General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TimLaduk
(newbie) Sun 01-Jan-12 22:08:15
Print Post

New FTTC install with pre existing HR fault..

[link to this post]

My FTTC is scheduled to be installed on the 9th but I have a long standing intermittent HR fault on the line that started about 2 years ago and has been getting worse and more frequent ever since..

I have never been able to convince my ISP to get an engineer out despite providing them with a TDR graph showing the location of a possible HR dis, all i end up doing is going around the usual testing that ends up masking the problem for a few weeks..

Will the FTTC engineer test the cable pair and pick this fault up before providing the FTTC connection, last thing i need is a [censored] FTTC connection..
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Jan-12 09:58:11
Print Post

Re: New FTTC install with pre existing HR fault..

[re: TimLaduk] [link to this post]

if you lucky the fault is on the exchange to cabinet run and FTTC will then bypass it.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 02-Jan-12 10:19:48
Print Post

Where did the fault show? Between you and the cabinet (D-side), or the cabinet and exchange, (E-side)?

Sounds like an ideal time to cancel that upgrade and migrate, unless you already are doing so, as if FTTC doesn't cure it you are really stuck for at least 12 months frown. WHich ISP is it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TimLaduk
(newbie) Mon 02-Jan-12 10:45:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I can only estimate the cable run to the cab but i get it to about 250 meters the HR shows up at about 301 meters on the TDR but 301 meters is almost exectly where a BT box on the payment is located so it looks like its on the D-side

To be honest i`m no expert at TDR testing I just have a ADSL tester that has TDR function for work

I`m moving to FTTC with BT from Be.

Be to be fair have been great but all that ends up happening after jumping through all the hoops we end up just masking the problem until the fault re-appears.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 02-Jan-12 11:31:27
Print Post

Sounds as though it could be in the cabinet. Does your estimate for distance include, up the pole, the additional cable in the overhead catenary, the run into the house?

If in te cabinet then there isa good chance any connection will be remade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 02-Jan-12 12:07:24
Print Post

As MHC says.

In case you don't know, for FTTC the phone line (PSTN) from the exchange has to be connected in the phone cabinet (PCP) to a copper pair that goes to the FTTC cabinet. On the DSLAM in that the fibre feed and PSTN get onto a return copper pair to the PSTN cabinet and from there a connection is made onto the cable from you to it. So I imagine every connection, (to do with you), in the cabinet is remade.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User TimLaduk
(newbie) Mon 02-Jan-12 14:27:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So is there some sort of termination or filter to stop the VDSL2 signal from propagating up the D side so a HR fault on the D side would not affect the E side ?

If that question makes sense
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 02-Jan-12 14:37:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by TimLaduk:
So is there some sort of termination or filter to stop the VDSL2 signal from propagating up the D side so a HR fault on the D side would not affect the E side ?

If that question makes sense
Depends on what you mean by d-side and e-side?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User TimLaduk
(newbie) Mon 02-Jan-12 14:49:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

sorry was going of what rebertos said but i got it the wrong way round

Between you and the cabinet (D-side), or the cabinet and exchange, (E-side)?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 02-Jan-12 15:01:10
Print Post

That reads as though you have E-side and D-side mixed up, or at least as I was referring to them, which was in terms of your existing line.

Both MHC and myself are suggesting the fault could possibly be a connection within the PCP, and that all your connections in there could change, so curing it as a side-effect.

But if the fault is on the D-side, ie between you and the PCP rather than inside it, then your FTTC will be probably be affected.

If the fault is on E-side now, between the PCP and the exchange, there is a high probability that although it will still be there it will not affect the FTTC. In time it would probably get worse and in time the phone will fail and they will fix it, but I would expect the FTTC, (I don't know), would carry on regardless even then.

We have a PSTN E-side problem which used to really hurt the ADSL, but on FTTC things are fine.

(Edit - got interrupted by a phone call, so didn't see your correction, but leaving this post here smile).

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 02-Jan-12 15:02:31)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to