General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(committed) Tue 24-Jan-12 18:48:28
Print Post

Quick question

[link to this post]

Will the new checker updates over the next weekend show availability for people who live too far away from a cabinet? i.e; will those who are below the 5Mbps threshold see availability for a product due to the new profile change?

Cabinet & exchange is enabled however too far away from cabinet.

Cheers!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Jan-12 18:53:26
Print Post

Re: Quick question

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

The extra frequencies are at a higher frequency so will make no difference to those on the longer cabinet to premises lines.

If there has been an error in the calculations this might get corrected, but it might introduce more new ones.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Jan-12 19:16:52
Print Post

What estimate do you get? I'm not certain but IIRC ADSL24 and Aquiss already have some customers on the 5Mbps product who had lower estimates. On the basis that if it didn't connect above 5Mbps it wouldn't be completed, similar to the 15Mbps one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Tue 24-Jan-12 19:19:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi guys,

I know that such companies will order a product which is below the FTTC 'threshold', but it isn't showing anything on the wholesale checker.

Before the cabinet was enabled, it showed I could get FTTC with 500Kbps down & 100Kbps up (or vice versa), however when it was enabled, it disappeared. Happened to a few other people.
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Tue 24-Jan-12 20:21:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

While the extra frequencies are not usable at long distances, the bandplan changes affect some of the lower frequencies - mainly in the 3-3.75MHz region.

Those changes are going to be useful to many longer distances.

However, the OP later mentions old speed estimates of below 1Mbps. I suspect that the distance involved for those speeds won't be able to benefit from the bandplan changes either.
(committed) Tue 24-Jan-12 21:22:00
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Hi there,

I'm currently receiving 5Mbps however? This wouldn't make a difference would it?

Cheers

Jack

Also - do you know when those changes go into effect?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Jan-12 22:16:46
Print Post

Please can we have the post code, and the cabinet number you believe you are on? So the percentage of lines can be checked. With a current 5Mbps it seems strange that the estimate is low or missing.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

(committed) Tue 24-Jan-12 22:21:07
Print Post

BT670ES & cabinet number 1.

Cheers!

Jack

(btw, I've checked the spreadsheet and it said 100% of lines on cabinet 1).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Jan-12 22:52:32
Print Post

Mild 4-letter word beginning with a letter of the alphabet. I was forgetting you are in NI.

I expect you've been through this loop before? I was too lazy to check back, but of course know your nick as well as you know mine smile.

Anyway, Phase 5a which I thought was complete long ago. Times 2.21 speed increase, which means you won't show up on the Infinity tester but should on the Wholesale one. Given your current connection speed, you should be able to get the 5Mbps estimate product from at least three suppliers, if you can get anyone to talk helpfully. ADSL24 and Aquiss spring to mind. Though even they may have trouble, as the ordering system may tell them to get lost. BT Option 3 with Fibre is another such, but I don't think they have humans there to talk to. Just script-monkeys.

Have you tried and failed to get anywhere with anyone?

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 24-Jan-12 22:53:03)

(committed) Wed 25-Jan-12 00:00:16
Print Post

Hi Roberto, yep! I'm the guy with the ping/latency issues a while ago... I remember you surely, thanks for all your help.

Yeah - I've been checking the wholesale checker for the past year now... not a thing showed up (and I don't know why I keep checking every day).

Have been to ADSL24, Aquiss and a few others & they said that if it isn't showing on the checker, they can't do anything.

Cheers

Jack
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to