General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User amnlincoln
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-12 19:51:37
Print Post

FTTP in Lincoln

[link to this post]

Lincoln is listed as getting FTTP by the end of March. Does this mean it will be available to all premises or is it just selected areas? If it's only selected areas do BT have a list available to check?

Thanks
Standard User ccxo
(member) Fri 17-Feb-12 12:46:07
Print Post

Re: FTTP in Lincoln

[re: amnlincoln] [link to this post]

What Lincoln will get is a mixture of FTTP and FTTC in the different areas.

There is no offical list from BT that the public is avalible to view, however their has been the leaked Fibre/Postcode documents which do list which postcoes will roughly recieve each service.

There are large sections of lincoln due to get FTTP, with FTTC filling in a few more cabs though like other exchanges there are cabs that are missed.

If you post you're postcode we can say what you will be likely to recive.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User amnlincoln
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 13:24:08
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

That'd be great, my postcode is LN5 8NR

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jhurrell
(experienced) Fri 17-Feb-12 14:14:20
Print Post

That postcode is served by 4 cabs according to the December spreadsheet:

cab 17 (1 % of lines) - FTTP
cab 54 (64% of lines) - no information
cab 59 (1 % of lines) - FTTC
cab 72 (32 % of lines - FTTP

bit of a lottery to be honest.
Standard User amnlincoln
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 14:23:21
Print Post

[re: jhurrell] [link to this post]

Thanks, it is a bit. Is there anyway to find out what cabinet I'm connected to? I wonder what happened to the other 2% of lines?
Standard User jhurrell
(experienced) Fri 17-Feb-12 14:28:05
Print Post

What does the checker say for your line number?

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
Standard User amnlincoln
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 14:34:02
Print Post

For Telephone Number 01522****** on Exchange LINCOLN

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 500Kbps; typically the line speed would range between 250Kbps and 1.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2Mbps and 4Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.
Standard User jhurrell
(experienced) Fri 17-Feb-12 15:03:18
Print Post

Looks like there's nothing on the near horizon.

My own personal postcode is slated for FTTP and my own cab has not been upgraded while many other cabs around it have already (but are not yet live). The BT checker gives me the same result as you - i.e. no mention of anything to do with fibre, while numbers connected to FTTC cabs near me get mentions of fibre in the checker.
Standard User amnlincoln
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 15:12:00
Print Post

Oh right, well that's a little disappointing. Whats even more frustrating is that every other street around me has virgin but we can't get it as it's a new build estate. Guess I'll be stuck with ADSL for a while longer yet. Thanks for your help
Standard User kitcat
(regular) Fri 17-Feb-12 16:10:39
Print Post

You may be lucky. I don't think the line checker gives FTTP very well and will not show until the service is ready to provide.

The new estate is more likely to be suitable for FTTP than the old properties depending on the duct the developer provided.

If you have poles, follow the route out of the estate until you find a cabinet. On it will be a 1 or two digit number, that is likely ( but not absolutely) to be your cabinet.

If no poles, find the nearest BT manhole and follow that down to the entrance to the estate. This should also lead you to a cabinet as above.

If it is cab 59 there should be a new FTTC cab close to it (within 50m). If 17 or 72 there will be no sign of any work.

The FTTP is likely to be placed in a manhole where a splitter will serve up to 32 connections. As this is all new the checker cannot do any checks and you will always get the 'synch' speed you contract for. Download speed will depend on contention across the Internet and the destination site connection which may be LESS than yours.

Could be one on Russel Street, one on Boundary Street, and some from the Next estate behind Boundary street. The no info one could be for the Walker Crisp factory.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to