General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Adsl24
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-12 22:43:39
Print Post

Openreach - waste of engineering resource?

[link to this post]

The cab that serves our office has finally gone live and we've placed our order to migrate 3 ADSL lines over to FTTC.

All orders were placed via the BT wholesale eco system within 2 minutes of each other, are at the same address, and all 3 lines are next to each other on the wall in the server room.

I can't understand why Openreach have booked 3 different dates for the 3 installations, considering it would just require 1 engineer who could easily perform the 3 line switchover during the same visit.

We have one appointment for the 29th Feb, one for the 6th March and the other on 7th March. So apart from there being 3 different dates, they are also a week apart from the first one, strange!

Isn't that just silly, and a waste of Openreach engineering time. After trying our hardest to get the dates all aligned they insist they can't bring the 6th/7th March installations forward to the same date as the 29th Feb engineer visit.

I'm not *that* bothered either way, but I just think it's a waste of resource and cost for everyone involved...

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User stevepressman
(regular) Fri 24-Feb-12 02:10:53
Print Post

Re: Openreach - waste of engineering resource?

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

That has got to be the joke of the week smile It's totally farcical !!!

Steve

My Broadband Speed Test

ADSL24 Fibre 30 Pro
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Feb-12 09:24:39
Print Post

They would not have created the booking system with the idea that multiple moves would happen on the same day in the same building.

Thinking about it from a risk point of view, better to stagger them, in case they mess up, imagine if all three lines went wrong on the same day.

The time slot system is the killer, i.e. given a slot of X time with Y to travel to next job, and there was probably only ONE slot left on the 29th.

Did you enquire as to whether there was an expedited option? Too late now if you have already ordered though.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Adsl24
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-12 09:28:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

We enquired and they stated they have not got the engineering resource to bring them forward, but my point is that the engineer that is already booked for the 29th visit should be able to do it, but they're not having it.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Feb-12 09:34:21
Print Post

And that engineer will have a 30min or 1 hour window to install your service. Which allows for data extension etc then they have to go off to the next job.

Making them do three installs in that single window seems unfair on the engineer, or on the others who have bookings immediately afterwards.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 24-Feb-12 11:00:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Most of the Technicians time will be driving from premises to cabinet, unlocking cabinets, relocking cabinets and driving back to the customer not doing the actual installation work. Adding a second, or third would not put an undue strain on them and as te following bookings will be AM or PM and not exact times will the following customers actually know?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Feb-12 11:33:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Not saying its not feasible, just pointing out that Openreach will be setup to deal with one line per property per appointment slot most likely. so three lines would mean three slots in a row.

Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Feb-12 19:52:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
The cab that serves our office has finally gone live and we've placed our order to migrate 3 ADSL lines over to FTTC.

All orders were placed via the BT wholesale eco system within 2 minutes of each other, are at the same address, and all 3 lines are next to each other on the wall in the server room.

I can't understand why Openreach have booked 3 different dates for the 3 installations, considering it would just require 1 engineer who could easily perform the 3 line switchover during the same visit.

We have one appointment for the 29th Feb, one for the 6th March and the other on 7th March. So apart from there being 3 different dates, they are also a week apart from the first one, strange!

Isn't that just silly, and a waste of Openreach engineering time. After trying our hardest to get the dates all aligned they insist they can't bring the 6th/7th March installations forward to the same date as the 29th Feb engineer visit.

I'm not *that* bothered either way, but I just think it's a waste of resource and cost for everyone involved...

How long did it take to show your cabinet as live on the BT Whoesale checker from when the power was installed?

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Bobby_Valentino (Fri 24-Feb-12 21:01:52)

Standard User CutieCakes
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 20:11:23
Print Post

Re: Openreach - waste of engineering resource? *DELETED*

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Post deleted by seb
Standard User hareng
(learned) Fri 24-Feb-12 22:27:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
We enquired and they stated they have not got the engineering resource to bring them forward, but my point is that the engineer that is already booked for the 29th visit should be able to do it, but they're not having it.

I think we know the reason why, only BT could get away with that. Any other organisation would fold in no time at all due to gross inefficiency.
Is this the reason the setup has increased?

My setup was bought forward by the actual engineer over 4hrs, he was only 3 mile away and took the initiative by phoning first.
Next callout another engineer had to travel 33 mile to me then on to some where else 36 mile away in rush hour traffic, like thats gonna happen therefore having to book another slot.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to