General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mk1
(newbie) Tue 03-Jan-12 18:29:40
Print Post

Rural Broadband Question

[link to this post]

I have hunted high and low for the answer to this question but to no avail.

I live in a small village about 4 miles from the nearest town where the telephone exchange is. Naturally my broadband is terrible (1mbps if the wind is blowing in the right direction).
I have just found out the exchange will be set up with Infinity on the 1st of June. Does this mean the rural areas served by the exchange are likely to be fibre equipped too?
If not, what is the likelihood of small villages being equipped with fibre?
Also, is there a rollout plan for Virgin broadband fibre or similar available anywhere on the Internet?
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Jan-12 20:54:44
Print Post

Re: Rural Broadband Question

[re: Mk1] [link to this post]

Unfortunately, there is no answer to be given. Rollout is at the whim of OpenReach, it seems.

While the exchange you're connected to is due for FTTC rollout, there is no guarantee your particular cabinet will be. Your best bet is to check the Openreach checker with your phone number (if a BT line) or your address/post code (if not BT).

As for Virign, they're saddled with massive debt due to poor acquisitions when they were NTL and investment in rollout is non-existent.
Standard User TheManStan
(learned) Tue 03-Jan-12 20:55:31
Print Post

If you post your postcode someone can check whether your cab is listed as one being considered for roll-out.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(member) Tue 03-Jan-12 21:17:34
Print Post

Also what is you're local CC, as they will be making their Local broadband plans to access the BDUK funds that have been awarded to them, these funds are for white areas where the commerical rollout will not go to.

The process is not quick but plans to tender should be completed this year with work starting towards the end of 2012, so there is improvments coming.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Alex1M6
(newbie) Tue 03-Jan-12 21:40:23
Print Post

[re: TheManStan] [link to this post]

Hi, sorry to be hijacking this thread but would it be possible for someone to check my postcode to see if my cabinet will be enabled for fibre optic? I do not know how to do it that is all.

Thanks.
Standard User kitcat
(regular) Tue 03-Jan-12 22:37:07
Print Post

Is there a cabinet in your village? Small is relative, in Wales / Scotland it can be 100 houses or smaller, in S.East it can be 1000+. A lot depands on size.

If your village has one or more cabinets and street lighting you have a good chance.

If your village has no Cabinet don't expect anything without BDUK funding, unless in Cornwall or N Ireland where you have funding available for 99% coverage. ( All villages but not all properties).

If no street lighting, power could be a problem so reduces your chances a lot.

Keep checking nearer the time and keep an eye out for a new cabinet alongside the existing ones.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Wed 04-Jan-12 18:30:44
Print Post

I am in a similar position to you (but about 3 miles rather than 4) and we got a fibre cabinet in the village, so there is hope. It's all ancient telegraph poles and overhead power cables round here so I was pleasantly surprised to get 40Mb FTTC.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Jan-12 09:40:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mk1:
I have hunted high and low for the answer to this question but to no avail.

I live in a small village about 4 miles from the nearest town where the telephone exchange is. Naturally my broadband is terrible (1mbps if the wind is blowing in the right direction).
I have just found out the exchange will be set up with Infinity on the 1st of June. Does this mean the rural areas served by the exchange are likely to be fibre equipped too?
If not, what is the likelihood of small villages being equipped with fibre?
Also, is there a rollout plan for Virgin broadband fibre or similar available anywhere on the Internet?
It's down to the accountants I'm afraid. They will look at how much it costs to install a cabinet then how many people are likely to choose to upgrade. Then it's just cost v. return.

Here's one possible example based on my limited knowledge:
£100k to install the cabinet.
100 premises.
Assume 100% take-up (questionable).
Needs £1k profit from each connection in order to break even.

The problems with the above (where the uncertainty comes from) are:
1.I've no idea how much it actually costs to install a cabinet. Different locations probably cost different amounts.
2.Number of premises varies.
3.Take-up is unlikely to be 100%.
4.What period of time will BT wait for the return? A year, three years? A decade?
5.How much of the monthly subscription we pay is actually profit for BTor?

Additional factors:
1.Are there any other organisations that will contribute toward it?
2.Does BT value the 'kudos' of providing a service at a loss?
3.Does BT consider it worthwhile covering off an area to 'shut the door' on competitors such as cable?

So basically it's a complicated business decision. Very few businesses set up shop in rural areas for very good (if unfortunate) reasons. BT is not a charity and in fact as a PLC it has a legal 'duty of care' to its shareholders not to waste money. Not that it stops it doing that from time to time smile

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User ccxo
(member) Fri 06-Jan-12 14:31:10
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Cabinet cost is roughly 30k, this figure is from a local broadband meeting with my local CC, info was from bt.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User TheManStan
(learned) Fri 06-Jan-12 15:41:55
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Is that for the 288 connections or the 144 cabinets?

Ta,

Stan
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to