General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User KayCee
(committed) Thu 02-Feb-12 09:57:55
Print Post

Slow down

[link to this post]

Morning all

has anyone else noticed a slow down , gone from roughly 33meg to 24meg over the past 3 days.

BT Infinity are my provider.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(member) Thu 02-Feb-12 11:16:02
Print Post

Re: Slow down

[re: KayCee] [link to this post]

Mine went up 3 days ago, from 14 to 16.8 , quite spooky to say its 3 lots of wet string between the cab and me
Standard User KayCee
(committed) Thu 02-Feb-12 22:12:11
Print Post

[re: bobbyboyuk] [link to this post]

Would this beta test result be consistant with fairly descent line stats ?

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
35512 Kbps

0 Kbps 38715 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

> Download speedachieved during the test was - 35512 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38715 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -38715 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
8139 Kbps

0 Kbps 10000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8139 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-Feb-12 22:33:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by KayCee:
Would this beta test result be consistant with fairly descent line stats ?
That's not the beta test. That's the full one smile.

It shows you are less than 700 metres from the cabinet, and that your ISP is providing a decent throughput.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(member) Thu 02-Feb-12 22:54:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS,

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It shows you are less than 700 metres from the cabinet, and that your ISP is providing a decent throughput.

From the 38715 K IP Profile, we can determine the sync speed is 39999 K (IP Profile = 96.79% of sync speed).

Throughput looks little low though as throughput (at quiet times) is usually around 97% of IP Profile, which would equate to approximately 37500 K.

How have you determined the distance from the cabinet as less than 700m?
i.e do you have a chart, or a formula for typical speed v distance?

I have been trying to track down & even compile my own chart for speed v distance without much success.
I appreciate it could only ever be approximate & would be very much dependent upon the physical characteristics of the D-side cabling, but a "typical" speed v distance chart would be most useful.

THe only charts I have managed to locate so far do not actually start off at 40Mb.

Paul.

EDIT:
35512 K looks a little like the Plusnet throughput where their own "Current Line Speed" is occasionally a little out of kilter with BT's IP Profiles.

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Thu 02-Feb-12 23:01:18)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-Feb-12 23:08:20
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:
From the 38715 K IP Profile, we can determine the sync speed is 39999 K (IP Profile = 96.79% of sync speed).
Agreed.
Throughput looks little low though as throughput (at quiet times) is usually around 97% of IP Profile, which would equate to approximately 37500 K.
I think you are thinking of Infinity? I haven't seen over 36500kbps on tbb, similar better on BT, slightly better as expected on speedtest.net. I usually run wirelessly, but those top figures are wired. I'm aiming to do a few wired ones, tbb and BT, over the next few days.
How have you determined the distance from the cabinet as less than 700m?
A guess from my own line where I know the D-side is excellent, at 600 metres, attenuation 17.3dB, SNRM 7.3dB on engineer installation test, and a couple of other 600 metre profile posts by others. Also Zarjaz has posted a few lines the length of lines he has connected that achieved 40Mbps, but they've just sunk into my subconscious. Maybe you could ask him?
do you have a chart, or a formula for typical speed v distance?
Nope, sorry. I posted about this a few days ago and got a couple of helpful replies, but not had chance to follow it up. Forgot, if the truth be told tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Fri 03-Feb-12 01:07:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:
I think you are thinking of Infinity? I haven't seen over 36500kbps on tbb, similar better on BT, slightly better as expected on speedtest.net.

Speedtest.net will give me 37.5Mbps when I have a "fast" PPP session, and 35 Mbps when I have a "slow" one (sync always 39999).

BT's speedtester is rather more variable, and usually comes out to be 2-3Mbps below this figure - so 32-33 when "slow" and 34-35 when "fast". It is hard to retry this one easily because of the 1 hour limit.

Edited by WWWombat (Fri 03-Feb-12 01:07:40)

Standard User hareng
(learned) Fri 03-Feb-12 01:07:41
Print Post

Do you mean short or for long periods?

Ive been reporting routing and slow speeds for months, now getting the reply use BT checker wich has time limits between being able to use.
Clicky
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(member) Fri 03-Feb-12 06:05:13
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

@WWWombat,

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
BT's speedtester is rather more variable, and usually comes out to be 2-3Mbps below this figure - so 32-33 when "slow" and 34-35 when "fast". It is hard to retry this one easily because of the 1 hour limit.

It was actually some of your & other members previous posts in the Plusnet forum that I was thinking of when I mentioned the 37.5Mb.

I had forgotten about the BT speed test always being 2Mb or so more pessimistic than speedtest.net on my own connection - I have even posted mentioning that alsewhere - Doh!!!

@ RobertoS,

Zarjaz has previously mentioned he has seen the full 40Mb on a 1000m line (maybe that was an exceptionally good D-side), but also as low as 16Mb on a 1000m line (maybe that one included a substantial amount of aluminium cabling).

Paul.
Standard User KayCee
(committed) Fri 03-Feb-12 09:58:25
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

Thank you for the reponse and analysis.

When I have tried a Newsgroup download I get the correct throughput of around 4.5mb per second , but if I use the Speedtester.net site I get :

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1748814578.png

Its not a big deal and the speed I get is more than usable , just something I have noticed in the last 4 or 5 days.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to