General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gazter
(regular) Sat 07-Jul-12 08:21:20
Print Post

Re: FTTC in Carlisle begins its rollout

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Many thanks for the info. We're served by the Carlisle exchange but I guess we'll have to wait for the Connecting Cumbria project to get moving to obtain speeds much above our present 2Mbps. We could have a long wait !

The connecting Cumbria will *not* be interfering in any way with the carlisle exchange... I think it is legally forbidden from getting involved with market 1 exchanges.
Standard User omnius
(learned) Sat 07-Jul-12 08:53:42
Print Post

[re: gazter] [link to this post]

Isnt carlisle market 3?

What is the OFCOM market classification?

In May 2008 Ofcom announced that they would be deregulating 70% of the UK's broadband market. The full 115 page document outlining the reasoning and methodology can be found here (Mirrored here).

Within this document Ofcom has defined four classifications to be applied to exchange areas (see page 32). These are:

•Market 1 - Exchanges where the incumbent operator (BT Wholesale) is the only provider of broadband services
•Market 2 - Exchanges where two or three operators provided broadband services (including BT)
•Market 3 - Exchanges where four or more operators provided broadband services
•Hull area - Exchanges in Hull are served only by KC (Kingston)

The Market 3 exchanges are the ones that the deregulation applies to. Ofcom deemed that there was sufficient competition in these areas to keep prices at a reasonable level whilst also driving innovation.

---------------------------

I live for the one, I die for the one.
Yep i really am THAT thick!

Smallworld Cable ..... 5Meg then upped to 20Meg
O2 ADSL2+ .... 13.6Meg (ish)
Sky ADSL2+ .... 3.5Meg
Sky FTTC .... Well when it gets here and considering i can see the site for the cab from my bedroom window im expecting the full 40meg

Edited by omnius (Sat 07-Jul-12 09:17:08)

Standard User gazter
(regular) Sat 07-Jul-12 11:08:41
Print Post

[re: omnius] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by omnius:
Isnt carlisle market 3?

What is the OFCOM market classification?

In May 2008 Ofcom announced that they would be deregulating 70% of the UK's broadband market. The full 115 page document outlining the reasoning and methodology can be found here (Mirrored here).

Within this document Ofcom has defined four classifications to be applied to exchange areas (see page 32). These are:

•Market 1 - Exchanges where the incumbent operator (BT Wholesale) is the only provider of broadband services
•Market 2 - Exchanges where two or three operators provided broadband services (including BT)
•Market 3 - Exchanges where four or more operators provided broadband services
•Hull area - Exchanges in Hull are served only by KC (Kingston)

The Market 3 exchanges are the ones that the deregulation applies to. Ofcom deemed that there was sufficient competition in these areas to keep prices at a reasonable level whilst also driving innovation.

You are right, i meant market three, unregulated. You hit a lot of sticky issues around unlawful state aid etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Jul-12 11:53:42
Print Post

So if BT won't upgrade the cabinet and Connecting Cumbria can't touch it sounds like we're stuffed ?
Standard User gazter
(regular) Sat 07-Jul-12 16:34:18
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

So if BT won't upgrade the cabinet and Connecting Cumbria can't touch it sounds like we're stuffed ?

Yes, until BT come round for a second go at upgrades.
Standard User omnius
(learned) Sat 07-Jul-12 17:45:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by gazter:

On the plus side if your getting 2 meg your doing very well, your wireing must be almost direct to exchange. My mum carnt even get 1 meg at sandsfield park so god only knows where her wireing go's to, or what state its all in.

Sky ADSL2+ .... 3.5Meg
Sky FTTC .... Well when it gets here and considering i can see the site for the cab from my bedroom window im expecting the full 40meg
Standard User gazter
(regular) Sat 07-Jul-12 22:23:23
Print Post

[re: omnius] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by omnius:

On the plus side if your getting 2 meg your doing very well, your wireing must be almost direct to exchange. My mum carnt even get 1 meg at sandsfield park so god only knows where her wireing go's to, or what state its all in.

You have checked her connection speed at the test socket?
Standard User mrmicp
(newbie) Mon 09-Jul-12 09:22:48
Print Post

[re: mrmicp] [link to this post]

Okay 151 has now been upgraded smile quite sad at how exicted I was to see the new cab.....can't say my wife shared the same level of enthusiasm though wink
Standard User gazter
(regular) Mon 09-Jul-12 21:44:41
Print Post

[re: mrmicp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrmicp:
Okay 151 has now been upgraded smile quite sad at how exicted I was to see the new cab.....can't say my wife shared the same level of enthusiasm though wink

Women just dont understand, do they?
Standard User omnius
(learned) Tue 10-Jul-12 17:34:53
Print Post

You have checked her connection speed at the test socket?

Sorry ive been away a few days, yes it was one of the first things i did when we tryied the service back then (from breathe i think it was), with the help of a very skilled cust service person we found out there was a lot on noise on the line but i couldnt tell you the figures now as it was years ago.

While we can not be sure (and openreach wont say) because of where she is on the estate and the most likey path the cables would follow back to the exchange we belive that it go's within very close proximity to two sub stations. One on the estate and the other on orton road.

Sky ADSL2+ .... 3.5Meg
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to