General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 15-Feb-12 17:20:37
Print Post

What router will SKY be using on FTTC come April

[link to this post]

With the announcement of FTTC servive by SKY this coming April, does anyone know what router SKY will be using for the Engineer install.

I am also really trying to fing out what the new NTE will be like that the engineer will install and what cable connection will it be to the Router. I have the SKY ADSL2 SAGEM router current installed and the RJ11 cable is neatly burried into the wall and router 10m away to where the router sits, just trying to see if the existing RJ11 cable will still be used with the new Fibre FTTC router.

Thanks
Standard User epyon
(committed) Wed 15-Feb-12 17:26:25
Print Post

Re: What router will SKY be using on FTTC come April

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Probably the same router but firmware turning a lan into a wan port maybe.

BE*Unlimited 19068/1403Kbps @ 3db INP1
Standard User Yerman164
(regular) Wed 15-Feb-12 17:55:33
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Yes, Sky are using a Sagemcom F@st 2504N for their FTTC.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Feb-12 17:57:15
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Disagree. Turning a LAN port into a WAN is more of a kludge than a proper solution. A proper Ethernet router with the appropriately coloured socket so people can be easily told over the phone where to plug it in is likely. So you have the openreach modem connected to the master socket, or on the end of a data extension is master socket is in a bad location. Modem generally runs best wall mounted. The modem then connects to the supplier supplied router (would expect this to arrive in post before appointment) using an Ethernet cable and RJ45 connectors. The modem will remain the Openreach VDSL2 modem i.e.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 15-Feb-12 18:29:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies,

So basically Will BT change the NTE master socket for a new one (I currently have an original engineer installed ADSL faceplated NTE master socket when ADSL was installed in 2001)

Then from the NTE it will be an RJ45 terminated cat5/6 cable connecting up to the BT Openreach VDSL2 Modem which will then be connected to a new SKY Sagemcom F@ast router via the RJ-11 terminated cable.

Is this right?

If so it looks like I will need to try and put through a 10m cat6 patch cable through my ducted wall to eventually replace the RJ11 cable. I can not place the new VDSL2 modem when the NTE is situated as there is no power supply near by.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 15-Feb-12 18:35:03
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

From NTE to modem will be an RJ11/12 and then from Modem to Hub/Router it needs to be a Cat5e/6 RJ45 terminated Ethernet.

The RJ11/12 supplied is normally a "cheap" flat cable" which is fine for very short distances but much more that 500mm get a 2 twisted pair Cat5e 2 cable with RJ11 plugs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mysticeddy
(learned) Wed 15-Feb-12 19:13:55
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Do you know if the data extension kit BTO supply is of twisted pair varierty?

Cheers.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Feb-12 19:37:56
Print Post

[re: mysticeddy] [link to this post]

Yes the data extension kit is twisted pair

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User think26872
(committed) Wed 15-Feb-12 20:45:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Does anyone know if you had ADSL1 when BT had to do the engineer install (years ago) and they fitted a data extension can this be used for fibre? This would make installation much simpler just a new master faceplate and then plug in the existing data extension? TIA
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Feb-12 20:52:37
Print Post

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

The old data extension should be fine, as should also the old ADSL faceplate splitters

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to