General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mark19
(newbie) Thu 02-Feb-12 16:42:07
Print Post

Some questions about Fibre and ADSL

[link to this post]

Hello,

I am currently getting a maximum speed of about 0.5 mbps. I live in a small village in Cornwall, a few miles from my exchange at Stithians.
21CN WBC was supposedly installed on 31st January (according to Samknows), but the date is still listed on there. There are also no LLU provides so everything goes through BT's equipment. (We are with Talktalk).

Also the exchange is suppose to start getting FTTC by March. So I was wondering, Will my ADSL speed of 0.5 mbps be improved once 21CN WBC is enabled?
Once fibre does come to the cabinet will the ADSL connections be switched to the new network, or stay on the slow ADSL network?

Thanks,
Mark
Standard User ccxo
(member) Thu 02-Feb-12 16:54:44
Print Post

Re: Some questions about Fibre and ADSL

[re: Mark19] [link to this post]

Hi there, with 0.5 connection is that the max that you're line can support atm? If you post youre line stats we can see if you are getting the max speed.

If you enter you're BT number below into the wholesale checker and post the reply should be able to see what you will get with 21CN and FTTC, FTTC estimates are lower then what they are.

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/B...

For a 0.5 connection you're line must be very long so 21CN WBC will not have an improvement on youre line, however FTTC should if you're cabinet is upgraded.
Asdl connections will stay on the copper netowrk you have to upgrade to a fibre package which is not much more then most asdl packages.

What is you're postcode as we can use it to check against the December list to see if you're cabinet is due to be upgraded.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Feb-12 16:55:35
Print Post

With such a low ADSL speed, 21CN WBC will do nothing for you, unless there is something amiss with your wiring that can be improved. Post your router stats.

You will never be switched to FTTC unless you buy it when it comes.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mark19
(newbie) Thu 02-Feb-12 17:03:39
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Here are the stats from my router:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 53.0 db 30.0 db
Noise Margin 23.8 db 21.0 db

For Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxx on Exchange STITHIANS

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 4Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest.

Results are lower if I use the postcode one.

My postcode is TR13 0DZ
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Feb-12 17:11:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mark19:
You should be getting about 4 Meg Down and 448 kbps Up.

Have you plugged into test socket behind faceplate of master? Removed ring wire? Swapped filter? What extensions have you?

You still won't benefit from 21CN WBC ADSL2+ but could from ADSL2 only.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-12 17:14:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Even with the existing 20CN hardware the original poster can go faster, it appears they are on a fixed 1Mbps speed package.

Who is the ISP? Many dont upgrade automatically to WBC once available, and looks like you are with one that is happy to leave you on a very old package

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Feb-12 17:16:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I thought I said that!

Standard User Mark19
(newbie) Thu 02-Feb-12 17:24:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by Mark19:
You should be getting about 4 Meg Down and 448 kbps Up.

Have you plugged into test socket behind faceplate of master? Removed ring wire? Swapped filter? What extensions have you?

You still won't benefit from 21CN WBC ADSL2+ but could from ADSL2 only.

I haven't tried the test socket yet. The bell wire has been removed, I have tried different filters. I am also using the master socket, and have a small extension from the filter to the router, but receive the same speed with this removed, and I am using the dsl wire the router came with.

My ISP is talktalk.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Feb-12 17:32:16
Print Post

I meant phone extension sockets?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-12 17:37:30
Print Post

You did sort of, but missed out the 'they may be on a fixed 1Meg product' bit, which is not uncommon for off-net TalkTalk

The large spare margins suggest its not a wiring issue, more an upgrade needed from IPStream 1000 or worse (Datastream1000) to IPStream Max.

Don't think TalkTalk bother with WBC at exchanges they've not unbundled. Their continued roll-out frees up the capacity to avoid having to expand their IPStream capacity, or maybe even reduce it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk

Edited by MrSaffron (Thu 02-Feb-12 17:39:04)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to