General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MaxNRG
(regular) Tue 17-Jan-12 23:19:25
Print Post

Ilford Central FTTP Rollout

[link to this post]

To cut a long story short OR appear to have stopped one street short of my Cab #66 on LNILC. I read with interest posts on this forum about OR targetting streets with Cable installed as all the streets around me have cable but my street and the two next to it are a new build from 2004/5 with no cable, all connected to a single cab which is ~4km line length from the exchange (4Mb/1Mb ADSL2+). The BT spreadsheet has my cab listed as FTTP status 'No' implying the deployment has been deferred or cancelled.

My question is if anyone can make any suggestions as to how I can find out if FTTP is going to be installed any time soon, if the cab wasn't listed at all I'd know there was no hope but the entry gives hope which is annoying when I can see my neighbours house less than 50m behind my house and know they can have FTTP and Cable but I can have neither...

Cheers.

Thomson TG582n + AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Generation)
on BE Home 24Mb

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Wed 18-Jan-12 21:06:39
Print Post

Re: Ilford Central FTTP Rollout

[re: MaxNRG] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MaxNRG:
if the cab wasn't listed at all I'd know there was no hope but the entry gives hope which is annoying when I can see my neighbours house less than 50m behind my house and know they can have FTTP and Cable but I can have neither...

No listing would mean that the postcode hasn't been considered yet - so there *would* be hope.

The "no hope" case is where the postcode is listed, but there is neither a YES nor NO in the column. These are the ones that have been considered and found undeserving; they are the ones that BT may come back to in 2014.

While a "Yes" is a good sign, a "No" is not necessarily a bad sign, as it means that the postcode was originally found to be worthwhile, but that something has happened to cause it to be removed. The question is... does the postcode still have a phase associated with it, and (if so) how does that differ from the phases mentioned in the surrounding postcodes?

Around here, a small number of postcodes got deferred. They were on the boundary to a different exchange (being done in a later phase), and I suspect that the detailed planning meant that they ended up being connected (fibre backhaul) to the other exchange instead.
Standard User MaxNRG
(regular) Thu 19-Jan-12 00:18:48
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response WWWombat, as you say I hope No means not now rather than not ever.

You've got me thinking that the path my copper line takes from Cab to exchange may be away from the area next to my home that has been FTTC enabled... There are a few post codes in that direction that are not fibre enabled. When I get to a computer I'll check which 'phase' they are in, if any.

Thanks again!

Thomson TG582n + AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Generation)
on BE Home 24Mb

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MaxNRG
(regular) Thu 16-Aug-12 21:16:17
Print Post

Got this response today from Openreach... Gutted

=====

Thank you for contacting us about fibre broadband. You are connected to LN/ILC 66.

This cab has currently been deferred out of the roll-out program, this is due to complex planning problems which has made this area commercially unviable.

As such, at this time we unable to give you a date for when your area, served by cab LN/ILC 66 will be enabled.

We have made a commitment to our customers, shareholders and the government to roll-out fibre broadband to 66% of the UK by November 2014. This is a complex and long term project and due to advances in technology which we are pursuing whilst the roll-out is being deployed, we may revisit many areas previously thought not to be commercially viable at the start of the project, such as this one, but this would be a commitment in the long term and not something that we can consider at this time.
Where cabinets are not commercially viable Government funding is available to county councils and if you can, it is worth registering your interest on your borough or County council website

You may also wish to lobby your local councillor on progress in your local area. You can also register your interest on the Openreach website at;  www.openreach.co.uk

I appreciate it is frustrating but we are deploying Fibre Broadband on a commercial basis and are not able to provide service to your PCP on that basis.

Regards

Tony Franklin
Network Investment Customer Engagement
Email:-  nga.complaints.or.enquiries@openreach.co.uk|

TG582n + AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Generation)
on BE Home 24Mb
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User PaulKirby
(newbie) Thu 03-Jul-14 23:25:36
Print Post

I know this is an old post that I am replying to but we are also connected to the Ilford Central Exchange and are down for FTTP however our Cabinet 24 seems to not of been upgraded yet leaving the lower part of our road and a couple of other side roads with no fibre, however the upper half or our road as well as a few other side roads do however they are using Cabinet 39.
I located both of these cabinets and they are across the road from each other.

Here is what the FTTC Checker says:
Cabinet (PCP) No: 24
Cabinet Vendor: BLANK
Probability: 46%
Uplift: 10.8
Phase: Phase 05b
Deployment Date: BLANK

Cabinet (PCP) No: 39
Cabinet Vendor: BLANK
Probability: 52%
Uplift: 11.08
Phase: Phase 05b
Deployment Date: BLANK

Like I said Cabinet 39 has FTTP enabled.

I did read "We have made a commitment to our customers, shareholders and the government to roll-out fibre broadband to 66% of the UK by November 2014."

So dies that mean they are still working on it due to I am down as part of that 66% just wondering why its taking so long and we have been down to be fibred up since November 2011 when our current ISP asked is we wanted to test out the 100Mbit FTTP and our ISP and ourselves have yet to be told what's holding them up.
It have nearly been 3 years already.

Also our ISP did say the following "Interestingly your line shows details for fibre line characteristics that is only found when a FTTP service is likely to go live."

So does that mean they are working on it now because I did read this:
Sites_with_capacity_issues_250614.pdf

Thanks
Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Jul-14 23:30:51
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Commercial rollout is almost done but there was a £50m extension and some delayed fttc and fttp stuff still underway

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(newbie) Thu 03-Jul-14 23:46:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Commercial rollout is almost done but there was a £50m extension and some delayed fttc and fttp stuff still underway

Thanks, I was getting no where with BT support and 3 years was starting to be a joke with no feedback from Openreach at all to our ISP so they just gave up.

I do understand the amount of work required to install Fibre from the Exchange to my house, it was just like having salt put on the wound where we have had all the fibre stuff in the pit and at the top of the pole fitted many years ago and every Openreach engineer questioned all said its all fibred up and gave a giggle when we wasn't.

Once again thanks for the info.
Paul
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Fri 04-Jul-14 08:08:01
Print Post

If you have a black manifold installed at the top of the pole that your phone line comes from then you should be able to get FTTP. If that is the case then perhaps there is a database problem. Have you checked the status for your phone line at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com?

David

plusnet Unlimited customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User PaulKirby
(newbie) Fri 04-Jul-14 08:43:00
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

Yeah we have the following at the top of the pole, a normal black box for the phone line as well as what looks like to be a black coke bottle with a very think black cable going in one end.

Yes, we have been doing checks every hour LOL
But sadly no fibre info yet only the ADSL stuff.

But I am hopeful due to we are down as part of the 66% so its just a waiting game.
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Fri 04-Jul-14 08:58:57
Print Post

Putting the coke bottle (manifold) at the top of the poles was the laest part of the Openreach deployment for those served by a pole from my cabinet. However, it did take over 2 years from when other cabinets were available on FTTC on our exchange for the FTTP cabinet to become available. At least as you are served by a pole the final part of the installation will be simple as soon as FTTP does become available to you. I have a further fight on my hands as our copper provision is through an armoured cable buried in the ground.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User PaulKirby
(newbie) Fri 04-Jul-14 11:20:36
Print Post

Well as far as I can see FTTP has no cabinet.
We have 3 cabinets serving our area cabinets 24, 33 and 39 and we are on cabinet 24.
Cabinets 24 and 39 are "Part of BT's 66% Commercial Plan" however cabinet 33 isn't.

Also lines connected to cabinet 39 have all been FTTP and being used already due to I can see the fibres leaving the coke bottle shaped enclosure going to the houses, however no new cabinets (i.e. taller cabinets with vents) installed, and what I have read FTTP is non-stop fibre from the exchange to the home and no cabinet, which is probably why its taking longer.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Jul-14 11:45:58
Print Post

With FTTP as it is passive there is no need for power in the street and no need for the new cabinets

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(newbie) Fri 04-Jul-14 12:02:55
Print Post

With FTTP as it is passive there is no need for power in the street and no need for the new cabinets

I didn't think it was needed, well that's one less planning permission then tongue
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Jul-14 12:07:04
Print Post

Pavement chambers can be problematic e.g. if its an area with expensive paving slabs the council may object to the 1m x 2m chamber covers

FTTP kit for those who want to wish http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/wgc... a good pic of what goes into a chamber for FTTP

The coke bottle http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/wgc... with one fibre leaving it in this example.

Standard User PaulKirby
(newbie) Fri 04-Jul-14 12:45:07
Print Post

Pavement chambers can be problematic e.g. if its an area with expensive paving slabs the council may object to the 1m x 2m chamber covers

This is true, however we have tarmac so shouldn't be an issue, one thing I have noticed is that they have removed the railings along the road, so now all we need is for a driver to just loose control of their car and run over the cabinet.

FTTP kit for those who want to wish http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/

That slide show looked nice.
Where would you see that enclosure with the wafers with the fibre in them (IMG_4341)?
Is that a similar to the one hanging on the rack below?
Also IMG_4356, IMG_4358, IMG_4362 looks like the fibre splicer and joiner, a lot more easier now with all the tools, all we had 20+ years back when we was using fibre was a blade (Stanley Knife), cleaning fluid (washing up liquid), microscope and a polishing block, and some smelly glue in a tube or the thermal joiner.
Make me laugh even thinking about the old days LOL
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/wgc... a good pic of what goes into a chamber for FTTP

I think we had that small clamped enclosure in the pit I think is for the phone lines, and something like the one hanging on the rack, but not sure only saw it the once at a glance while talking to the engineer and was also 2 to 3 years ago.
Also to the left it looks like the coke bottle enclosure, so I gather no pole there then or they are just getting it all ready for the pole.

The coke bottle http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/wgc... with one fibre leaving it in this example.

Yup that's the one we have up the pole, sadly ours have no cables yet coming out the top, but there are the upper end of our road.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Jul-14 13:07:22
Print Post

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/wgc...

Shows the layout of where Openreach puts all the various bits of kit and even includes an in house example (not battery backup is due to that install having FVA (Fibre Voice Access)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Jul-14 15:34:49
Print Post

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/wgc...

Shows the layout of where Openreach puts all the various bits of kit and even includes an in house example (not battery backup is due to that install having FVA (Fibre Voice Access)

Thanks Andrew. Interesting seeing the specific ducting and swept tees required.
Standard User PaulKirby
(newbie) Sun 06-Jul-14 00:39:12
Print Post

Hmm, very interesting image.

Bit confused about the Master Socket faceplate, why would that need to be touched, I was told that the Fibre was just for the broadband and doesn't have anything to-do with the actual phone line and that we would have 2 lots of cables going into our house, in our case 4 cables (due to 2 phone lines which are both down for FTTP) or was I informed incorrectly and that FTTP also handles the phone line which is why the Master Socket faceplate is changed.
Or is the faceplate changed to make it easier to be installed if ADSL is installed.

Thanks
Paul
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Sun 06-Jul-14 08:29:12
Print Post

One option for FTTP is PVF (phone via fibre) which means that the phone line no longer comes down the copper. This is what we have been told that we will have when and if the FTTP is installed by BT retail. However, not all providers do PVF. PlusNet do not.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 06-Jul-14 08:32:43
Print Post

Fibre Voice Access (FVA) ?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Sun 06-Jul-14 08:53:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

You may well be correct with the technical term. My order on the BT Retail site calls it Fibre Home Phone Line.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n

Edited by brightd (Sun 06-Jul-14 09:37:35)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Jul-14 09:14:31
Print Post

FVA is the Openreach name the other must be BT Retails name for it

Standard User PaulKirby
(newbie) Mon 07-Jul-14 10:47:13
Print Post

I have a question, if Openreach or their sub contractors are delayed installing FTTP what Phase are they currently at for Ilford Central due to my Cabinet says Phase 05b I know I won't be using a cabinet due to its a direct fibre from the exchange to my house, but I have seen posts talking about phase 11 upwards etc.

And if everything is done in those phases why hasn't ours, its been delayed by 3 years November and we are still part of the 66% and no matter who I talk to they haven't a clue and all say sorry no fibre scheduled.

I know I have said in my previous posts that there was rumours that there was some issues like the fibre snapping etc. but 3 years frown

I am not asking for the reasons why its been delayed, but just wanting to know when or when about it will be done or if they are back working on it, due to all Fibre providers say no and cannot get any more info.

And we are going to need to get new broadband connections due to brother has moved out and soon to drop his old line here and main bb connection and also taking his other bb on our line, so it would be nice to know round about when it would be available so we can align up our BB connection so that its minimal contract length expires around the time the fibre becomes active.

Would hate to buy a ADSL BB package to then find out that fibre is here a few months later.

Thanks
Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(newbie) Mon 07-Jul-14 23:17:05
Print Post

That didn't come across right and is too late to edit...
It should of said the following:
And if everything is done in those phases why hasn't ours, its been delayed by 3 years November and we are still part of the 66% and no matter who I talk to they haven't a clue what's going on and all say sorry no fibre scheduled.

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 07-Jul-14 23:18:02)

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Sat 15-Jul-17 16:48:00
Print Post

Five and half years after I started this thread LNILC 66 is now in 'Field Survey' Status for FTTC. Openreach site says 9-12 months till we have a service that can be ordered and no sign yet of any build works (obviously).

I'm happy but making sure I don't get my hopes up too high till I see some evidence of the Fibre Cab. Does anyone know a relible way to calculate copper run distance between my house and my cabinet other than walking the path of the underground ducting?

Asus DSL-AC68U
on EE & Sky Unlimited ADSL
(Formerly on Be Bonded Service, alas killed by Sky)

Sky : speedtest.net : 13th July 2015 20:43 BST
23ms ping : 3.77Mb/s Down 0.60Mb/s Up : London Server

Be Internet : speedtest.net : 2nd Jan 2013 12:13 GMT
21ms ping : 4.24Mb/s Down 0.91Mb/s Up : London Server
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Jul-17 17:35:58
Print Post

Oh, BT are rolling out FTTC now for the remaining lines on our exchange well non EO Lines which might either get their own cabinet or be moved to their nearest one.

I was lucky and ended up getting FTTP due to the hardware being live, sadly everyone else on the same PCP cabinet will be getting FTTC, even though there is FTTP infrastructure already in place.

My cabinet which is 24 is down as "live due by March 2018" however its due to be done within the next 5 months.

So in 5 months if all goes to plan I will see both FTTP as well as FTTC for my line.

I have just done some quick checks and have the following:

Cabinets 1, 2, 3, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 45, 53
Down to be completed and available within 5 Months.

Cabinets 28, 29, 38, 46, 47, 66
Down to be completed and available within 9 Months.

Cabinets 44
Down to be completed and available within 12 Months.

Cabinets 30, 33, 64
Down as not getting fibre atm.

But those dates are dependant on what infrastructure is already there and what happens from now and then.

I think its about 2.32 km (1.44mi) between your cabinet and the exchange routing how I thin kit might go, so this is all just guess work here.

Exchange : Cabinet 66

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 15-Jul-17 17:49:42)

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Sat 15-Jul-17 18:04:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Oh, BT are rolling out FTTC now for the remaining lines on our exchange well non EO Lines which might either get their own cabinet or be moved to their nearest one.

I was lucky and ended up getting FTTP due to the hardware being live, sadly everyone else on the same PCP cabinet will be getting FTTC, even though there is FTTP infrastructure already in place.

My cabinet which is 24 is down as "live due by March 2018" however its due to be done within the next 5 months.

So in 5 months if all goes to plan I will see both FTTP as well as FTTC for my line.

Cabinets 44

Cabinets 30, 33, 64

But those dates are dependant on what infrastructure is already there and what happens from now and then.

I think its about 2.32 km (1.44mi) between your cabinet and the exchange routing how I thin kit might go, so this is all just guess work here.

Paul

Thanks for the overall exchange status Paul. You are very lucky to have grabbed FTTP!

I think my line is 4-5km to the exchange (based on my ADSL line attenuation). I was actually looking for a tool to work out my home to cabinet line length so I can estimate VDSL speeds I can expect.

Asus DSL-AC68U

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Jul-17 18:37:18
Print Post

For my connection there was a lot involved to get BT to install it, including emails being sent by my local MP and myself.

As for your actual distance, well its all guess work TBH, just work out how it could be routed using common sense from your home to the cabinet.

See I use to get about between 4 to 5Mbps on a very good dry day when on ADSL2+, and I am about 2.7 to 3.5km from the exchange.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Sat 25-Nov-17 22:22:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

Cabinets 44

Cabinets 30, 33, 64

Paul

4.5 months on and my Cabinet LNILC 66 has been in the 'Build' stage for a while with no evidence of any actual infrastructure work. Code Look says the FTTC live date is December 2017 (Fantasy as far as I can tell). Paul can you check your sources for an up to date estimate? Did your cabinet get FTTC?

Asus DSL-AC68U

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Nov-17 22:28:41
Print Post

4.5 months on and my Cabinet LNILC 66 has been in the 'Build' stage for a while with no evidence of any actual infrastructure work. Code Look says the FTTC live date is December 2017 (Fantasy as far as I can tell). Paul can you check your sources for an up to date estimate? Did your cabinet get FTTC?

As far as I can see loads are being done over the next 4 to 6 months, some should be done between the next few weeks and within the first quarter of next year.
As for what cabinets they are I cannot tell you.

Sadly I have lost most of my sources that I use to abuse LOL, but I will try and take a look.

As for my Cabinet 24, yeah it went live not long ago with FTTC, I am now glad I kept pestering the people high up in BT to get my FTTP.

*** Update ***
Found this for cabinet 66.

Date: 27 Nov - 8 Dec
Description: Install 4m of 2 poly ducts in Footway,
Description: Provide, Renew or Recover 1 DSLAM street cabinet and base.
Work Ref: BC006CT001LC500245072600 

Date: 27 Nov - 8 Dec
Description: Install 4m of 2 poly ducts in Footway,
Work Ref: BC006CT001LC500245072601

Some homes on cabinet 48 have FTTP and the rest are due to get FTTC.

Date: 7 Dec - 20 Dec
Description: Install 25m of 1 way poly duct in Footway,
Work Ref: BC006CT001LC500251798300  

Date: 7 Dec - 20 Dec
Description: Install 5m of 1 way poly duct in Footway.
Work Ref: BC006CT001LC500251798301

Cabinet 13:
Date: 30 Nov - 13 Dec
Description: Install 8m of 2 poly ducts in Footway,
Work Ref: BC006CT001LC500243809000

Cabinet 28:
Date: 4 Dec - 15 Dec 
Description: Install 6m of 2 poly ducts in Footway,
Work Ref: BC006CT001LC500245062301   

Date: 4 Dec - 15 Dec 
Description: Install 3m of 2 poly ducts in Footway,
Description: Install 8m of 2 poly ducts in Carriageway,
Description: Provide, Renew or Recover 1 DSLAM street cabinet and base, 
Description: Install 1m of 1 way power duct in Footway,
Description: Performing an 1excavation to expose existing power cable in Footway.
Work Ref: BC006CT001LC500245062303

Cabinet 23
Date: 16 Nov - 29 Nov 
Description: Install 5m of 2 poly ducts in Footway.
Work Ref: BC006CT001LC500243880204

Date: 16 Nov - 29 Nov 
Description: Install 15m of 2 poly ducts in Footway,
Work Ref: BC006CT001LC500243880205

Cabinet 46
Date: 20 Nov - 1 Dec  
Description: Install 1m of 2 poly ducts in Verge,
Description: Install 20m of 2 poly ducts in Footway,
Work Ref: BC006CT001LC500245057201

Date: 20 Nov - 1 Dec  
Description: Install 1m of 2 poly ducts in Verge,
Description: Install 20m of 2 poly ducts in Footway,
Work Ref: BC006CT001LC500245057202

Cabinet 1 (I Think)
Date: 1 Dec - 7 Dec  
Description: DSLAM STREET CABINET & POWER INSTALLATION plus PCP RESHELL. 
Description: Excavate to lay BT ducts, Lay concrete plinth, Stand cab. 
Description: Excavate to expose low voltage cable for Power Connection and lay duct. 
Description: POWER engineer to carry out inspection prior to jointing. 
Description: POWER jointing team to insert cable and execute jointing works. 
Description: Reinstate, Check and clear site. Maximum excavation depth 700mm.
Work Ref: BC006KNLEPSEILFRDCNTRL11

Cabinet 2 is live with FTTC

This is about all I could find when doing a quick search.
Hope it helps.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 25-Nov-17 23:51:20)

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Tue 28-Nov-17 17:46:47
Print Post

Just seen the construction work around LNILC PCP 66 that started yesterday. Hoping that they don't have any technical issues with the install. Trying to contain my impatience for completion, can't wait to increase our broadband speed by 20 to 25 times!

Asus DSL-AC68U

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Sat 02-Dec-17 22:31:26
Print Post

Pictures of our new Fibre Cabnet smile

LNILC PCP66 Fibre Cabinet 1
LNILC PCP 66 Fibre Cabinet 2
LNILC PCP 66 Existing Cabinet in relation to Fibre Cabinet

Gotta remind myself weíve waited 6 years... another few months is not an issue!

Asus DSL-AC68U

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Dec-17 00:14:13
Print Post

I am glad its all going ahead, shouldn't be too long now smile

BTW how far are you from the cabinet?

Yeah, I had to wait 5 to 6 years to get our FTTP and all the hardware was already in place since 2011 - 2012, just they system said no LOL.

A few emails to the high up people and also my local MP getting involved got it resolved for us.
Might of also been me stating they are wasting money not making that hardware available for us, then a few days after it was available tongue

Granted there was a slight build issue where the engineers incorrectly installed the fibres into the Splitter Node Trays and between the Splitter Node and each of the DP hardware, after a further month it was resolved.

Paul

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Sun 03-Dec-17 01:58:55
Print Post

I think I am 300-350 metres to the cabinet. Iím hoping this is close enough for the maximum 80/20 connection via FTTC fingers crossed.

Might look at a FTTPoD quote once FTTC is live as I suspect the nearest aggregation point is less than 550m away since the next road to mine has FTTP.

Asus DSL-AC68U

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Dec-17 02:12:07
Print Post

I think I am 300-350 metres to the cabinet. Iím hoping this is close enough for the maximum 80/20 connection via FTTC fingers crossed.

You might be lucky, I know I am about 450m from my cabinet and BTOR states the following:
"speeds":
{
    "fttc":
    {
         "up":"11.83",
         "down":"44"
    },
    "fttp":
    {
        "up":"",
        "down":330
    },
    "gfast":
    {
        "up":"",
        "down":""
    }
},
"fttc":true,
"fttp":true,
"gfast":""

So that's about 44Mbits down and just under 12Mbits up and that's if I was lucky.
Its strange that they don't list the upload speed for FTTP where as they do for FTTC and possibly GFAST.

Might look at a FTTPoD quote once FTTC is live as I suspect the nearest aggregation point is less than 550m away since the next road to mine has FTTP.

The Agg Node could be outside your home but if its full nothing else can come off it.

Its also down to how their network is all routed, they may or may not take a different route for FTTPod.

But if that Agg Node is full they could always go to the next nearest Agg Node that has free fibres.

Paul

Standard User sdurrani
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-18 10:23:01
Print Post

Well, i am connected to the same cabinet 66 as well. Its been 3 months and the status is still stuck with Connect phase. I wrote the email to the CEO which then got fwd to lower staff. They said the cabinet got power and just waiting for fibre connections and should be done by the end of March so they have now another email from me in their inbox.
I have also written to the MP and he is raising the issue with them as well. It looks like this is taking unusually long time. This needs to be fixed as all over the area everyone got Fibre as well as Virgin cable and we have none.

Also, the btwholesale site show this, so the speed will be much better than 2 mbps we are getting at the minute.

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 63 20 19 55.3 Planned -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 55.8 20 17.2 42.5 Planned -- --

Edited by sdurrani (Tue 03-Apr-18 11:15:32)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Apr-18 12:57:57
Print Post

[re: sdurrani] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sdurrani:
Well, i am connected to the same cabinet 66 as well. Its been 3 months and the status is still stuck with Connect phase. I wrote the email to the CEO which then got fwd to lower staff. They said the cabinet got power and just waiting for fibre connections and should be done by the end of March so they have now another email from me in their inbox.
I have also written to the MP and he is raising the issue with them as well. It looks like this is taking unusually long time. This needs to be fixed as all over the area everyone got Fibre as well as Virgin cable and we have none.

Also, the btwholesale site show this, so the speed will be much better than 2 mbps we are getting at the minute.

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 63 20 19 55.3 Planned -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 55.8 20 17.2 42.5 Planned -- --

I just checked the work in the area and they are doing some unblocking of ducts, also seems they are also trying to locate a blockage too.

These jobs are due to finish on the 5th (assuming they were completed) some times jobs are passed so they have to make another request to do the works.

These jobs might be required to be completed before they can install all the fibre cables if they haven't done so already, this can also take some time to do.

I say give it another week or two checking daily you might be lucky.

And yes those speeds will be great compared to 2Mbps you got before.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.27 Mbps (down), 30.5 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User sdurrani
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-18 13:53:23
Print Post

Thanks, where are you looking for jobs? i am checking https://roadworks.org/ and it only shows one work which was supposed to be finished today but there wasn't work done when i looked this morning on the way to work and its little far away, do you think they are getting cables from that cabiet?
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Apr-18 14:17:53
Print Post

Thanks, where are you looking for jobs? i am checking https://roadworks.org/ and it only shows one work which was supposed to be finished today but there wasn't work done when i looked this morning on the way to work and its little far away, do you think they are getting cables from that cabiet?

I am using Roadworks and I can see the following:
Roadwork Ref: BC006TI001LC500260037900
Roadwork Ref: BC006TI001LC500260173100

They don't seem to be part of the same Job lot, unless it was added later on.

Not sure on BT's routing of the cables, so they could come from anywhere, but where being told that a cabinet is waiting for the fibres to be connected up, and you sometimes see ducts being unblocked.

So those 2 above jobs may or may not be linked to your cabinet getting the fibre cables.

As for the work you say not being done, that happens a lot, there was a chamber that needed to be replaced with an newer larger standard square shaped one down my road and it took 3 to 4 jobs on roadwork's before it was completed.

So yeah, it may take a few tries before it gets done.

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User sdurrani
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-18 14:33:25
Print Post

Thanks the first one i was referring to which perhaps not that far but who knows. The later is too far away i would think.
I thought the FTTC cabinet connects to near aggregate point? if so, it should be near by as the streets before got fibre. but i guess we still need to wait and see.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Apr-18 14:45:06
Print Post

Thanks the first one i was referring to which perhaps not that far but who knows. The later is too far away i would think.
I thought the FTTC cabinet connects to near aggregate point? if so, it should be near by as the streets before got fibre. but i guess we still need to wait and see.

Well it would depend on if BT are routing fibre cables down the Ilford Lane (A123) and then Loxford Lane, if so then these jobs might not be linked to your cabinet.

As for the AGN (Aggregation Node) the one closest to you might be already full, so they would have to fall back to its parent node and so on until they fine some spare fibres where they run and install a new AGN for your area.

Paul

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Wed 04-Apr-18 00:33:15
Print Post

I figured I'd give BTO the full 5-6 months from FTTC Cabinet install before I got impatient with them, but it appears my neighbours are just as keen for them to get a move on as we are at 4 months and counting since the cabinet appeared. After waiting the 6 years and 3 months that this thread has been going (and over 13 years since this estate was built) I'm not about to get hysterical over a couple of months delay. There are many punters on sub-USO connections both urban and rural that don't even have a date, let alone a fibre cabinet.

I've not seen any activity at the FTTC cabinet next to LNILC 66 for a couple of months, I figured the holdup was the usual scheduling of actual engineers to do the connecting...

Asus DSL-AC68U

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-18 08:33:58
Print Post

Well I am wondering if our exchange could handle any more connections, I have been told by a few engineers that our exchange needs upgrading to support the new Ultrafast BT are starting to supply.

Whether this is true or not I cannot say, but I have noticed my speeds starting to get lower and lower in the evenings as they install fibre to more homes, so this might be true.

Like I have said already I can see jobs where they are clearing ducts, blockages etc, so this might be so there is space for more fibre cables.

Paul

Standard User sdurrani
(newbie) Wed 04-Apr-18 10:11:23
Print Post

I am hoping they have enough bandwidth and connections for new users because this estate easily got 200+ houses and i am sure atleast 50% would go for it.

I was also wondering, if the fibre connection is not done and they are clearing ducts or even finding AGN, how are they able to update the btwholesale website with very specfic info about the speeds etc?
I would laugh if this all turns out to be just a status update issue and the cabinet is already connected lol.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 04-Apr-18 11:28:16
Print Post

The checker is giving VDSL2 connection estimates between the cabinet and the end user (Distribution point in fact).
I would suggest the cabinet isn't yet connected and they are looking at
Alternative routes for the fibre connection due to a number of blockages found
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-18 11:30:28
Print Post

Well according the BT Wholesale Site I can get the 50Mbits up, sadly BT says I cannot due to its not available yet.

This is (according to the engineers I spoke to) due to not enough bandwidth to the exchange to handle all these connections, like I said this may or may not be true, but I am seeing more and more of my bandwidth go in the evenings where as during the day its all fine.

It might be already connected and they are waiting for the hardware at the exchange to be upgraded before they enable the cabinet.

But until this is confirmed this is all guess work.

Paul

Standard User sdurrani
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-18 20:38:22
Print Post

Finally got some respond from OR
ď
After we installed the fibre cabinet, we needed to install our fibre cables into it to connect it to our network. But we came across an unexpected problem. When we tried to feed through our fibre cable into the underground duct, we found that a large section of it was blocked. To unblock this would have needed traffic lights and permission for a road closure from the local council so that our contractors can carry out the work safely. All this wouldíve delayed the upgrade work even more. So, we explored what alternatives we had.

The good news is weíve found an alternative solution and believe we can utilise some of the fibre cable thatís already been fitted underground nearby. We hope to begin the engineering work soon to connect this fibre cable to the fibre broadband cabinet. This work will take some weeks to finish.

As things stand, fibre broadband should be available by the end of June. But as this is complex work, there is a chance that the delivery date could be pushed

So some hope that they havenít forgotten and soon it will be resolved.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Apr-18 20:48:43
Print Post

Ah, I thought it was due to blockages, glad they are looking into ways to resolve the issues.

Paul

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Fri 20-Apr-18 05:05:33
Print Post

Well done getting a response out of OR. Basically itís been so long since they laid the FTTP fibre in the rest if our area that the ducts have become blocked, I shouldn't be surprised... I wonder how far away the blockage was and what the alternate routing is?

Asus DSL-AC68U

Edited by MaxNRG (Fri 20-Apr-18 05:06:26)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Apr-18 08:41:20
Print Post

Well done getting a response out of OR. Basically itís been so long since they laid the FTTP fibre in the rest if our area that the ducts have become blocked, I shouldn't be surprised... I wonder how far away the blockage was and what the alternate routing is?

As far as I can see there was some blockages not far from the exchange due to there were some job down to locate and clear them.

One thing I can say is the Exchange has been upgraded to do Ultrafast if you are on FTTP that is.

Paul

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Fri 20-Apr-18 09:09:40
Print Post

FTTP, lmao!!! At this point Iíll take decades old FTTC tech with the promise of G.fast or a FTTPoD investment within the next decade... It still makes me giggle that we donít quite have legislation that requires a 10Mbps USO when the Broadband Lottery gives some access to 100x this speed for the same cost or less!!!

Asus DSL-AC68U

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Apr-18 09:59:10
Print Post

Yeah, I just checked and after the 18 Month contract on ADSL you are paying more than what Infinity costs.

I am sure yours will get resolved soon, I still see July as the estimated date the cabinet will go live.

Paul

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Fri 20-Apr-18 13:25:24
Print Post

Where do you seee the July estimate?

Asus DSL-AC68U

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Apr-18 14:12:34
Print Post

Where do you seee the July estimate?

I saw that on code look, but there are a few cabinets that are due to go live around that time.

Paul

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Sun 29-Apr-18 21:03:07
Print Post

I saw some engineers working at the fibre cabinet on Saturday 28th April. I stopped to talk to them and they suggested the cabinet may be connected this week. Fingers crossed...

Asus DSL-AC68U

Standard User sdurrani
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-18 10:21:05
Print Post

Yes, saw them too on the way to run. Didn't try to bother them as i wanted them to fully focus on the job, lol.

But i think they are getting the fibre from the south park drive side, instead of ilford lane side. Either way finger crossed!
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Apr-18 15:25:50
Print Post

I saw some engineers working at the fibre cabinet on Saturday 28th April. I stopped to talk to them and they suggested the cabinet may be connected this week. Fingers crossed...

That is good news smile
Lets hope once its all connected and tested it doesn't take too long to go live.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 330 Mbps (down), 50 Mbps (up) FVA
Standard User sdurrani
(newbie) Wed 02-May-18 20:00:37
Print Post

We got the infamous silver lock! This is getting closer for sure.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-May-18 21:45:33
Print Post

We got the infamous silver lock! This is getting closer for sure.

Cool, hopefully not long now smile

I know BT are doing several cabs for the exchange at the moment, so a few cabs should go live around the same time.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Thu 03-May-18 19:54:05
Print Post

Openreach status has moved to ĎActivateí, was in ĎConnectí for 4.5 months.

I can barely contain my excitement!!!

Asus DSL-AC68U

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-May-18 20:15:44
Print Post

Openreach status has moved to ĎActivateí, was in ĎConnectí for 4.5 months.

I can barely contain my excitement!!!

It must of changed over night due to it was still on the connect stage yesterday.

I was the same with FTTP and Ultrafast 2, I had spent a long time with a rubbish ADSL2+ connection that was dropping out when it rained etc, I spent a 20 odd mins doing loads tests LOL

But yeah, not long now smile

BTW what speeds does the DSL Checker estimate you will get?

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 03-May-18 20:17:25)

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Fri 04-May-18 00:14:46
Print Post

The guys doing the install on Saturday were spot on. BT Wholesale site says 'Planned ' for WBC FTTC with speed estimates:

VDSL Range A (clean) 63-80 Downstream, 19-20 Upstream : Minimum 55.3 Downstream
VDSL Range B (impacted) 55.8-80 Downstream, 17.2-20 Upstream : Minimum 42.5 Downstream

Not sure which range I fit into, but will be very happy with 60 Mbps+

Asus DSL-AC68U

Edited by MaxNRG (Fri 04-May-18 00:15:15)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-May-18 03:24:44
Print Post

The guys doing the install on Saturday were spot on. BT Wholesale site says 'Planned ' for WBC FTTC with speed estimates:

VDSL Range A (clean) 63-80 Downstream, 19-20 Upstream : Minimum 55.3 Downstream
VDSL Range B (impacted) 55.8-80 Downstream, 17.2-20 Upstream : Minimum 42.5 Downstream

Not sure which range I fit into, but will be very happy with 60 Mbps+

Well if you have good wiring they I would say Range A, but aiming for 60Mbps would be good.

Paul

Standard User sdurrani
(newbie) Fri 04-May-18 11:14:31
Print Post

Its available now, yay!. Already ordered with EE to upgrade. BT and other websites are reflecting the same. Vodafone says they are out of capacity at the exchange ( i wanted to go with them). so EE it is then. Contract expiring on 18th (i know lucky) so they will move me to fibre on 18th.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-May-18 19:50:38
Print Post

Its available now, yay!. Already ordered with EE to upgrade. BT and other websites are reflecting the same. Vodafone says they are out of capacity at the exchange ( i wanted to go with them). so EE it is then. Contract expiring on 18th (i know lucky) so they will move me to fibre on 18th.

Nice and congrats, I know we were very excited when we finally got fibre after 5 years of being told its not here when it was.

What speed did you go with in the end with EE?
I know you will notice the difference tongue

Paul

Standard User sdurrani
(newbie) Fri 04-May-18 20:34:25
Print Post

Yeah thanks. Very excited lol.
The speed is same between 50-60 mbps. Not sure why the minimum was 30mbps but canít complain even then. This is easily 20 times what I am dealing with right now. Gutted that Vodafone was not available. I thought they were not updated but the guy told me that they are out of capacity or something .
Now gotta wait till 18th. All set otherwise.
Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Fri 04-May-18 21:28:35
Print Post

All good with me as well. Upgraded 3 ADSL connections to FTTC. BT said minimum speed would be 52 Mbps, EE said 35 Mbps and Sky said 56 Mbps. Total cost to go from 3Mbps ADSL to 20x faster ~60Mbps FTTC was £3-4 per month from each provider!!! 18th May install estimate. I suspect a couple of engineers will be upgrading 10s of lines that day in PCP66.

Can't wait to upgrade my signature wink

Asus DSL-AC68U

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-May-18 21:50:44
Print Post

Yeah thanks. Very excited lol.
The speed is same between 50-60 mbps. Not sure why the minimum was 30mbps but canít complain even then. This is easily 20 times what I am dealing with right now. Gutted that Vodafone was not available. I thought they were not updated but the guy told me that they are out of capacity or something .
Now gotta wait till 18th. All set otherwise.

Yeah, sounds about right, you watch those 2 weeks go slow and then slow to a halt near the end lol

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-May-18 22:04:24
Print Post

All good with me as well. Upgraded 3 ADSL connections to FTTC. BT said minimum speed would be 52 Mbps, EE said 35 Mbps and Sky said 56 Mbps. Total cost to go from 3Mbps ADSL to 20x faster ~60Mbps FTTC was £3-4 per month from each provider!!! 18th May install estimate. I suspect a couple of engineers will be upgrading 10s of lines that day in PCP66.

Can't wait to upgrade my signature wink

Yeah, our price from ADSL 2+ to Infinity 4 was a big jump, but if you work out the price per Mbit it is cheaper.

Also the price difference from Infinity 4 to Ultrafast 2 was a few quid per month, we did have a discount on infinity 4 at the time of about £21 per month due to a resub.

So all in all it is also cheaper.

Well I could have more connections due to having the 4 Data Port ONT fitted, but TBH I don't think I need any more speed, sure an extra connection for backup would be nice, but overall we are happy what we have now.

As for the sig, yeah smile I think mine will stay like this for a while.

Paul

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Sat 05-May-18 09:37:30
Print Post

Because we have had such poor speeds I have access to 4 phone lines. It has made switching between providers simpler, as I never lost all my connections at once. So with the upgrade to FTTC I've dropped by one line to three. I know I'm spending more but I need high availability on my internet for work. If my speeds are really good I might go down to 2 connections, but it is cool having Sky, BT and EE to shuffle between.

Asus DSL-AC68U

Standard User candlerb
(regular) Mon 07-May-18 15:34:24
Print Post

> Because we have had such poor speeds I have access to 4 phone lines. It has made switching between providers simpler, as I never lost all my connections at once.

Aside: you might be interested in Andrews & Arnold L2TP service, where you get static IPv4 and IPv6 addresses from aaisp, but access them via a different ISP's connection. £10 per month.

I don't know however whether it supports any sort of multipath to allow you to aggregate your lines together - but it would be worth asking.
Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Thu 17-May-18 19:19:58
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
> Because we have had such poor speeds I have access to 4 phone lines. It has made switching between providers simpler, as I never lost all my connections at once.

Aside: you might be interested in Andrews & Arnold L2TP service, where you get static IPv4 and IPv6 addresses from aaisp, but access them via a different ISP's connection. £10 per month.

I don't know however whether it supports any sort of multipath to allow you to aggregate your lines together - but it would be worth asking.

Thanks for the suggestion. Iíve been fone with a manual switch between connections up until now. Iíll enquire about the service though just out of curiosity!

Asus DSL-AC68U

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Fri 18-May-18 08:22:59
Print Post

All lines upgraded and sycing at 79999/19999!!!

Totally happy 3.5/0.7Mbps to 75/19Mbps laugh

Time to update my Sig!!!

Asus DSL-AC68U

Edited by MaxNRG (Fri 18-May-18 10:23:31)

Standard User sdurrani
(newbie) Fri 18-May-18 08:44:19
Print Post

Yeah my broadband went down this morning. Just connected the new device and itís up and running. Speed tested on iPhone and it was 70mbps. Very happy now smile
Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Fri 18-May-18 10:31:32
Print Post

I can hardly believe it... 25 times faster is crazy. Just streamed a 4K video for the first time!

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-May-18 17:19:01
Print Post

All lines upgraded and sycing at 79999/19999!!!

Totally happy 3.5/0.7Mbps to 75/19Mbps laugh

Time to update my Sig!!!

Congrats smile

I bet it seemed like you would never get there, I know our 5 year battle with BT seemed like that some times.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-May-18 17:23:56
Print Post

I can hardly believe it... 25 times faster is crazy. Just streamed a 4K video for the first time!

Yeah, when we got ours I did loads of tests, I even tried watching several different 4K live streams at the same time and I still had loads of bandwidth left.

Where as before we had issues watching SD Streams on our ADSL connection.

Paul

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to