General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Jan-12 20:49:45
Print Post

FTTC profiles tweaked again?

[link to this post]

Hi,

Have the profiles been tweaked again? I used to d/l at 4.70 MB/s after the recent profile change. My max is now 4.15MB/s. At the same time, my upload speed has increased from 0.8MB/s to 1MB/s.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Mon 09-Jan-12 22:11:40)

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Jan-12 00:01:08
Print Post

Re: FTTC profiles tweaked again?

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

The frequencies used for download and upload seem to be capable of shifting around to provide a more balanced download/upload speed ratio

This might be have occured for you

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(member) Tue 10-Jan-12 07:37:53
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

If you could post your xdslcmd info --pbParams data we could see which frequency bands are in use for your connection.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Jan-12 19:37:43
Print Post

But why would they shift after several weeks?

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Tue 10-Jan-12 21:08:11
Print Post

We've seen profiles where the 17a band plan boundaries are very slightly different, but I don't think they shift around at all.

With the 8c profile, BT followed the well-known 997 band plan, truncated at 7.05MHz. Alongside the rollout of the 17a profile, they've chosen to change to the 998 band plan.

I don't think BT actually have scope to go changing these plans either - I think it is specified in the ANFP.

The main difference in going from 997 to 998, in the existing frequency part, is that the band from 3 - 3.75MHz switches from upstream to downstream, which will be a change usable for many users, probably up to 1km distant. There is additional benefit in the new frequecies too - where the 7 - 8.5MHz region is downstream in the 998 plan, but would have been upstream if they tuck to the 997 plan.

So there have certainly been benefits to the downstream, but I doubt if we'll see any more significantg shifts in the near future.
  Print Thread

Jump to