~200m from NILDW PCP21
40000/10000 Sync
13" Macbook Pro - 2.3GHz Core i5, 4GB DDR3, 320GB
Standard User Hellish
(member) Fri 30-Dec-11 18:39:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok im not happy. I am moving flats within the same apartment. I rang BE to request a house move. They said I would have to order a new BT line at my new address. So this means I have to pay BT £120 or what ever it is for a new line.

Only when the new line has been installed by BT, could I transfer my contract from BE over. This would enable me to keep my rolling contract.

This means the people at my previous address could use the phone line, and I would get a massive bill. The only thing I can do is cancel my existing contract to stop that happening. The problem with that is, I would have to start up a new 12 month contract with BE at my new address.

And I dont want a new 12 month contract with BE, incase BT infinity comes to my cabinet. The second it does im jumping ship.

I am in a no win situation here.

Should say my current contract with BE, the line rental is also with BE and not BT.

Edited by Hellish (Fri 30-Dec-11 18:44:31)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to