General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Corbula
(member) Wed 01-Feb-12 14:56:45
Print Post

SKY FTTC - Where are people getting 2mb upload from?

[link to this post]

With the announcement of SKY FTTC a lot of people seem to be mentioning that the upload will be 2mb. Where is this coming from? It's doesn't mention anything about upload in the press release they made.

Also, is it the same as the LLU, i.e. you have to take the SKY line rental too, potentially making it difficult to move a way from?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 01-Feb-12 15:29:47
Print Post

Re: SKY FTTC - Where are people getting 2mb upload from?

[re: Corbula] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5004-sky-to-launc...
Standard User Daniel_g
(regular) Wed 01-Feb-12 15:34:46
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

No mention of it being 2Mbs on the orange Sky fibre link but ask andrew, must have came from somewhere!.

I had sky once but just was not watching it, mostly free to air and the 1 to 5 so normalk telly, the days of my sky, long gone but maybe again one day.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Feb-12 15:39:48
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

In the comments to the linked article Andrew says he is checking with them, then comes back with the answer. So presumably edited the article (yesterday).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Daniel_g
(regular) Wed 01-Feb-12 15:44:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hello Bob

Oops, did not know that, sure the facts where checked.
I read the artical the other day so a bit of a funny question I thought.

The sky piece is a bit poor as it does not say, or i missed and did read it twice before writting on here and not correct.

Just seen the comment, did not get down that far.

Edited by Daniel_g (Wed 01-Feb-12 15:46:10)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 01-Feb-12 16:00:24
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Sky are being very crafty, the want to advertise "unlimited and unmanged" packages but by only offering the 2Mb upload they are in fact managing their network by offering this product.

I have seen people on Sky support forums openly admit that they fileshare 2+ Terabytes a month.

Given that Sky has possibly attracted more than their share of heavy downloaders can you imagine the strain on their network if 40/10 and even 80/20 packages were released on day1?

Thier bandwidth bill would likely soar as well as major peak time slowdowns.

So will sky offer these other products for a premium prce or are just seeing for now how much extra use will people get out of their FTTC packages?

Only time will tell but I can see more network upgrades are going to be needed if they do.
Standard User Corbula
(member) Wed 01-Feb-12 16:12:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well seeing as it's not official i'm taking it with a pince of salt. To be honest the upload doesn't really bother me as i don't really upload anything. It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

I've been holding off getting FTTC because i wanted to see what Sky were going to do.

Does anyone think Sky FTTC will actually be any good?
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Feb-12 16:23:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Sky are being very crafty, the want to advertise "unlimited and unmanged" packages but by only offering the 2Mb upload they are in fact managing their network by offering this product.

I have seen people on Sky support forums openly admit that they fileshare 2+ Terabytes a month.

Given that Sky has possibly attracted more than their share of heavy downloaders can you imagine the strain on their network if 40/10 and even 80/20 packages were released on day1?

Thier bandwidth bill would likely soar as well as major peak time slowdowns.

So will sky offer these other products for a premium prce or are just seeing for now how much extra use will people get out of their FTTC packages?

Only time will tell but I can see more network upgrades are going to be needed if they do.
Actually, I think Sky know that content is king. They have massive content and with the imminent launch of allowing everyone to watch movies & TV episodes that are hosted on their network, keeping punters within the network will reduce their bandwidth costs, so offering FTTC is a very smart move, IMO.
Standard User Daniel_g
(regular) Wed 01-Feb-12 16:23:56
Print Post

Looking at the sky article it says

Usage Speed Fair use policy Cost per month with Sky TV, Sky Talk and line rental Cost per month without Sky TV Set-up costs for new customers

On Sky’s network
Sky Broadband Everyday Lite Up to 2gb per month Up to 20mb
No Free N/A None
Sky Broadband Unlimited Totally unlimited Up to 20mb No
£7.50 £10 with line rental and Sky Talk None if Sky TV customer
Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre Totally unlimited Up to 40mb No £20 N/A £50

Off Sky’s network

Lets hope you are right and it does not effect the BT FTTC, a bit mean but people doing that amount on my cabnet, no thank you. Mine goes at full speed and what will happen when it goes up to 80 on bt network or sky, who knows.

I have upto 40Gb a month and use 7 if luckly. Hope people don't take the pi** on any network and ruins the speed us light users get and pay our money.

Off the point to what you say.
Said £20 month and unlimited, mine is £18 with 40Gb limit and some trafic shaping, not sure what sky do by even if a bit but no limit the £20, very good.

OK other do the upto 10Mb upload, Bt was £28 I think when looking at this last may.
I went for the cheaper one but at £2 more sky seems good I think. Will it ruining the speeds at peak times, like you say mre money bought in for upgrades and all that, who knows.

I don't even have sky, just responded to the first posting as I read the answer. Surley this was spotted but maybe not.

I had sky basic package after the dreadfull on digital that became itv digital was expensive for what little you go in the way of channels down the ariel.

Now freeview and HD if had you analog turned off (like us in sept last year). I dropped that before it went tits up and got sky in 2000.

Don't have now. Back with a dish as got the posh 3d telly 13 months ago whe they where a con (£1600, not now) and have freesat and freeview HD. So doing a manual scan of other channels can bring up sky stuff and the encripted stuff and al the move channels, just can't see. of course.

No more sky, to dear for what little I used the channels, might as well get a freeview box that I did 5 years ago.
Money saved, sorted!.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Feb-12 17:54:35
Print Post

[re: Corbula] [link to this post]

I asked Sky directly, and got the 2 Mbps reply.

We do make a point of trying to provide some of the snippets that we know people will be asking.

Did also ask about the 40 to 80 uplifts, but it is a case of sit and wait to see what happens there.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to