General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Northwind
(learned) Tue 14-Feb-12 09:22:38
Print Post

Couple of updates for FTTC providers spreadsheet

[link to this post]

Hello,

Thanks to all the folk who have constructed the big FTTC providers spreadsheet. I have a couple of updates, if it is still being actively maintained.

1. AAISP's 2-units package prices without and with Premium are now £30 and £42, inclusive of VAT. Per their prices page.
2. None of the prices listed for Goscomb's packages include VAT, not even the retail packages.
3. Goscomb's data transfer allowances include upload, so we can enter a "No" in the "Unmetered Uploads" column.

Hope that's useful,

--
Goscomb ( BE Wholesale ), Exchange NINTS
Standard User Northwind
(learned) Wed 15-Feb-12 11:23:22
Print Post

Re: Couple of updates for FTTC providers spreadsheet

[re: Northwind] [link to this post]

I'm still picking through this sheet to try and find a suitable FTTC provider.

Some suggestions for additions to the sheet:

1. IPv6 support
So far I've only identified AAISP, Goscomb, IDNet and Web Tapestry as assigning /48s on their FTTC packages. Still no response from ADSL24...

2. GEA + backhaul vs WBC
I think that only Talk Talk have implemented GEA with their own backhaul, but which ISPs resell that? Uno / Xilo?

Thanks,

--
Goscomb ( BE Wholesale ), Exchange NINTS
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 15-Feb-12 13:26:14
Print Post

Just a minor point of info.

WBC uses GEA to get your fibre connection onto their MSAN and so into their backhaul. Sky will be doing the same for now, into their backhaul of course.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Wed 15-Feb-12 13:40:33
Print Post

Still nothing about traffic shaping. I doubt BT's biggest fan will add it any time soon.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Feb-12 14:57:49
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Feel free to explain how anyone would fit those sorts of details into a spreadsheet without it being enormous.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Feb-12 15:06:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Northwind:
Hello,

Thanks to all the folk who have constructed the big FTTC providers spreadsheet. I have a couple of updates, if it is still being actively maintained.

1. AAISP's 2-units package prices without and with Premium are now £30 and £42, inclusive of VAT. Per their prices page.
2. None of the prices listed for Goscomb's packages include VAT, not even the retail packages.
3. Goscomb's data transfer allowances include upload, so we can enter a "No" in the "Unmetered Uploads" column.

Hope that's useful,

Yes it is being maintained. I try to keep an eye on it and check the ISPs from time to time but it's hard to catch every change. I appreciate when people make threads like this or send me a private message when I've missed stuff.

1. Are you sure? I might be the only one who finds AAISP's pricing incredibly complicated but I don't believe the prices you have given are accurate.

2. Fixed.

3. Fixed. When I tried to find out about uploads I couldn't see anything obvious on their site. I'll trust your direction as you seem to be a user.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 15-Feb-12 16:06:53
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

Thanks orly!

The AAISP prices are the ones their calculator spat-out at me this week. I think they were rounded-up last November. But as you say AAISP prices are like quantum particles, you can never know exactly where they are AND what they are at the same time.

As for Goscomb counting uploads in the total traffic; yes, I am a customer and I also pinged them earlier this week to check that they have the same policy for FTTC. Sadly, yes...
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Feb-12 16:52:50
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The £30 listed is ex vat = £36 inc VAT

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
5.66Mb/s - 0.75Mb/s - 42ms
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1526709410.png
Standard User gmoorc
(member) Wed 15-Feb-12 17:28:14
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

It says the prices include VAT at the bottom of the page.
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Feb-12 21:49:44
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

So it does - I read the hovver which read "price based on vat exclusive amount" and misunderstood. This clears it up:

"Some of the prices on the web site are prices based on a VAT exclusive price. This means that if the VAT rate should change then the VAT exclusive price does not change.

For example, if we say something is £10.00 exclusive VAT and this is based on a VAT exclusive price then if there is a VAT rate change then the price remains £10.00 exclusive VAT.

If you are a VAT registered customer the effect would be no change to the amount you ultimately pay as you can reclaim the VAT at the prevailing rate. For example at 17.5% the above is £10.00+£1.75 VAT making £11.75, and at 15% the above would be £10.00+£1.50 VAT making £11.50.

Where we quote a price on the web site that is VAT inclusive but is based on a VAT exclusive price we have a link to this page next to the price to make it clear that the price quoted is based on the VAT exclusive price and the prevailing VAT rate and so would change in the event of a VAT rate change"

:-/

So the price IS £30.

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
5.66Mb/s - 0.75Mb/s - 42ms
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1526709410.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to