General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Colin_London
(regular) Fri 06-Jan-12 00:24:21
Print Post

How to calculate VDSL2 speed from Line Stats *DELETED*

[link to this post]

Post deleted by Colin_London
(regular) Fri 06-Jan-12 00:29:25
Print Post

Re: How to calculate VDSL2 speed from Line Stats

[re: Colin_London] [link to this post]

Apologies - after writing a long post I realised I was being stupid as of course existing line stats have no bearing on the new performance from the (closer) cab location.

Guess I'll have to reply on the cab uplift figure!

If my uplift figure results in a predicted download synch of 50092kbps would this be the maximum I would get out of the 80Mbps product when it comes along (I presume it means I will be getting max speed on the 40Mbps product).
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 06-Jan-12 01:06:19
Print Post

[re: Colin_London] [link to this post]

No, it means you would get around 50Mb on an 80Mb product but with a 40 Mb product it is different.

If your cabinet is enabled for 80Mb with profile 17a then you would get 40Mb (38716kb profile) with a 40Mb product. However, if your cabinet has not been upgraded and remains on profile 8c then you will get less than 40Mb. probably down around 25-28Mb.

remember the figures are estimates so the 50092 could be 55000 or 48000 or better or worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-12 08:31:18
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I believe all cabinets had the 17a profile rolled out in November but with a 40meg cap applied for the time being.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 06-Jan-12 09:48:46
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

No, most did, mine happened in December and some may still be be at 8c.

M H C

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(regular) Fri 06-Jan-12 10:58:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
No, it means you would get around 50Mb on an 80Mb product but with a 40 Mb product it is different.

If your cabinet is enabled for 80Mb with profile 17a then you would get 40Mb (38716kb profile) with a 40Mb product. However, if your cabinet has not been upgraded and remains on profile 8c then you will get less than 40Mb. probably down around 25-28Mb.

remember the figures are estimates so the 50092 could be 55000 or 48000 or better or worse.

I would also point out that not everyone is likely to see 40 Mb via 17a.
I have had the 17a profile since October.

However, due to current attenuation, SNR, & QLN levels, I can only sync at just below 30Mb at best (28928K since the latest re-sync), with an Attainable Rate of around 34Mb at sync, gradually tailing off as SNRM lowers enough & errors increase enough to force yet another re-sync.

I am supposedly 1000m from my cabinet.
I only saw a tiny speed improvement when I was switched to 17a from the 8c profile.
Standard User reddev86
(regular) Fri 06-Jan-12 12:41:27
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
No, most did, mine happened in December and some may still be be at 8c.

All the cabinets have been updated to 17a, according to the latest news from Openreach here:
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefin...

The last cabinets to be updated were done in December, with the 40Mbit limit still in place. The line checker will be updated to reflect the new profile results on 28th January.

And yeah, not everyone is seeing a large improvement on 17a, the number of people hitting the 40Mbit limit increased, but 17a does not guarantee it. I've seen some lines still syncing below 25Mbit on 17a.

FTTC via Plusnet Fibre Extra Pro
DS: 39999 US: capped to 2000
NILN exchange - 550m from cabinet
Netgear WNR1000
Standard User lee111s
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-12 15:51:43
Print Post

[re: reddev86] [link to this post]

Yay I was right tongue
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 06-Jan-12 18:08:51
Print Post

[re: reddev86] [link to this post]

Not according to the contact in OR that I was speaking with yesterday.

Because of a specific problem, they want my router back so it can be tested on a line fed from an 8c cabinet and they need it fairly quickly.

M H C

(regular) Fri 06-Jan-12 19:39:07
Print Post

Many thanks for this info!

My original question was due to the seeming innacuracy of the BT Wholesale checker w.r.t. my line for ADSL2+. It predicts I should only get about 7.5Mbps downstream when in fact I get 15.6Mbps on a 31dB line. Therefore I had no confidence in its prediction of 32.7Mbps downstream for a VDSL connection from the new cab (which is predicted by 31st March). I think they must still be using an old line measurement before a long standing fault on the line was cleared......

Anyway my new cab must be imminent now as others are popping up around town, the location of the new FTTC box has been marked next to my cab, and this evening some 'material' has been left on the road in front of it, presumably to stop the commuters parking in front of the location on Monday morning smile

Presumably any cab installed now will be the latest equipment.

PS. I am 360m measured street run from the cab.

Edited by Colin_London (Fri 06-Jan-12 19:42:59)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to