General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rigatr0nforum
(newbie) Mon 30-Jan-12 18:25:38
Print Post

Plusnet Fibre info?

[link to this post]

Hey guys, I thinking about signing upto Plusnet Fibre Optic Broadband service and I wondered if anyone had any Broadband monitor snapshots from any area near Leeds/Bradford, Im in BD10 Part of Bradford, Im just interested to know what its like in this area before I get it, I've currently got Virgin 30Mbit Servers and I'd rather have aids. thanks in advance!
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 00:51:33
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Fibre info?

[re: Rigatr0nforum] [link to this post]

We just moved from Surrey to Harrogate - is that near enough? You can have a couple of BQM graphs to check out anyway. The two lines have the same IP address, so all the graphs get the one title - all have "Harrogate" written on them, but they aren't:

Last Monday: Harrogate (Mondays are usually the worst)
Last Saturday: Harrogate
Note: The odd 'tall' yellow spikes are when my Samknows box is running speed tests.

December: Surrey
Note - the many more spikes on this graph is from me running my own speed tests regularly, on top of the samknows ones.

June: Surrey
This graph has just the tests from the Samknows box.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 31-Jan-12 01:01:53
Print Post

Do you mean snapshots from Plusnet users, or any FTTC users in that area?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 31-Jan-12 01:05:05
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Who are you with please?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
(newbie) Tue 31-Jan-12 01:32:01
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Yeah Harrogate is not far from me, about 35 miles, Cheers for that, them Graphcs.. compared to what I have are amazing, I can't hope for better than this http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/93701c7b8f8... on my Virgin 30mbit Connex, Im still within my first 28 days so Im cancelling and getting Plusnet Fibre, n1 for reply mate.
(newbie) Tue 31-Jan-12 01:34:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Both would be great, I just basically looking to compare it to Virgin media in my area, and also on the off chance someone has Plusnet fibre in my area I'd get to see it and have a look, just probing for info rather than just getting it and hoping, but from what Ive seen, I imagine its going to be fine
(newbie) Tue 31-Jan-12 01:35:28
Print Post

Im currently with virgin, this forum confuses me lol
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 01:47:58
Print Post

Plusnet, on the "Extra Fibre" package.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 02:06:20
Print Post

Ugh <shudder>

There's a lot of Virgin covering Harrogate, but I deliberately chose fibre...

I'd got some hints (but nothing concrete) that the latency wasn't so great on Virgin - even if I went for a 30Mbps package - and could go bad pretty suddenly. I'd rather have a stable connection, than an unpredictable one, and didn't want to risk it.

Perhaps I've been lucky with my locations, but BT have always delivered broadband technology to me in a very timely way - utterly unlike NTL/Virgin. We live in a relatively new estate - that postdates the time when the cable companies ran out of money to rollout (having long ago ran out of nouse & never been particularly innovative). We might have been in NTL's home town, but they couldn't tell me whether they'd ever get around to adding cable (they never did). A frustrating experience, even before they came onto the broadband scene.

On here, BT get taken to task (by some) for not going for FTTP to every nook & cranny. But in this case, I believe they're giving us (two-thirds of the nation) a reasonable deal, and are trying to extend that well beyond the wit of the (cherry-picking) Virgins. I believe they deserve my business (via an ISP) much better than Virgin does.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 02:15:02
Print Post

Don't forget that Plusnet apply traffic management to their fibre connections more than their non-fibre connections. Even including browsing - though only for the peak evening hours.

Their page on download speeds is here

My Samknows box shows that the evening browsing speed is usually 22-24Mbps.

Having said all that, I haven't noticed traffic management get in the way of anything I'm doing - although I don't use P2P much.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to