General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
ISP Representative Dreynolds
(isp) Tue 14-Feb-12 12:42:24
Print Post

FTTC Cabinet Checker

[link to this post]

Hi,

I hope someone can help me out, I can see using various tools which exchanges are enabled for FTTC services. Are there anyways to check which cabinets have the service?

Many Thanks

Dave

Regards,

Dave
Pre Sales
Intercity
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Feb-12 13:12:46
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Checker

[re: Dreynolds] [link to this post]

Providers should have access to more information, as Openreach provide it to the wholesalers.

One ISP did a public cabinet checker, but Openreach requested it removed.

The BT Wholesale checker is publically available, and given a phone number of a property, gives a very good amount of feeback. Accuracy is reduced with a postcode, as a postcode can be served by two or more cabinets.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User _Sin
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-12 17:32:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Accuracy is reduced with a postcode, as a postcode can be served by two or more cabinets.

It's worse than that. Even if 100% of a postcode is served by one cabinet, the checker can show a positive for a postcode when not a single line in that postcode or any other served by the cabinet is planned to be enabled.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Feb-12 20:26:53
Print Post

[re: _Sin] [link to this post]

Its even worse than that sometimes. I've see postcodes show FTTC available when on a cab thats 100% coverage and no planned FTTC. E.g. the postcode check seems to just go off whether the exchange is live, and disregards the actual property/cab

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User Croftie
(member) Thu 16-Feb-12 23:25:47
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

What does it mean if your cab is live and you have fttc but your postcode doesn't mention fttc anymore? Full cab/awaiting new line card?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 16-Feb-12 23:27:19
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
Its even worse than that sometimes. I've see postcodes show FTTC available when on a cab thats 100% coverage and no planned FTTC. E.g. the postcode check seems to just go off whether the exchange is live, and disregards the actual property/cab
And if national coverage in terms of percentage of homes just happened to be based on post codes covered ....

[cough]

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to