General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User insomniacity
(newbie) Sun 01-Jan-12 19:19:56
Print Post

Poplar?

[link to this post]

As a veteran of the poor Poplar broadband (lack of space in exchange etc), I note with interest that BT says Poplar is enabled for FTTC.

Does anyone know what percentage of poplar cabinets are enabled? Has this basically resolved the entire issue in the area?

I ask because I'm considering a move back into the area...
Standard User Moradin
(newbie) Mon 02-Jan-12 11:54:43
Print Post

Re: Poplar?

[re: insomniacity] [link to this post]

Only one cabinet was enable early in E14.

so the ones done this year, are all on the december excel sheet, that we are just waiting for someone to leak.

If you check the openreach website here:-

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

you will see the Poplar exchange taking orders for FTTC., as are Mile End, Stratford, and Albert Dock.

but as you rightly guess, only certain cabinets will be enabled.
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Mon 02-Jan-12 11:58:32
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

Why do you need the Openreach sheet? Surely the ultimate test is if your CP is offering service there, so shouldn't the answer rest with the CP checker?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 02-Jan-12 13:38:25
Print Post

[re: Gadget] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Gadget:
Why do you need the Openreach sheet? Surely the ultimate test is if your CP is offering service there, so shouldn't the answer rest with the CP checker?
But the OP is considering moving back to Poplar, so has no address or phone number to check, especially wrt the future. Which is where the spreadsheet comes in.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User insomniacity
(newbie) Mon 02-Jan-12 13:53:14
Print Post

[re: Gadget] [link to this post]

Well, I'm considering a house purchase in the area, and BT retail (and most likely Openreach) doesn't know about the postcode yet - most likely because the cabinet hasn't been installed at all.

It would be interesting to know how Poplar is faring in general. 1 cabinet is not a good sign at all, and sounds very much like they did one so that they could say they "did Poplar".
Standard User Moradin
(newbie) Mon 02-Jan-12 14:43:30
Print Post

ahh but thats from the OLD april spreadsheet.

to know the current take up of fibre in the E14 region, you need the December spreadsheet. Its the only way to know for sure how many of the cabs in the area are due to get FTTC.

BT & Openreach for some mad reason like to keep it secret.

For sure, a lot more cabinets in the area will now be enabled, or due to be enabled.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jan-12 16:59:03
Print Post

most likely because the cabinet hasn't been installed at all.

It is very unusual for a whole new cabinet to be installed, unless the prospective address is part of a very large new development.

Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Mon 02-Jan-12 20:32:07
Print Post

I believe the majority of the cabinets on the exchange are enabled, but this still leaves gaps in coverage for some of the tower blocks served by exchange only lines. Luckily a number of these are now being offered FTTP as part of the pilot of that service to apartment blocks - see separate news item on this on TBB.

Difficult to be more definitive than that until you have a particular location in mind, and of course it would be simple enough then to use the line checker anyway.

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Mon 02-Jan-12 22:20:25
Print Post

Don't forget to check the LLU availabilty too. Why? Because even if your cabinet is not enabled, I highly doubt the LLU operators in that exchange will have reduced the number of ports available. The number of (say) Be* or Sky users that have since moved to a FTTC connection will have likely freed up LLU capacity at the exchange.

This should therefore mean that you should be able to get a decent-performing LLU ADSL2+ connection, if such a thing would suit your needs.

I've no direct source for this, I merely infer it from the recent news articles and forum posts showing Be* shedding customers. It's therefore a fairly logical assumption; please of course do research it more first! It might be worth having a look around the area (or use street view if not possible) to find the number of a local takeaway. Pop it into the checkers and see what's said - it should give a good idea of the state of Poplar's LLU.

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 02-Jan-12 22:38:42
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
Good thinking smile!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to