General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SignedAdam
(newbie) Sat 28-Jan-12 00:47:09
Print Post

Slow BT Infinity Option 2

[link to this post]

I have had lots of problems after upgrading to BT Infinity, slow speeds, i only get 1mbps download, but the results on here, say its 34mbps http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...

I've had 4 BT engineers round to are house, 1 to fit the BT open reach modem, and the others 3 to try and find out whats making my speed so slow, they have replaced all the cables around the house and out side the house to the poll which holds the wires, they have even tried replacing the modem and BT home hub 3, to no luck, they told me to ring up BT because i could be being caped, BT told me they had reset everything there end, which taken 48 hours, still that did not fix it, im still downloading files at just 1mbps,

heres a video of me running tests http://youtu.be/yAtFwclDbC8

I've downloaded test files from here, but they read at downloading at only a 1mbps highest 2mbps

About a hour ago from now, i had no net for about 30mins, all the lights were on, on the fibre modem, but the home hub internet light was showing no net, orange, have not checked the Verison number yet, this is the 1st disconnection ive had for about 3 weeks with bt, there just seems to be more and more problems, been trying to help BT fix this problem for 4 weeks now, im going crazy

A geek on his own
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Jan-12 00:56:56
Print Post

Re: Slow BT Infinity Option 2

[re: SignedAdam] [link to this post]

You are getting a variety of speeds, it seems 34Mbps for our tester (which is not HTTP) and from our HTTP 8 Mbps (Mega bits per second), based on looking at video and slower from Speedtest.net

A question, which speedtest.net server did you use, it makes a big difference, as some only have 100 Mbps to share amongst everyone who is testing at a specific time.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User SignedAdam
(newbie) Sat 28-Jan-12 01:20:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just did a test again with speedtest.net, now i know this cant be right because youtube, any site really, does not show speeds of 5502.0 kB/s, its a joke, really is crazy! even the BT guys dont know whats going on with it

1/28/2012 1:13 AM GMT 86.183.251.108 5502.0 kB/s 1032.8 kB/s 47 ms London ~ 100 mi
http://speedtest.net/result/1735096276.png

1/22/2012 2:19 PM GMT 86.160.230.221 1743.4 kB/s 1028.5 kB/s 40 ms London ~ 100 mi
http://speedtest.net/result/1723344314.png

A geek on his own

Edited by SignedAdam (Sat 28-Jan-12 01:26:34)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(learned) Sat 28-Jan-12 08:40:05
Print Post

The BT speedtester result you posted on your youtube video shows a download speed of 38 Megabits (mbps). This figure is what you'd expect from a FTTC connection that connects at 40meg.

When you download something from microsoft or on P2P clients the speeds you see are often displayed in Megabytes (MBps). Not the difference in the capital and lower case b. It's very important.

My guess would be that the speedtester.net is the problem. What kind of speeds do you get on www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk. In addition, is the connection wired or wireless?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Jan-12 09:16:14
Print Post

Are you running Windows XP?

What speed did you get before you had Infinity?

Are you testing wired or wireless?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 28-Jan-12 09:17:04)

Standard User vimto_girl
(regular) Sat 28-Jan-12 10:56:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are you running Windows XP?

What speed did you get before you had Infinity?

Are you testing wired or wireless?
Bob, it will be my pleasure to summarise the YouTube video for you:

It's titled "BT Infinity - The Real Story".
Being used are Vista or 7, a wired connection, and Chrome browser.
The video is to help decide whether YouTube viewers want to get BT Infinity or not; the poster does not think it's worth it.

Speedtest.net Norwich Server, Download Speed - 305.9kB/s Upload Speed - 849.0kB/s "Showing I am downloading at 3 Megabytes"

BT Speed Test Beta , Download Speed - 38.27Mbps "Another unusual result: Instead of being 3 Megabytes they're saying it's 38 Megabytes. Of course it can't be 38 Megabytes"

TBB 200MB file download, Download Speed reported by Chrome - 1000kBps "It says I'm downloading at 1 Megabyte"

If I were the OP, the first thing I would try is somebody else's laptop... but that's just me.
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Sat 28-Jan-12 18:27:12
Print Post

On that video, you are getting terribly mixed up in the units - in both converting from "kilo"-somethings into "mega"-somethings, and in confusing "bits" and "bytes".

That means you are getting confused between the different testers, and getting confused about what product you have been sold by BT.

In addition, you are getting capitalisation wrong when you write your descriptions on here - when that capitalisation makes some very important differences.

Some conversion factors:
- 8 bits (or "b") = 1 byte (or "B")
- 1,000 kilobits (or "Kb") = 1 megabit (or "Mb")

So in all of this, you need to understand that you have been sold an "up to 40Mbps" product - or 40 megabits. This will download at a maximum of around 37.5 Mbps (megabits), or about 4.5 megabytes per second. Maximum upload is about 8.5Mbps - or 8.5 megabits, or 1 megabyte.

So in the video:
- The first download speed shown is 305kBps - 300 kiloBytes, or 0.3 megaBytes, or 2.4 megabits. It is not "3 megabytes".
- The first upload speed show is 849kBps - 849 kilobytes, or 0.85megaBytes, or 6.8 megabits. It is not quite "8 megabytes".
- The second download (BT's beta test) is 38 Mbps - megabits per second, or 4.75 megabytes. It is not "38 megabytes".
- The third test (file download) seems to be 1,200 kBps or 1.2 megabytes, or nearly 10 megabits.

So you do seem to have some problems with download, but not always, and not in the way you think. The BT "beta" speedtest is giving the right result, and the "speedtest.net" upload speed seems to be pretty reasonable.

Your first port of call should be to check the non-beta BT speedtester, because the result of that shows the "IP Profile" value. That in turn lets us work out your sync speeds. Can you post the result of that on here?

Once we can see that, we'll know if there is a problem with your line or not, or if the problem lies elsewhere.
Standard User SignedAdam
(newbie) Sun 29-Jan-12 10:32:18
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I've found out I have version 1b, which has the over heating problem, I contacted BT, and asked them about the over heating problem, they said there was a problem, and asked what the version number was, i said 1b, and they said, we will send you a new one,

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4999-bt-to-replac...

i'll keep you all up to date with what happens

A geek on his own
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 06-Jun-12 08:05:56
Print Post

I'm downloading at 72M but uploads are not the 16m I was getting but consistently 2 - 3 M
  Print Thread

Jump to