General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User herbgold
(member) Fri 20-Jan-12 08:51:26
Print Post

Powerline networking?

[link to this post]

Hi, apologies if this has been answered before - I have looked and couldn't find anything about it.

We're (Wandsworth - LSWAN) due to go FTTC in March. My master socket is under the stairs, together with two 13 amp power sockets. Is there any reason why the supplied modem under the stairs should not be connected to my router (in the study) via a pair of powerline plugs (I have a pair of Devolo dLAN Duos). This would seem to be a more elegant solution than having a cable wandering halfway round the house.
Standard User lee111s
(newbie) Fri 20-Jan-12 09:21:16
Print Post

Re: Powerline networking?

[re: herbgold] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by herbgold:
Hi, apologies if this has been answered before - I have looked and couldn't find anything about it.

We're (Wandsworth - LSWAN) due to go FTTC in March. My master socket is under the stairs, together with two 13 amp power sockets. Is there any reason why the supplied modem under the stairs should not be connected to my router (in the study) via a pair of powerline plugs (I have a pair of Devolo dLAN Duos). This would seem to be a more elegant solution than having a cable wandering halfway round the house.

Due to IP addresses I'm not sure. I use the a set of Devolo's myself. The way I have it set up is that I have the modem and router plugged into the master socket and plug an Ethernet cable from my router into my Devolo device and have the other devolo device upstairs. Works a treat wink
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Jan-12 10:21:31
Print Post

Following on from lee111s, what speed rating are your Devolos, and what is your FTTC speed estimate? Recommended checker.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Jan-12 10:27:07
Print Post

The Duo are the old blue 85Meg units, that is 85/2 and then remove overheads, so are not really man enough for FTTC.

The AV200 at a minimum, but with speed upgrades already due the AV 500 really should be looked at.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Fri 20-Jan-12 10:38:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by herbgold:

Notwithstanding the speed issue, my gut feeling is that this would not work and lee111s's solution would be the more conventional approach.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Jan-12 10:43:05
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

The Homeplugs don't usually appear as IP devices, i.e. they are just dumb bridges so should work between modem and router.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Fri 20-Jan-12 10:56:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The Homeplugs don't usually appear as IP devices, i.e. they are just dumb bridges so should work between modem and router.
That's interesting, because mine appear as IP devices.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 20-Jan-12 11:01:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Agreed, they should work fine to bridge this connection.

I have a set of D-Link AV200 units, they report a sync rate of 185Mbps to one another (one is on the upstairs ring, the other on the downstairs). I figure that provides plenty of overhead for an 80/20Mbps connection.

Previously I had a set of the Belkin gigabit powerline adapters, which rarely synced above 100Mbps before they died. Despite a lifetime warranty I abandoned them: life is too short!

-==-
DougM
Standard User gmoorc
(member) Fri 20-Jan-12 12:20:25
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

You need to ignore the sync rate. I never really worked out the relationship between that and real throughput. For a start you probably only have a fast ethernet (100Mbps) connection in them. I think the 200 figure is the theoretical combined duplex speed.

In my experience with Devolo kit you'll be doing well to get much more than 40Mbps real throughput on 200Mbps spec.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-12 13:08:54
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmoorc:
In my experience with Devolo kit you'll be doing well to get much more than 40Mbps real throughput on 200Mbps spec.

My experience with the Devolo 200Mbps connecting to each other at approx 100Mbps gave a throughput of just under 30Mbps.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to