General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User KJO
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 11:26:46
Print Post

Worcester 01905 St Peters - FTTC Availability

[link to this post]

Worcester St Peters is an FTTC enabled exchange, but we seem to be in a FTTC blackspot - using the BT postcode checker for WR5 3SN shows no FTTC,
but post codes for all of the streets surrounding us do show FTTC availability. Our Close contains about 8 houses, none of whom have BT lines so I can't use the number checker.
Can anyone shed any light on why a clutch of 8 houses would be in a FTTC black hole, or tell me which cabinet WR5 3SN connects to ?
Standard User GaryPower
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 11:44:14
Print Post

Re: Worcester 01905 St Peters - FTTC Availability

[re: KJO] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by KJO:
Worcester St Peters is an FTTC enabled exchange, but we seem to be in a FTTC blackspot - using the BT postcode checker for WR5 3SN shows no FTTC,
but post codes for all of the streets surrounding us do show FTTC availability. Our Close contains about 8 houses, none of whom have BT lines so I can't use the number checker.
Can anyone shed any light on why a clutch of 8 houses would be in a FTTC black hole, or tell me which cabinet WR5 3SN connects to ?

WMSTP WORCESTER ST.PETERS WR53SN {WMSTP}{P22} 0 100% 15.99 5b Yes FTTC

Probably a post code checker error on the database, looks like you are on PCP 22 and it is enabled.
Standard User kitcat
(regular) Thu 09-Feb-12 12:50:13
Print Post

[re: GaryPower] [link to this post]

If no-one in the postcode has a BT line (ie all CATV) the records will not show any detail as BT systems will have no knowledge of the postcode. They can only give details of uplift % covered etc when they have some coverage.

Someone will have to order a line to find out.

I would expect the new lines to be run from the same cab so you will get FTTC. Someone may have to have a pole put up if the developer didn't provide ducting.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Justo
(regular) Thu 09-Feb-12 12:56:19
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

I assume he means they don't have a BT provided line i.e. all with other providers/ISPs.

What do the checkers of other ISPs say for the lines (they all feed off the same data)?
Standard User KJO
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 13:25:55
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

Hi all

thanks for the replies.

I'd wondered if it was a post code checker error, and maybe because no-one in the close does have a BT line. To clarify, we've all moved (independently and over the years) from BT to other providers for telephone and ADSL, there's a few on Sky (me included) and Tiscali but no BT. We don't have the option of CATV here.

As suggested I've just tried TalkTalk (who I didn't realise now offer FTTC) checker with a neighbours number (who is on TalkTalk) and that's a positive. I enter my number (Sky) and I'm asked for my postcode, which returns a negative.

So that does suggest that it's an error on the database, so I either now wait for Sky to offer FTTC, or try calling BT or Talk Talk again. Last time I tried BT, I couldn't get past the Agent in the Call Centre, as she insisted that FTTC was not available, presumably because she was using the same database.

Thanks
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Thu 09-Feb-12 16:47:51
Print Post

[re: KJO] [link to this post]

Don't forget that there are lots of other ISPs that supply FTTC using the BT Wholesale products - Infinity is only BT retail's offering. If you try them, you might get a more sympathetic agent.

For example, I'm with Plusnet, but you'll see posts on here from people with Aquiss and Adsl24 at least.

Someone has a link in their .signature to a comparison of ISPs, but I can't remember who.
Standard User kitcat
(regular) Thu 09-Feb-12 16:58:35
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

The BT Retail agent cannot see your line as it is with Sky LLU, you would have to migrate to a different provider and get the line reverted to a supplier using BT. This can sometimes be a problem.

If your neighbour on TalkTalk can get FTTC you will also be able to. Just have to choose a provider and get the line transferred from Sky for both Voice and BB.

This is a messy process and may cause you to lose BB service for a period of time, in therory it is possible to have a joint provide at the same time but has to be ordered that way up front and doesn't always succeed.
  Print Thread

Jump to