General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gazter
(learned) Wed 23-May-12 18:22:50
Print Post

Re: FTTC in Carlisle begins its rollout

[re: omnius] [link to this post]

Only one P62, just looked it up, yes its getting done. Your cabinet must have some utterly awful average download speeds, the spreadsheet estimates the speed increase as being 32x your current line speed (and this was before the doubling to 80mb announcement).
Standard User omnius
(newbie) Wed 23-May-12 19:14:48
Print Post

[re: gazter] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gazter:
Only one P62, just looked it up, yes its getting done. Your cabinet must have some utterly awful average download speeds, the spreadsheet estimates the speed increase as being 32x your current line speed (and this was before the doubling to 80mb announcement).

Yep when i lived at home b4 omne cabled up the estate i was getting a whopping........ wait for it......... 400k adsl, the current speed testers say

For Telephone Number 01228****** on Exchange CARLISLE

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

with both my youngest brother (17) and my sister (15) still at home shes really looking forward to it (i left her with my old 20meg cable connection (18.7 throput) when i moved out)

---------------------------

I live for the one, I die for the one.
Yep i really am THAT thick

Edited by omnius (Wed 23-May-12 19:56:08)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 24-May-12 18:45:08
Print Post

Smallworld? wink

Just found the link I was referring to before it was an outdated BT Business infinity map. Lets hope infinity gets enabled asap for all us that have a cab waiting ( Such as me at five road ends wink ). But would TalkCrap or Sky be the best?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User omnius
(newbie) Thu 24-May-12 19:09:38
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

When it was fitted it was omne (still have one of there email address's), then wightcablenorth took it over when it when bust and now its known as smallworld. im still to this day mildly surprised virgin havnt shown a intrest in it when it was up for sale those two times

Standard User gazter
(learned) Thu 24-May-12 19:48:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by omnius:
When it was fitted it was omne (still have one of there email address's), then wightcablenorth took it over when it when bust and now its known as smallworld. im still to this day mildly surprised virgin havnt shown a intrest in it when it was up for sale those two times

I doubt it is a very profitable enterprise. Their takeup is extremely low, their coverage is ridiculously small, though those who use them say the speed can be pretty good on their top packages and they dont meter or shape traffic. I suspect it can only possibly break even because its capital costs got written off when it went bust.

In the decade or more that Smallworld have been in carlisle their footprint has not extended a single house beyond their original work. They dont even seem to have the wit to liaise with the big builders and get new builds all cabled up.

People are lazy and governed by inertia. If thye cabled up a new estate, they would get close to 100% levels of subscribers and keep all but the most determined.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 24-May-12 21:35:35
Print Post

Well I work the computer shop on port road and Small world covers the two places next door to us but refused to offer us fibre so we gave up with them.

Jamie
Standard User gazter
(learned) Fri 25-May-12 22:25:36
Print Post

Re: FTTC in Carlisle begins its rollout *update*

Carlisle numbers are now coming up on the Talktalk FTTC checker with estimated speeds:

https://sales.talktalk.co.uk/products/broadband/fibr...
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-May-12 19:05:53
Print Post

They have been showing for the last two months a speed but according to ADSL24 its just estimated for the postcode to what Talktalk think we will get. I agree with them as I had an estimated speed before my cab was installed.

Jamie
(I really need to get my tb account back)
Standard User jamieearl
(newbie) Sun 27-May-12 19:11:13
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Got an account now,
Already getting Talktalk on the phone to get connected as they seem the best out of BT and Sky for fttc for unlimited usage and low price. Just wonder what their speeds are like...

ADSL24 soon to be Talktalk FTTC
Standard User omnius
(newbie) Sun 27-May-12 20:03:30
Print Post

[re: jamieearl] [link to this post]

True but there customer service is <insert very nasty crude word here> and for me cust service is everything especialy when you have problems, im planning on staying with sky for the simple reasion that i had install probs with both my last houses and they bent over backwards to help........ plus also is 10/'20 meg upload REALLY nessary unless you do a hell of a lot of cloud/server work??

mental note: dont jinks it now..............

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to