General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 02-Feb-12 15:26:57
Print Post

fibre on a long line?

[link to this post]

my line has only ever achieved 2mb with an adsl connection, fibre is now avilable on our exchange and the initial online checks say we are able to achieve 15+mb, is this really possible on a long line or is the online checker inacurate?

many thanks
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Feb-12 15:29:15
Print Post

Re: fibre on a long line?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
my line has only ever achieved 2mb with an adsl connection, fibre is now avilable on our exchange and the initial online checks say we are able to achieve 15+mb, is this really possible on a long line or is the online checker inacurate?
It's very possible. The equipment that used to be a long way away (inside the exchange) has been replaced by better equipment a lot closer to you (a roadside cabinet). Well - not replaced as such because the old equipment is still in the exchange and still in use but should you choose to upgrade your line will be jumpered across to the new cabinet from your current cabinet.

The new cabinet is connected to the exchange by fibre so can be any distance really. In fact my new cabinet is connected to a different exchange - one that's over 12 miles away.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Thu 02-Feb-12 15:35:01)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 02-Feb-12 15:35:12
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Are the online speed estimations for FTTC usual accurate? and would it tell me based on my telephone number if I was unable to get FTTC?

man thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-12 15:37:53
Print Post

I would say the FTTC estimates are usually under estimates.

It is best to check using a telephone number, as a postcode can have some properties in it that are not served by that cabinet.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User James1o1o
(newbie) Thu 02-Feb-12 15:38:45
Print Post

Yeah I would say it is wrong, your speed will probably be much higher than it says!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 02-Feb-12 15:40:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks for the answers, finally what is the best isp to go with at the moment for FTTC? price/allowance.
Standard User ccxo
(member) Thu 02-Feb-12 16:02:55
Print Post

Theres quite a selection to choose from, Robertos site list all the suppliers that provide a FTTC service with links to their pricing.

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/isps_offering_fttc.html

As to who is best, it all depends how much you are willing to pay.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User philippercival
(committed) Thu 02-Feb-12 16:14:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
thanks for the answers, finally what is the best isp to go with at the moment for FTTC? price/allowance.

Someone has an excellent spreadsheet on here with lots of options.

Plusnet Value is fairly cheap at about UKP16.50 per month got 40GB in peak times. The limitations on that are that:
8:00 am -12:00am is peak time 7days a week, i.e. weekends are the same as weekdays.
One the value package the limit your speeds for quite a lot of the day for some sorts of traffic.
see Broadband Download Speeds and traffic management.

Note the 40Gb includes both downloads and uploads. I found I used a great deal more than I thought I would.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Thu 02-Feb-12 16:26:44
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Yes, I thought 40GB would be enough, then I got an Internet radio and two Freeview HD boxes with iPlayer and that theory kind of evaporated, but 120GB is still enough and it's only an extra £5. Yet another £5 will free you from most of the traffic management and give you full line speed at all times. Overall Plusnet FTTC has been great, apart from their monumental traffic management cock-up this morning, but that's another story!

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Standard User Moradin
(regular) Thu 02-Feb-12 19:04:45
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

The link mentioned above is here: -

Fibre Deals

Kindly set up and maintained by Forum members Orly and Yarwell.

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to