General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Colin_London
(regular) Wed 18-Jan-12 21:44:56
Print Post

Telent Cab Installation

[link to this post]

I originally asked this on the Cab thread, but Admin closed that down just after I posted meaning no-one was able to reply to my question!

Does anyone have experience of Telent working practices when installing cabs in a town?

There are about 18 cabs on the rollout document to be done around Epping. Telnet was busy installing several around town in the week after New Year and I have spotted 8 in-situ. However the workers now seem to have disappeared.

My cab hasn't appeared next to the PCP yet even though there is a (now faded) paint mark up on the pavement where it should be going.

So I'm naturally concerned that there are issues preventing installation of my cab. It is still on the line checker as 31st March RFS however. Do Telent tend to just disappear off a job like this mid-way through, or are they really not coming back?
Standard User Justo
(regular) Thu 19-Jan-12 10:24:04
Print Post

Re: Telent Cab Installation

[re: Colin_London] [link to this post]

They tend to descend for a week, work on three of four cabs and then come back some weeks later for another week. However, once the cab is in there is still the issue of power (which isn't Telent) and the fibre itself. Your cab, power and fibre can come in any order (usually, fibre and cab tend to come around the same time).
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Thu 19-Jan-12 20:39:11
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

Another reason is that Carillion Telent are performing less installs as sub-contractors for BT Openreach and may be replaced by other sub-contractors.

Morrison are carrying out the works to install the majority of new cabs in parts of Kent (Dover, Thanet and parts of the Canterbury District - Whitstable).

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~24336.33 kbit/s - ~2970.74 KB/s
Upstream ~10224.86 kbit/s - ~1248.15 KB/s

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Thu 19-Jan-12 21:05:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Justo:
They tend to descend for a week, work on three of four cabs and then come back some weeks later for another week. However, once the cab is in there is still the issue of power (which isn't Telent) and the fibre itself. Your cab, power and fibre can come in any order (usually, fibre and cab tend to come around the same time).

Many thanks Justo. So maybe I shouldn't get too paranoid just yet! I was fully aware of the additional need for power and fibre connections, but the appearance of the cab is fairly definite proof that it's going to happen (although I appreciate there are posts on here of people with cabs that have been waiting months for power).

It's annoying when you know you should be getting FTTC, and everywhere else in town seems to have got a cab installed already (although I'm fairly certain there are a few missing elsewhere).

Walking back from work each day I keep my fingers crossed to see road cones when I turn the corner, but I keep getting disappointed!
(regular) Thu 19-Jan-12 21:09:42
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Yaz:
Another reason is that Carillion Telent are performing less installs as sub-contractors for BT Openreach and may be replaced by other sub-contractors.

Morrison are carrying out the works to install the majority of new cabs in parts of Kent (Dover, Thanet and parts of the Canterbury District - Whitstable).

Surely they get contracted on an exchange area basis to tie in with the rollout programme?

Would be a nightmare to PM and audit the installation works any other way - the record of who did what would be more trouble than it was worth. Also there surely wouldn't be many efficiencies to get different contractors into the same area to do a few cabs each - once you get the staff there they may as well blast away and get the whole exchange area done.

Edited by Colin_London (Thu 19-Jan-12 21:10:21)

(regular) Thu 19-Jan-12 21:54:57
Print Post

Oh no, this looks bad frown

Just had the idea of search the council planning applications. There were 11 for DSLAMs in Epping. Despite what is shown on the leaked document:

8 were approved (1 of which was superceded, meaning only 7 have been approved for install)
3 were refused
And none of the above were my Cab (#8).

So this suggests that the leaked list is either wrong and BT have removed my cab from the rollout, or they just haven't gotten around to applying yet (which doesn't seem right - why would they not apply at the same time as all of the other ones??)

This ties up with what I have observed. My cab was supposed to be on a pavement so definitely needed permission frown I think I have spotted two cabs which are not on the planning list, but they are both well away from the public pavement.

Bet it's the blocked ducts down the hill due to all the gasworks. Knew I was right to be suspicious. Grrr!

******************** PANIC OVER! ******************

It was lodged under a different description - 'Electronic Communications Apparatus for BT Openreach' and didn't mention DSLAM unlike the others which is why it didn't come up on my search.

It was approved in October smile

It's a different prfile cabinet than the others (a 'F01H200' rather than a Huawei) so maybe that's the reason for the delay?

Edited by Colin_London (Thu 19-Jan-12 22:15:08)

Standard User Justo
(regular) Fri 20-Jan-12 09:36:28
Print Post

Yes, a new cabinet going in means you will be getting FTTC at some point, alas in my case it's been over six months since that happened and no power still.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 20-Jan-12 23:20:42
Print Post

I don't know how Openreach contract out the rollouts.

I have first-hand experience (past, present and more to come) of the Streetworks actions of Carillion, Morrison and the other two sub-contractors (Owen Mullen and Bearsted if I remember correctly) and it's been a nightmare anyway.

I can't really say much more to be honest.

vFast Ltd
(regular) Fri 20-Jan-12 23:40:29
Print Post

Was driving around today so thought I would do an audit (sad I know!).

Of the 15 cabs left in the rollout here (after removing the 3 that didn't get planning permission), 11 have been installed, and there are 4 remaining to be installed.

However, thanks to the wonderful Elgin site referenced on another post here I can see that 'BT' (i.e. Carillion Telent) are coming back in February to finish the job smile

My cab does seem to be a month behind the other though which have power works scheduled for February.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Sat 21-Jan-12 12:27:54
Print Post

You know that you can setup a search in ELGIN by plotting an area and it will alert you to works within.

I work within Streetworks and use ELGIN side by side with our main system (from which it takes its data from). Itís pretty useful for keeping an eye on the overall area just as long as the information is correct when submitted by the relevant utility to the local highway authority.

vFast Ltd
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to