General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User greatcapp
(experienced) Thu 26-Jan-12 14:14:50
Print Post

Too close to the Exchange?

[link to this post]

HI guys,

My exchange is due for upgrade to FTC over the next few months.

I live very close to the exchange ( it's at the end of my road, maybe 80 meters as the crow flies, or 100 meters by road), and currently, with Be, I get a 24 meg connection, sometimes, even 24.5, with a 1-1.3 upload.

The BT Wholesale website and the BT infinity website both suggest my phone number will be fine to get the Infinity service once it launches, but I'm sure I read somewhere, that you can be too close to the exchange? I don't know for sure, but I live on a new(ish) estate that went up about 3 years ago, and all the wiring is underground - no telegraph poles or anything. I don't see a cabinet around, so is it possible that my line comes out of the exchange and not via a cabinet?

If so, would that be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

TN

I Poke Badgers With Spoons
Standard User reddev86
(regular) Thu 26-Jan-12 14:36:14
Print Post

Re: Too close to the Exchange?

[re: greatcapp] [link to this post]

FTTC = Fibre to the Cabinet

So, yes you can be too close to the exchange, as if your line is fed directly from it and isn't served by a cabinet, you will not be able to receive FTTC.

If you've checked your number here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and it comes up that it will be available, then I guess you got lucky tongue

What is your postcode? The latest postcode to PCP spreadsheet would tell you for definite.

FTTC via Plusnet Fibre Extra Pro
DS: 39999 US: capped to 2000
NILN exchange - 550m from cabinet
Netgear WNR1000

Edited by reddev86 (Thu 26-Jan-12 14:38:36)

Standard User greatcapp
(experienced) Thu 26-Jan-12 15:20:16
Print Post

[re: reddev86] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, that site tells me:

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 17Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 34.4Mbps and upstream line speed of 12.3Mbps.

My postcode is NN9 6TT - where might I find the PCP spreadsheet?

There COULD be a cabinet - I'm really not sure, but I don't see one anywhere obvious. I just thought that as I was so close, my line might just come direct from the Exchange building?

***EDIT***

I found this:

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...

which seems to be a list of what's happening & where

and my postcode comes up with:

EMRANND RAUNDS NN96TT {EMRANND}{P16} 0 100% 2.28 7b YES FTTC

Any ideas?

Edited by greatcapp (Thu 26-Jan-12 15:36:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(learned) Thu 26-Jan-12 15:46:18
Print Post

If it shows you can have it then you can. The BT Wholesale checkers gets the information from Openreach so Openreach must have your line down as going through a cabinet. The exchange I'm on has a cabinet 100 metres from it serving the houses around it. Not all close properties are on exchange only lines smile
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 26-Jan-12 15:52:01
Print Post

Do not just look in the direction of the exchange ... go in all directions. As yours is new(ish) build you could be fed from a cabinet on another estate that has been there for a long time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User greatcapp
(experienced) Thu 26-Jan-12 16:01:10
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That could explain it maybe. There is a cabinet around 30-50 meters going the other way from the exchange. I just assumed my line might come straight out of the exchange itself.

Standard User F022Y
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-12 16:03:57
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Sorry to jump in and hijack but i think i'm trying to check the possiblity of FTTC for my house, i'm about 400 metres as the crow flys to the exchange. if i pop my number into http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome i get told:-

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 6.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 5.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 13Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7.5Mbps and 17.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 13Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 7.5Mbps and 17.5Mbps.

checked against the PCP which says:-

EASUD SUDBURY; SUFFOLK CO102RW {EASUD}{P3} 0 100% 2.77 8a Yes FTTC

so confused would the fact i have sky SVBN be the cause as exchange is supposed to go live 1/3/12.

Again sorry for the hijack
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Jan-12 16:04:05
Print Post

Looks fine. Cabinet 16 somewhere, and a speed mutiplier of 2.28 which looks correct for your line.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 26-Jan-12 16:05:10)

Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Jan-12 19:40:58
Print Post

You are on cab 16 as you've already found out and this cabinet is just past the exchange.

It's tucked away on Streather Court off Grove Street: http://g.co/maps/q32gb

So you're all good to go and not exchange line fed!

Hope this helps smile

James

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk

Edited by Adsl24 (Fri 27-Jan-12 19:44:09)

Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Sat 28-Jan-12 15:18:17
Print Post

[re: F022Y] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by F022Y:
Sorry to jump in and hijack but i think i'm trying to check the possiblity of FTTC for my house, i'm about 400 metres as the crow flys to the exchange. if i pop my number into http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome i get told:-

If that is *all* you get told, then either your line isn't due to get fibre, or the checker isn't reporting the fact. The latter might be because the checker doesn't know yet, or because the checker thinks that your speed on fibre will be below the threshold - which I believe is 5Mbps.

EASUD SUDBURY; SUFFOLK CO102RW {EASUD}{P3} 0 100% 2.77 8a Yes FTTC

That line means that 100% of lines within that postcode are served by cabinet 3 of the Sudbury exchange, and that the cabinet is included in the plan to get FTTC, but it doesn't give an idea of when. It also says that the speeds are expected to be 2.77 times higher than the current speeds.

The two are inconsistent, but it might only be because the checker's database doesn't hve the information yt, or because the cabinet is going to be later than the exchange.

If you're only 400 metres from the exchange, then you're probably getting pretty high speeds on ADSL2+, so the multiplier suggests you'll end up around 30-40Mbps. That, in turn, suggests you are within about 600 metres of cabinet 3.

exchange is supposed to go live 1/3/12.

That's their aim, then. Hope it all goes to plan, but be aware that it doesn't always.

i have sky

If your phone is supplied by Sky, then I'm wondering how the checker manages to work with your number. I guess it isn't LLU.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to