General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User reddev86
(regular) Wed 18-Jan-12 15:33:31
Print Post

Is anyone here on the 80/20 FTTC trial?

[link to this post]

Just wondered if anyone here managed to get a place on the trial, the eligible exchanges list was pretty short, and unfortunately mine wasn't on it, nor were any exchanges in Northern Ireland or Scotland IIRC.

I'd be interested to see what throughput, IP Profiles and sync speeds people are seeing on various line lengths.

I've seen a couple of people on Plusnet got onto the trial, but details are limited since no one taking part has unlocked the modem.

FTTC via Plusnet Fibre Extra Pro
DS: 39999 US: capped to 2000
NILN exchange - 550m from cabinet
Netgear WNR1000
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Wed 18-Jan-12 16:21:16
Print Post

Re: Is anyone here on the 80/20 FTTC trial?

[re: reddev86] [link to this post]

There is a limited trial for the month of January then this is to be extended in early February. I have bene told that I will be part of the trial from Febsmile

Standard User Yerman164
(regular) Wed 18-Jan-12 17:27:38
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

How did you get onto the trial, did BT contact you? Does anyone have a list of the exchanges that will be running the trial?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User reddev86
(regular) Wed 18-Jan-12 18:16:44
Print Post

[re: Yerman164] [link to this post]

It's up to your ISP to offer such a trial, not all ISPs take part in them. Plusnet and IDNet post news about upcoming trials of new products in the forums, not sure about BT or others.

The list of exchanges eligible for the first trial in Jan/Feb is here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,9862... and from sometime in February, it will open up to all exchanges but with limited places.

The cut off time for new participants in the January trial was 5pm yesterday, for Plusnet anyway, I'm not sure if that was a general deadline for everyone or specifically just them.

FTTC via Plusnet Fibre Extra Pro
DS: 39999 US: capped to 2000
NILN exchange - 550m from cabinet
Netgear WNR1000

Edited by reddev86 (Wed 18-Jan-12 18:19:37)

Standard User nelix01
(committed) Wed 18-Jan-12 18:25:11
Print Post

I work for an ISP and was asked if I wanted to take part by the Project Manger responsible for the trials. My understanding is the same in that the first part of the trial was for a handful of exchanges then it would be opened up to all other areas and as Reddev86 say's, limited to a small number of customers from each participating ISP's. There was deadline for those registrations but I am not sure of the exact date.

Standard User Yerman164
(regular) Wed 18-Jan-12 20:43:44
Print Post

Thanks for the information guys. My exchange is on that list, but I'm on BT Infinity and I can't find any information anywhere about signing up for a trial. There is no mention on the BT forums. If anyone here does work for BT and knows how to get on the trial then I'd love to try it out.
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Wed 18-Jan-12 21:06:10
Print Post

BT Retail (Infinity) will most likely conduct these trials with internal staff before launch. As per previous replies, the registration for potential trial lines seems to be now closed. The full launch of 80/20 is down for March/April.

Standard User lee111s
(newbie) Wed 18-Jan-12 21:11:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by nelix01:
BT Retail (Infinity) will most likely conduct these trials with internal staff before launch. As per previous replies, the registration for potential trial lines seems to be now closed. The full launch of 80/20 is down for March/April.

Exactly this, BT do it all in house.
Standard User Yerman164
(regular) Wed 18-Jan-12 22:20:12
Print Post

Ok fair enough, not too long to wait if it's due to be launched by April.
Standard User lee111s
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 00:29:35
Print Post

I guess it all depends how it performs. If there's problems with it then it might be later than that.

I think Openreach have said it will be available to service providers by that time. Whether or not the SP decides to release it at that time depends on the success of any trials that take place.
  Print Thread

Jump to