General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mkel78
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-12 13:55:29
Print Post

FTTC March Roll Out Confusion

[link to this post]

I hope somebody might be able to shed some light on this :

My exchange FILTON will roll out FTTC in March. All the checkers say it's not available for me and will not be available anytime soon.

I have just got hold of a copy of the PCP mapping document and I searched on my postcode and no roll out is scheduled.

So I look at part 2 of the doc and do another search, my postcode is listed on a neighbouring exchange and will be FTTC enabled in march?!!

Now I'm thinking is this a mistake? Do I need to query this? is it possible to be moved to a different exchange if the exchange is physically closer?

Anybody have a simmilar experience?

Cheers,

Matt
Standard User panda
(committed) Wed 15-Feb-12 14:17:38
Print Post

Re: FTTC March Roll Out Confusion

[re: mkel78] [link to this post]

It's not a mistake.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Feb-12 15:39:48
Print Post

[re: panda] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by panda:
It's not a mistake.
Although it sometimes changes.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 16-Feb-12 01:25:14
Print Post

[re: mkel78] [link to this post]

Ummmm no!

As the others have said, the FTTC cabinet that is attached to yours can be fed from a different exchange. Your phone line continues to go through the existing cabinet to the current exchange.

However, the spreadsheet (probably) does not say your postcode will be enabled in March. It only gives a "Phase". Though that now has odd things like" PF to Q1". BT Q1 is April-June. (Financial year quarters).

Did you make sure you did a "Search all"? There are often a few cabinets serving a postcode and the scheduling can be completely different.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Mar-12 23:40:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

mkel78 here

My postcode is listed as 35% of lines for FTTC - Does that mean that only 35% lines on my postode are going to get fibre. Technically how do they connect a PCP cabinet from a different exchange to another exchange cabinet. Is there some sort of cross over point?

Thanks for your help
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 17-Mar-12 00:23:14
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Did you do a Find, or a Find All? The spreadsheet is not in postcode order, so there may be a few entries for it.

Re how a PCP from exchange A can be connected to an FTTC cabinet that is connected to exchange B, there is no difficulty at all in that. Have a read of my FTTx page to see how cabinets are set up, and you will see it is perfectly feasible. Your copper comes from A, your fibre can come from B.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 17-Mar-12 09:56:39
Print Post

mkel78 here

Thanks for your quick reply :

Here are the entries found for my Postcode

SSFLT FILTON BS328DN {SSFLT}{M_E} 1 38%
SSFLT FILTON BS328DN {SSFLT}{M_F} 1 26%

SSWIB WINTERBOURNE BS328DN {SSWIB}{P16} 0 35% 7.66 7a Yes FTTC

Cabinet 16 is about 0.5 miles down the road from me.

I can already see that postcodes across the main road from me served by SSWIB(P16) (Stoke Gifford) are showing up in Talk Talk fibre checks but mine is not. Could that be because they get their voice from P16's exchange, and I get mine from SSFLT.
I imagine there would be some link up done from SSFLT-(M_E/F) to cabinet 16 to enable 35% of the homes in that area, but in all honesty I don't know what those numbers mean, they are certainly not standard PCP cab numbers.

I hope you can help

Matt
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 17-Mar-12 10:11:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
mkel78 here

Thanks for your quick reply :

Here are the entries found for my Postcode

SSFLT FILTON BS328DN {SSFLT}{M_E} 1 38%
SSFLT FILTON BS328DN {SSFLT}{M_F} 1 26%

SSWIB WINTERBOURNE BS328DN {SSWIB}{P16} 0 35% 7.66 7a Yes FTTC

Cabinet 16 is about 0.5 miles down the road from me.

I can already see that postcodes across the main road from me served by SSWIB(P16) (Stoke Gifford) are showing up in Talk Talk fibre checks but mine is not. Could that be because they get their voice from P16's exchange, and I get mine from SSFLT.
Yes, you appear to get your voice feed from Filton, and are on an Exchange-fed line, (the M_E and M_F, and the "1" mean exchange-fed). FTTC is not possible on those, for technical reasons. FTTP may be in time, but no-one seems to be sure about that.

If you put your number into this checker which exchange does it give you?
I imagine there would be some link up done from SSFLT-(M_E/F) to cabinet 16 to enable 35% of the homes in that area, but in all honesty I don't know what those numbers mean, they are certainly not standard PCP cab numbers.
You've lost me now. The 35% in cab 16 area are already enabled from what you say. It's the rest including you, that aren't on cab 16, that are stuffed.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 17-Mar-12 10:57:18
Print Post

It's Filton -

So you are saying that others in my postcode (35%) currently get their voice from SSWIB - P16.

Sorry I lost you I didn't know that the M_E meant directly connected to the exchange.
Would having a new line installed make any difference (I suspect not)

It's not good news but at least I know.

Thanks again.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 17-Mar-12 13:15:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
It's Filton -

So you are saying that others in my postcode (35%) currently get their voice from SSWIB - P16.
Yes.
Sorry I lost you I didn't know that the M_E meant directly connected to the exchange.

Would having a new line installed make any difference (I suspect not)
Almost certainly not, unless you managed to make (possibly expensive) special arrangements with BT.

The standard provision of a second line to you would be via a spare pair in your existing wire. You would need a completely new supply coming from a junction point or whatever that supplies the ones across the road. If you are sure that those can get FTTC.

If you are pally with someone close on the other side of the road, and are sure as above, it has sometimes been suggested you pay for them to have a second line with the router in a window facing you. Then connect wirelessly.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to