General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User vfranchetti
(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-12 21:53:18
Print Post

Cabinet Upgrade

[link to this post]

Hi,

Could someone with a bit of know how find out when my cabinet might get upgraded? My postcode is G77 5ED.

Thanks in advance
Standard User mikecrawford80
(member) Fri 10-Feb-12 22:07:26
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Upgrade

[re: vfranchetti] [link to this post]

Hi,

Your post code does not seem to show on the December 2012 PCP spreadsheet here;

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...

Are you Newton Mearns? if so, it looks like partial FTTC is already up and running, for some reason your cabinet is not showing for upgrade yet, but it may come up for upgrade in the future.

My exchange (Dunfermline) had some cabinets installed in phase 4a, some in 6a and now some new upgrades are to happen with phase 9b.

Plusnet Extra Fibre (with PRO add-on)
My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 11-Feb-12 00:40:58
Print Post

You don't seem to be on a cabinet. That postcode is fed direct from the exchange so cannot have FTTC frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 11-Feb-12 00:41:27)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sat 11-Feb-12 12:52:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I don't know how the phone lines work however I would have thought I would be to far away (1.6km) from exchange to be directly connected to it.

I phoned BT and they say June 30th but I felt they were just saying that so I would not go with Virgin.

Thanks for the replies.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 11-Feb-12 14:15:43
Print Post

I don't know how BT makes its decisions, or at least made them in the past. However, I suspect that the choice for a direct exchange line is not made on distance per se, but on a question of density out in that direction from the exchange.

I understand that the design of having cabinets dates back to post-WWII - so any decisions about what type of wiring layout dates back to decisions being made then.

I guess if you are on a sparsely-populated area, where most houses lie in a 1-dimensional line (long a road) from the exchange, then direct-exchange wiring happens. If there is a 2-dimensional spread of properties, then a cabinet gets involved, allowing the cross-connection of a number of smaller cable bundles.

That's speculation though...
Standard User lee111s
(learned) Sat 11-Feb-12 15:16:44
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I know of customers with lines that are >4Km long and are direct exchange lines with no cabs.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 11-Feb-12 21:35:58
Print Post

WSNEW	GLASGOW NEWTON MEARN	G775ED	{WSNEW}{M_F}	1	100%

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

(newbie) Sat 11-Feb-12 23:11:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Thanks for this info, I could not find this in the spreadsheet. Am I correct in saying this means I am connected directly to the exchange?

If so does that mean I will never get faster broadband?

I have just bought this house in a worn down state and can't actually find any incoming bt line. Looked under floors and in the loft. Previous owner had Virgin I think. BT have told me there is a line in the house somewhere and are sending an engineer out next week, what happens if they don't find the incoming bt line?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 11-Feb-12 23:32:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by vfranchetti:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Thanks for this info, I could not find this in the spreadsheet. Am I correct in saying this means I am connected directly to the exchange?
Yes. That's what I said earlier but you seemed to doubt it tongue. It is from the original csvs that included the exchange-only data, which the multi-page fusion PCP document created from them does not.
If so does that mean I will never get faster broadband?
Many people here think you may in time get FTTP, but I don't know an what basis they say that. It may just be something that has been repeated so often it becomes accepted.
I have just bought this house in a worn down state and can't actually find any incoming bt line. Looked under floors and in the loft. Previous owner had Virgin I think. BT have told me there is a line in the house somewhere and are sending an engineer out next week, what happens if they don't find the incoming bt line?
I'd lay odds they will find it.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Feb-12 23:34:34
Print Post

The FTTP on demand offers one possibility, i.e. back wire from a cabinet further down the road, or will cover EOL.

Cornwall is the place to watch for trials and developments

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to